Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So the new LS500h has been fully revealed at the Geneva Motor show this week. Get ready because this is going to be a LONG one! 

Starting off with some pics!

17-03-07-lexus-ls-hero-image.jpg

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-rear.jpg

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-interior.jpg

Nothing much has changed on the exterior from the LS500 revealed earlier apart from a different rear diffuser and some badging.

Hybrid system

The LS500h comes with the same hybrid setup from the LC500h - this means a 3.5l V6 engine mated to a multi-stage hybrid system which consists of an E-CVT in conjunction with a 4 speed automatic transmission to give a 10 speed transmission. This provides better fuel efficiency and performance. I believe the 1st gear can slip the wheels and let the LS500h do burnouts! The system provides a total output of 354hp.

The LC500h also uses lithium ion batteries. This has resulted in a smaller total Battery size and increased boot space as a result. The use of lithium ion batteries has resulted in lower overall mass of the vehicle as well.

Technology

Lexus safety system + includes all features currently available on other models including a brand new system. The advanced system includes pedestrian detection and active steering which will apply the brakes and steer around the person. Lexus CoDriver is another addition which will provide steering control and continuous driving support on motorways.

The new system also prevents accidents from occurring. It covers common types of accidents such as rear end shunts, pedestrian accidents, accidents at junctions and lane departures. It does this using many sensors scattered around the car.

Drive

The LS500h will come with adaptive variable suspension (AVS), air suspension and Lexus Dynamic Handling. LDH will turn the rear wheels at small angles resulting in a smaller turning circle and increased agility. The air suspension features an Access function which raises the car to allow graceful ingress and egress. This is combined with seat bolsters which open to welcome anyone who wishes to enter.

As the new LS is also based on the GA-L platform, it will have a lower centre of gravity and excellent driving dynamics similiar to the LC.

Interior 

Arguably the best feature of the vehicle. The interior features a new Mark Levinson Reference sound system featuring Quantum Logic Immersion sound tuning. 

Significant sound deadening has been added to the LS500h along with Active Noise Control which cancels engine frequencies using the speakers for a serene experience. 

The front seats are all new with 28 way adjustment, massage, cooling and heating and a 24" colour heads up display is available for added safety and convenience.

Additionally, the infotainment system has been upgraded. The car uses an all new system with a touchpad and can also recognise written letters. 

Key features of the interior include hand pleated door trims, reinforced glass ornaments and new laser cut wood trims.

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-interior-seats.jp

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-rear-seats.jpg

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-audio.jpg

17-03-07-lexus-ls-door-handle.jpg

• Like 5

To be totally honest I do not like it,several reasons shout out, over elaborated the interior looks very 1970s Datsun with a lot of tinsil, the swept contours are too much for me.

The electronics and aids to driving are not only taking out the driving sensation but are a mutiple of complexities that can go expensively wrong.

The real killer is the front grill which reminds me of a shop front burglar defence. 

I am so fortunate in owning the Mark 4, yes it is dated but it is dated like a Gainsborough or a Monet a time warp machine that never ceases to impress

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Malc said:

and the price in the UK ?

Malc

The price hasn't been released in the UK but - its going to be roughly the same price as the LC so expect a starting price of £76k. 

Something I forgot to mention is that the Lexus LS is now Long Wheelbase only.

5 hours ago, ambermarine said:

To be totally honest I do not like it,several reasons shout out, over elaborated the interior looks very 1970s Datsun with a lot of tinsil, the swept contours are too much for me.

The electronics and aids to driving are not only taking out the driving sensation but are a mutiple of complexities that can go expensively wrong.

The real killer is the front grill which reminds me of a shop front burglar defence. 

I am so fortunate in owning the Mark 4, yes it is dated but it is dated like a Gainsborough or a Monet a time warp machine that never ceases to impress

It seems to be a common theme with Lexus nowadays that the cars don't look great in photos but tend to look much better in person - I believe its something to do with angles being poorly portrayed in pictures. 

On a side note, the electronics can certainly be turned off. You do not need to have the safety systems running including the pre-collision system and its a Lexus so we'll just presume its unlikely to go wrong - ever!

Having said that, the Chief Exec wants to provoke reactions with the new lineup regardless of whether its positive/negative and these cars certainly do that. Sales have gone through the roof since the introduction of the "Spindle Grill"

Regardless, its hard to argue with the sheer detail and craftsmanship gone into the car:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Lexus have released a teaser photo of the F-Sport variant being showcased on 12th April 2017

Can't really see much change at the rear apart from the chrome appears to have been swapped for shadow chrome

17-04-04-lexus-ls-f-sport-full.jpg

It is probably amazing but that mauve and black interior really should be illegal, and that grill just scares young children and old men.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 6:59 PM, rayaans said:

So the new LS500h has been fully revealed at the Geneva Motor show this week. Get ready because this is going to be a LONG one! 

Starting off with some pics!

17-03-07-lexus-ls-hero-image.jpg

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-rear.jpg

17-03-07-lexus-ls-500h-interior.jpg

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MLW said:

It is probably amazing but that mauve and black interior really should be illegal, and that grill just scares young children and old men.

Im sure there are other more traditional options available - namely beige or black! 

Nothing wrong with scaring young children and old men - they need to be put in place sometimes! Especially after the amount of old men jumping out into the road on their 4 wheelers!

I don't think my fluffy dice would look too good in there!

Hate the front grill ever since Audi introduced the idea with the raging Bull Lexus copied it and made it an unfavourite car.  Like the lights on some cars seem meant to intimidate in the rear view mirror.

Frightening Children and old men must be really satisfying  What are Car designers about these days?

If its what the young blades want then Sales will tell it all.

Having just seen the new High Performance Mercedes- AMG - GLC63 Debut with Bi-Turbo V8  what have they done to that grill?  - looks like an old BMW - Apols for the swearing!  and no I don't really have any dice!

interesting car. not sure if i like it though, need to see it in traffic amongst other cars. It does stand out with the long bonnet and wide low stance it reminds me of an aston taraf..

As it looks sooo much different then the german competitors i think it will remain a niche model. ( again..) the vast majority of potential buyers will flock to the german 3 or jag.

Might sell well in the States though.

Well i like it every last thing about it,,, would look daft with a original front grille and interior of a orginal LS lol..... 

i do agreee slightly with Stuart ref the audi front grille when it first came out  but have always liked the new style lexus grille

now on the subject of audi....... i hate the new running indicator lights , annoys the crap out of me seeing them but thats just my opinion and really hope lexus dont follow this design

i have an aversion to looking at Dogs dangly bits but maybe thats just me? 

Trying to keep clean that grill would I imagine be a nightmare. evey little triangle getting dirt in the corners despite washing.  Still, I wouldn't mind hiring one for a day and posing!

Don't know what I meant on reflection about Merc AMG grill being like an old Beemer as more like a modern beemer - I think.

Prefer the Horizontal lines to grills.  Anyone noticed that Ford have a grill much like the Aston Martin or once again is it my eyesight failing.