Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Bolton and Hybrid battery check

Just had the cam belt changes at Lexus Bolton, very friendly people, fixed price with no extras. On the drive home noticed that the economy had improved from before so a reset of the ISC was probably needed.
On a second topic, will the techstream software carry out a hybrid Battery check or do Lexus use a different piece of kit?

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

So what was the fixed price and did you have the idler pulley/tensioner and water pump done at the same time? Oh, and what is ISC? :whistling1:

A quick google came up with the following info. NB - this is pertaining to a Toyota Prius but reading it does seem to suggest that yes, testing of the hybrid Battery can be done with Techstream software.

https://priuschat.com/threads/how-to-test-hv-battery-state-of-health-on-your-gen-2-answer.163112/

ISC is idle speed controller IIRC - if your engine is idling slightly high it will decrease average mpg a bit. The american forums swear by resetting them regularly but it's a convoluted process as is the norm with these cars.

How much was the cam belt from lexus on a 400h? 

Cheers everyone. No I didn't have the water pump or idlers changed, the cost was as their fixed price tariffs £295.I would assume that if the water pump was about to go then it would show signs of leakage and so would have been spotted during the work. I work on the assumption that "if it aint broke, don't fix it". They must have reset something cos on the return 50 mile journey it averaged 31.8 mpg, it's never been that high since I got it.

1 hour ago, Gliderpilot said:

Cheers everyone. No I didn't have the water pump or idlers changed, the cost was as their fixed price tariffs £295.I would assume that if the water pump was about to go then it would show signs of leakage and so would have been spotted during the work. I work on the assumption that "if it aint broke, don't fix it". They must have reset something cos on the return 50 mile journey it averaged 31.8 mpg, it's never been that high since I got it.

Usually you have the water pump done at the same time because it's basically in the same place as the timing belt. In other words, 90% of the work that's just been done to get at the belt will have to be done again when/if the water pump fails, so instead of adding 30 or 40 quid onto a job that's already being done, when/if the water pump goes you'll end up with another £300 bill. Replacing the idlers is just good practice and also usually done at the same time as the belt.

I had belt, idlers/pulleys, water pump and coolant replaced for (if I remember correctly) about £425 - £435 at an independent garage.

I had a seat alhambra with the 1.9 PD TDI engine which is apparently well known for it's chocolate water pumps - some can even take out the cam belt due to jamming when they go. 'Luckily' mine 'only' failed and stopped pumping causing £3k's worth of warped head rather than totally destroying the engine. 

It always seemed like a big design flaw. My instinct now is to replace the pump and tensioners whenever the belt is done to avoid multiple big bills or an obscene one in the future, but I can also see the if it aint broke don't fix it side of things too. I'd be more inclined to do this on a Lexus than other makes for sure.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links