Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I did that day :yes:, but normally 30 is good, can get to 33 or 35 on a steady flowing run.

I used to venture your way a bit to, went to uni in Glamorgan and used to blast the motorbikes your way on weekends, some lovely roads.

Once did a cycling training course at Hereford for some army lads, was a blinder, especially the night in bushwackers, but I'm going back a fair bit lol. 

Having read the earlier parts of this thread, I have spent the past week (around 700 miles) driving in PWR mode. Presumably, it uses the Battery a bit more when accelerating. The upshot is that I am getting 2-3 mpg more than I was used to on the same runs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mike Hartland said:

Having read the earlier parts of this thread, I have spent the past week (around 700 miles) driving in PWR mode. Presumably, it uses the battery a bit more when accelerating. The upshot is that I am getting 2-3 mpg more than I was used to on the same runs.

Interesting, doesn't the manual say PWR is primarily for mountainous roads?

Have you tried a comparison with the Sport mode too?

• Like 1

Wonder if the principle of getting to speed faster, using more fuel, versus more time off the gas using less fuel.

Either that or as it a bit warmer, tires bit harder and thus less rolling resistance, or wind speed lol

Need someone with access to track or test ground to do some controlled testing.

• Like 1

Having had a Prius, and belonging to the Prius forum it was proved long ago that accelerating briskly up to speed, and then easing off got better MPG than gently gathering speed over a longer distance. It is quite possible this principle also applies to the GS450H.

John. 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I have a 2010 gs450h. In pwr mode the throttle response is noticably much quicker. But sports mode you won't feel much of a difference unless your on a really winedy road. there's a mountain pass which is a shortcut to work I take everynow and then and in normal road the car feels really heavy especially downhill on the bends, I put it in sports mode and it feels soo much better. I don't know about the throttle response but I think it was ment for bendy roads

Chad,

Sport mode stiffens up the dampers, increases the steering ratio i.e. you don't need to turn the wheel so much for a given bend, and quicken the throttle response. So yes, more fun on bendy roads.

John

On 3/20/2017 at 12:17 AM, derkins said:

According to the manual the SPORT only firms the suspension, more of a 'normal'/'firm' switch. POWER gives it all the beans with a much improved throttle response and all available power. Think Low/Medium/High instead of Snow/Normal/Power.

Using both is advised if pushing along on twisty roads. NOT advised in the wet or poor road surface (potholes).

The regeneration also appears to be more active in POWER mode... Probably due to the more time spent braking after piling into corners harder!

Well that's my experience. 2009 Gs450h

Sport 100% adjusts the throttle response as well. Its noticeable more responsive.

On 3/27/2017 at 8:18 PM, Britprius said:

You must have a heavy right foot. Try taking off your boots. I get the mid 30's in my GS, 32 MPG is low for me. Where I live even dual carriage ways are rare. There is a section on the A49 going in to Hereford but it only runs for about 1/2 a mile before going back to single road.

When I was working I often came your way "well maybe once a month" as the company I worked for were based in Thetford.

John.

I get 32ish on normal motorway travel.... always obeying the speed limit of course.... not constantly 20+ mph above it 😉

I get 35ish driving conservatively.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:47 PM, Upex said:

Wonder if the principle of getting to speed faster, using more fuel, versus more time off the gas using less fuel.

Either that or as it a bit warmer, tires bit harder and thus less rolling resistance, or wind speed lol

Need someone with access to track or test ground to do some controlled testing.

More likely the direct control of the car, going faster will never make you more fuel efficient except in very
rare circumstances (and I'm talking like 1-2mph ranges due to aerodynamic shockwaves forming like when 
you approach Mach 1, which is unlikely in most cars 😉 )

If you've driven a car with no automatic assists for a long time previously, you are used to feathering the 
accelerator, with sports mode off the car does it as well, so you get kinda a double effect, also the car
is kinda trying to guess what you are about to do so ends up revving the engine more as you have to 
put your foot down harder to achieve the same response, but it doesn't  know if you are just going for a
blip of power or sustained acceleration. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, westo3 said:

I have a GS 300 premier with sport and sport + never heard of a power button, is that only on the GS450?

It's a series III thing, not on the series IV as they have sport / sport+ instead (both 300h and 450h).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links