Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS250 Boot Won't Close

Hi Guys, hope everyone,s well!

Have a problem with my boot, it won't close :(

Was loading up with shopping, then boot won't close. Checked and there is nothing in the way of the latch but it keeps bouncing back and not locking on the boot floor loop. Tried taking my key to manually turn the latch but it keeps coming back and won't hold.

Remote or internal boot release button does nothing, googled but can only find other complaining about Boot won't open so not much about my situation where boot won't close.

Can anyone help please as I need a fix asap - Car is located in Central London.

Thank you.

Yes, I have tried to use a screwdriver in the lock but the little bit in the latch does not lock and just comes back - Its almost like a spring pulls it back.

Will check for fuse, but though it was part of the central locking and I have no issue with my doors.

How annoying, has the boot been awkward to close for a while?  

Does the boot have bump stops like the bonnet, if so then maybe they need winding in a turn or two?

Just now, Farqui said:

Does the boot have bump stops like the bonnet, if so then maybe they need winding in a turn or two?

Normally its the boot lock mechanism that breaks, is it complete if so then defo electrical. Unplug the lead see if power is getting to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farqui said:

2 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Normally its the boot lock mechanism that breaks, is it complete if so then defo electrical. Unplug the lead see if power is getting to it.

The boot has been fine all this time and never given me any trouble. Every thing looks like in place and nothing broken, it just wont lock or hold the lock.

Will try taking the boot lining off and inspect further, as just seen a Youtube US video for a ES and the guy was saying that there is a spring that can go defective so does not hold the lock. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

The boot has been fine all this time and never given me any trouble. Every thing looks like in place and nothing broken, it just wont lock or hold the lock.

Will try taking the boot lining off and inspect further, as just seen a Youtube US video for a ES and the guy was saying that there is a spring that can go defective so does not hold the lock. 

9 minutes ago, Ishaq said:

Cable or spring may of snapped i have had a spring snap before. But its rare and not on a Lexus.

Might sound like a daft suggestion but do you have a set of keys in the boot assigned to the car - is the boot preventing itself from locking / closing because it thinks theres a key in the boot?

• Like 1

Yep it does do that, I've taken my coat off with my keys in the pocket and put it in the boot. Smart Lexus saved me from lots of embarassment

• Like 1

So what if I have the keys in my trouser pocket whilst closing the boot, are saying the boot won't close?

never happend before, I will take the latch off this weekend and inspect further. May have to look at some breakers as well.

I had exactly the same problem with the bonnet.  Couldn't get it to shut for love nor money. 

I called out the rac and it was sorted in 15 minutes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peachy said:

I had exactly the same problem with the bonnet.  Couldn't get it to shut for love nor money. 

I called out the rac and it was sorted in 15 minutes. 

So pray tell What did the rac man ( I assume it was a geezer!) do to fix it in 15 mins?

paul m.

Your very lucky RAC came out for a boot not closing maybe it was a quiet day or night. Didn't think they will class that as a breakdown. I have AA

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Yep it does do that, I've taken my coat off with my keys in the pocket and put it in the boot. Smart Lexus saved me from lots of embarassment

So I gotta ask, how does the smart Lexus know the exact location (not distance) of the key, precisely weather the key in Inside or Outside of the boot, as if in pocket outside of car then they could actually be closer than in inside the boot up against the rear seat backs?

paul m.

10 hours ago, Ishaq said:

So what if I have the keys in my trouser pocket whilst closing the boot, are saying the boot won't close?

never happend before, I will take the latch off this weekend and inspect further. May have to look at some breakers as well.

The problem i have if i have spare keys in my work bag, i can not open boot only with the switch. If i am working on brother in laws Avensis.

I can not even get in my car with the fob. Now that is a strange one. 

With John on that one ... the sensor in the boot is located under the carpet by the spare wheel - weird looking object !

Might be worth looking to see if it has been damaged but I am not sure how this will translate to the boot not locking.

UPDATE:

Went to fix or inspect further and to my amazement the boot is working now.

Dont know what happened!! Maybe its some sort of spring that didnt allow the latch to lock and stay locked.

Thank you all for the help and advise. Back to loving my Lexus :)