Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Transmission fluid changing explained

5 hours ago, Malc said:

and does anybody know the Mk3 Ls400 recommendation ?  I can't find it in my manual !

Malc

Well in the service record booklet it says replace every 36,000 miles.

OMG so it does ....................  but not mentioned in the Manual at all.

Thank you

so does  " replace "   mean   " change "   or   " flush "  ?

Thoughts please

Malc

29 minutes ago, Malc said:

OMG so it does ....................  but not mentioned in the Manual at all.

Thank you

so does  " replace "   mean   " change "   or   " flush "  ?

Thoughts please

Malc

Isn't it dependent on colour? Dark=flush, red= change?

but what does Lexus  " replace " mean in the 36,000 mile Service Record book ?         to definitely " replace "  whatever the oil condition as that just isn't mentioned.

The video refers to a Jaguar and looking to change the oil at 100k miles !

Malc

With Mercedes the atf is drained and refilled every 36k miles. Flushing would only be needed if the service schedule hadn't been followed before and the atf is older than 36k miles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malc said:

but what does Lexus  " replace " mean in the 36,000 mile Service Record book ?         to definitely " replace "  whatever the oil condition as that just isn't mentioned.

Malc

Take a look at the colour first that will tell you more than any service history. I think the 36,000 miles change was a drain and refill which is only about 2 litres of fluid a flush would take anything from 10 litres and above and you'd be as well to drop the pan and change the filter/strainer if going for the flush. I'll be doing a flush/filter soon on mine as it has 198,000 miles on the clock and Lexus serviced it up to 170,000 miles so supposing they did the changes as in the book and looking at the colour (light brown) it needs changing. The reason I'll do a flush is because there's fluid in there that is really quite old and it has to be better with completely new fluid in it. The filter/strainer is there to do exactly what it's name implies and if you think that they don't need changing at some time go ahead and leave it and next time you do an oil change just put oil in there and change the filter when you feel like it! There are also some magnets in the bottom of the pan to catch any miniscule pieces of metal as the gearbox wears. When checking the level of the transmission dont use any lint like cloth as just a wee thread going back in could mess up your gearbox. Sealant for Gearbox is now Loctite Si5660 "the only difference you will notice is the product is slower to fully cure I would suggest to leave the assembled part overnight before filling with oil and running it" the manufacturer stating the difference between the new sealant and old.

8 hours ago, shanra said:

The filter/strainer is there to do exactly what it's name implies and if you think that they don't need changing at some time go ahead and leave it

I'm scratching my head here but I thought I read an authoritative post on here ( some months past i guess )  where the filter/strainer could be cleaned and not necessarily replaced  ..........  which replacement cost was a bit eye watering  ..........  did anyone else remember that post maybe ?

Thanks

Malc

The strainer is metal. If you're taking off the pan I'd be meticuosly clean with all parts the bottom of the pan will quite likely have some gunge in it and that needs cleaning off also. There are a few good guides about and a good one on Soarer World where you'll find lots of good information as the Soarer V8 shared a lot of parts with the LS 400 in particular the engine and gearbox.

• Like 1

Drain and refill 2 litres, but I've copied that from on the forum so I'd check that just in case. Looking around that does seem to be what people get out.

I really think they are living in the past when we had so called sealed for life boxes a lot of the manufacturers are back pedalling on that one now. I know it's a Mercedes video but I think it's relevant!

1 hour ago, cornershop said:

Why do the main dealer insist a transmission oil change wasn't needed on my mk4?

My Mk4 had a full flush at 160K, the oil was brown, not totally dark, I had no idea of what previous owners had done in terms of ATF changes.

My regular Lexus mechanic said full flush might be a good idea, so i went ahead, and it was about £170 (I recall). On the other hand he said you can get away with silly mileages so long as you do a drain/replace, and looking at the 'Chris the Fix' video it kind of makes sense.

Not experienced any problems with slipping, or dodgy gear changes, did seem to make changes a little smoother when I really put the pedal to the floor, and fuel consumption did not change after the full flush. 

I assume main dealers see the gearbox as bullet proof so no need for full flushes, and maybe they are not keen because they end up with a lot more yucky oil to pay someone to take away. 

• Like 1

On 10/03/2017 at 4:18 PM, Malc said:

Malc

QUESTION  so then guys ..........  is it certain that one should drain and refill that which has drained ( say 2 litres ) every 36,000 miles ?

Malc

There is conflicting advice in the owners manual and service record schedules;

In the owners manual it states the transmission oil should be drain & refill 1.9 litres  with no interval mentioned.

In the service schedule it states that transmission oil should be changed every 36000 miles.

My understanding of this is as follows;

My Mark 4 as just completed 35k miles and the transmission fluid is pink so I assume from that that the 36000 oil change is a drain and refill of 1.9 litres ,because if 1.9 litres is approx 20% of the gearbox capacity a change of that amount would keep the oil in optimum condition.

On my mark 1 the transmission oil was not changed until it had done 140k  miles and it was red not brown so I did a complete change on the 2 litres out 2 litres in drive round the block repeat the exercise using approx 12 litres until the oil is near to pink.

To do this method you will need to pump the oil out of the dipstick tube ,not drain it from the pan.

• Like 2