Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Greased brake callipers today. Rear ones had no grease and almost got rusted in few months time.

Used cera tec. So I will not recommend cera tec anymore.

Wish to know:

Part number for Toyota red grease

Part numbers for rear caliper boots upper and lower

Took me whole day to do this job... what a pain this is. Isn't there a permanent fix for this issue??

• Like 1

You mention using the Toyota Red grease, if this is the grease that is used in the manufacture and subsequent service dept's on these calipers then I would seriously think about getting something better as it seems to not work very well with all the reports of calipers (slide pins) seizing up. 

I would be tempted ( and I will use this in the future ) to try something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252530898001?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

paul m.

From Noobie's previous posts the grease is  08887-83010. Its about £10 a tube.

There is no permanent fix ..... the pins have to be greased. Do them once a year. It will save money and the more you do it the quicker you'll be at it.

You can find it on eBay too.

Hi, I also use a silicon grease  Loctite super lube every year and have not had any problems ,I think Cera Tec was developed as a metal free alternative to copper grease ,to coat the backs of brake pads for anti squeal and an anti seize compound .

Dave

8 hours ago, normski2 said:

From Noobie's previous posts the grease is  08887-83010. Its about £10 a tube.

There is no permanent fix ..... the pins have to be greased. Do them once a year. It will save money and the more you do it the quicker you'll be at it.

You can find it on ebay too.

That's the one...

Not had an issue with it since using - comes in a toothpaste sized tube - its not only the lubrication from the grease that you need to consider, its also the interaction it has with the rubber seals on the caliper - the wrong type of grease will attack the seals and while initially fine, you will see a marked difference in how the rubber fits and protects the moving parts when greasing again (wont contract and seal as well) - once this happens then dirt and water can get in and that's when the problems start - doesn't take long for the parts to rust and seize.

Personally, I would rather re-grease the pins regularly than change the rubber seals on a regular basis. I grease mine every 6 months (after the winter and before the winter) it can be done annually but its my preference to do them on a 6 month basis - while doing them I will oil all the rubbers and give the arches a good clean also. Keeps the car in good shape - also alerts you to other emerging issues in the wheel arches.

13 hours ago, Texas said:

You mention using the Toyota Red grease, if this is the grease that is used in the manufacture and subsequent service dept's on these calipers then I would seriously think about getting something better as it seems to not work very well with all the reports of calipers (slide pins) seizing up. 

I would be tempted ( and I will use this in the future ) to try something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252530898001?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

paul m.

The red rubber grease is what's used by the service guys but the issue is that greasing the calipers is not on any regular service plan. It needs to be done annually (at least) - with it not being a requirement for any service then the calipers can go years without checking until they finally seize.

To just grease the pins on all 4 corners it takes 1 hour which is nothing compared to the cost and hassle you will have if they seize.

I would stick to the OEM grease or a recommendation from people who have used it long term with no issue as trying different compounds out can result in problems. In all honesty it depends on how often you grease the pins as to how they last.

I simply used the same grease I use in my mountain bike suspension forks. It's made by a company called pace. It states on the tub that it is safe on rubber.

I also greased the rear pins this weekend and they were very close to being totally seized. I got them out with a bit of effort and greased them up.

It's very important to keep on top of this as my is250 has just 25k on the clock. If I had left it any longer they would have seized solid. 

Very easy job and had both the rears sorted in around 40 minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peachy said:

I simply used the same grease I use in my mountain bike suspension forks. It's made by a company called pace. It states on the tub that it is safe on rubber.

I also greased the rear pins this weekend and they were very close to being totally seized. I got them out with a bit of effort and greased them up.

It's very important to keep on top of this as my is250 has just 25k on the clock. If I had left it any longer they would have seized solid. 

Very easy job and had both the rears sorted in around 40 minutes. 

It really needs to be a hi temp grease, if not it will either break down or harden to a gum with continual heating up/cooling down within the caliper.and it wont act as a water repellent should any get in if the grease isn't suitable..

How do you guys do it in 40 mins...

See jacking up and preparing tools takes 1 hour. Then each side takes 40 mins. You remove, tyre , caliper,  clips, pins,  pads then clean and grease. Then everything back in. 40 mins to 1 hour each side. And putting back the clips is a pain. Also, you need to rewind the piston. And if you over fill the grease, then remove it again as pads won't go in... 40 mins... no way.

Re used the pads I had replaced few months ago.

This is my third time I am doing this job.It is a pain as I would want a solution to this problem and not worry every few months. Every 12 months is ok but nothing before that. Have a life to live as well then maintain cars.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

Re used the pads I had replaced few months ago.

This is my third time I am doing this job.It is a pain as I would want a solution to this problem and not worry every few months. Every 12 months is ok but nothing before that. Have a life to live as well then maintain cars.

If you do them correctly they will last twelve months, a couple of hours a year maintaining your brakes is hardly a task that takes time out of your life, is it? or are you being a bit dramatic? :tongue:

8 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

How do you guys do it in 40 mins...

See jacking up and preparing tools takes 1 hour. Then each side takes 40 mins. You remove, tyre , caliper,  clips, pins,  pads then clean and grease. Then everything back in. 40 mins to 1 hour each side. And putting back the clips is a pain. Also, you need to rewind the piston. And if you over fill the grease, then remove it again as pads won't go in... 40 mins... no way.

An hour tops - it comes from doing them often - theres not a lot of parts to remove and its a relatively simple process in greasing them.

I've recently taken out a service plan with toyota. I pay £15 a month direct debit. Toyota have assured me and I have it in writing that they will grease all four caliper slide pins at each service.

On my previous is220d the rear calipers had seized solid and cost me hundreds to replace as I needed new caliper housing too.

At least now I can be rest assured it won't happen on my current vehicle. 

A full day, you're joking.......

I replaced the sons four brake discs and four coil springs on his Vectra, cleaned greased and put it all back together in a steady 5 hours, and that was including tea and a lunch break.

4 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I've recently taken out a service plan with toyota. I pay £15 a month direct debit. Toyota have assured me and I have it in writing that they will grease all four caliper slide pins at each service.

On my previous is220d the rear calipers had seized solid and cost me hundreds to replace as I needed new caliper housing too.

At least now I can be rest assured it won't happen on my current vehicle. 

Who are you going to get to check they've done what they promised?

After a service, you can see that the oil has been changed, it's a different colour.....for the other stuff you have to have trust.  Develop a rapport with your service provider, they're more likely to look after you properly :smile:.

12 minutes ago, Verbout said:

Who are you going to get to check they've done what they promised?

Well nobody I guess and as steveledzep said I'll just have to trust they did as promised and I will remind them each time I take my vehicle in for service. 

I recently had a major at toyota and they greased the calipers at no extra cost.

I got talking to the staff at the time and told me seizing calipers  (especially the rears) are common on many toyota vehicles as well as lexus and this particular dealership, westlands toyota always grease the calipers on vehicles in for full or major services. 

Something lexus dealerships don't do apparently. 

• Like 1