Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

If you couldn't have an IS-F but wanted a reliable V8......

Just seen a post that mentions the price of an E63 warranty and this got me thinking. If the IS-F didn't exist, what reliable V8 saloon car would I buy (for similar or less money)?

What would you go for?

I'd to be too scared to go German - so, BMW, Audi, Merc are out of the window. 

My choice..... the well known marriage of Sweden and Japan. The left field choice, the Volvo S80 V8. Could get one at a song and then supercharge it :)

Id probably go back to the 2nd gen 2005 Lexus GS430 i used to own or preferably one of those really hard to find GS460's. Once i fitted a custom twin 4" exhaust system to it the V8 was released.

• Like 1

Well now you are asking and after I finished talking to you this afternoon I pulled out of a space and this pulled in filth utter filth 😂

Ok it's a 12 I'd be prepared to slum it in an 8 😏

Big RatIMG_2492.JPGIMG_2493.JPGIMG_2494.JPGIMG_2495.JPG

• Like 3

Um, I suppose a lancia thema 8.32 wouldn't be classed as reliable. .. shame! 

Now there's an interesting choice.

I happen to have such an engine in the garage, a long term project...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

Um, I suppose a lancia thema 8.32 wouldn't be classed as reliable. .. shame! 

I remember those real wolf in sheeps clothing...... oh it won't start...... oh it's rusting before my eyes........ 😂

🐀

I'd go back to the bomb proof M113 supercharged 5.5 litre engine in the Mercedes E or CLS , preferred the CLS as it doesn't look like a thousand other Merc taxis .... :yahoo:

11 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Well now you are asking and after I finished talking to you this afternoon I pulled out of a space and this pulled in filth utter filth 😂

Ok it's a 12 I'd be prepared to slum it in an 8 😏

Big RatIMG_2492.JPGIMG_2493.JPGIMG_2494.JPGIMG_2495.JPG

That or the V12 vantage have got to be my favourite looking car!

I really wanted to own a V8 and thought I'll drive all of the usual stuff such as an M3, RS4,C63,XFR.  The M3 was the only other one I really enjoyed driving but couldn't get over the image and how common they are.  I probably would look at another Skyline GTR or even the new Civic Type R to be honest.

Luckily the GSF and RCF are around so I might be able to move to them when the ISF has had it.  I just love the engine too much

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

I wouldn't park my Aston that close to the trolleys. :ohmy:

He's straddling the space anyway, I think it's a bit cheeky actually.  Maybe ok at the far end of a car park but that will be near the doo!lol

3 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I wouldn't park my Aston that close to the trolleys. :ohmy:

That is not the only reason his (or her) parking is dodgy.... what about parking within the lanes?  

20 hours ago, Warrington guy said:

My preference would be a jag xfrs . They sound amazing even with the stock exhaust 

20 hours ago, gumball3000 said:

XKR Jag

Either of these two. Still want to own a XKR 5.0 at some point. That engine is an absolute peach and the supercharger whine is addictive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GibletPH said:

Either of these two. Still want to own a XKR 5.0 at some point. That engine is an absolute peach and the supercharger whine is addictive. 

@GibletPH  A close friend is on his fourth XK/XKR he's had 2 4.2 and 2 5.0 his present one is probably one of  the last made.

Ive driven a few of these and his cars extensively, they are good very good, it's probably a car that many 'drivers ' don't really appreciate it for what it is bit like an ISF in that regard.

His have been very reliable the 5.0's more so probably because they've ironed out any earlier issues and he drives as they were intended, he has experienced some handling issues with them, most the weight is at the front the tyres are very wide and in wet weather aquaplaining is something that has to be kept in mind.

I got him up to advance driver level and just to prove the point on his final advance drive with the examiner whilst joining the M4 westbound at junction 18 the car aquaplained he fishtailed wildly twice without any warning but controlled it and there was no contact with anything 😳.

None of this has taken away the ownership enjoyment of them for him, and you are right that supercharger is something else 😏

I think I would put one on my shortlist as well, and seriously putting all the Silver joking I do to one side for a moment they really do look right in this colour to my eyes.

Big Rat

• Like 1

VXR8.  My brother's father in law has a Supercharged one.  It's unreal...  Both the noise and the speed.

Would have to put HSV badges on it though as Vauxhall are clearly French nowadays ;-)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FTBBCVoodoo said:

VXR8.  My brother's father in law has a Supercharged one.  It's unreal...  Both the noise and the speed.

Would have to put HSV badges on it though as Vauxhall are clearly French nowadays ;-)

@FTBBCVoodoo This is a good badge for it matey covers both aspects the new owners and it's as Clarkson says it's 'SPORTY'

Big RatIMG_2496.JPG

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@GibletPH  A close friend is on his fourth XK/XKR he's had 2 4.2 and 2 5.0 his present one is probably one of  the last made.

Ive driven a few of these and his cars extensively, they are good very good, it's probably a car that many 'drivers ' don't really appreciate it for what it is bit like an ISF in that regard.

His have been very reliable the 5.0's more so probably because they've ironed out any earlier issues and he drives as they were intended, he has experienced some handling issues with them, most the weight is at the front the tyres are very wide and in wet weather aquaplaining is something that has to be kept in mind.

I got him up to advance driver level and just to prove the point on his final advance drive with the examiner whilst joining the M4 westbound at junction 18 the car aquaplained he fishtailed wildly twice without any warning but controlled it and there was no contact with anything 😳.

None of this has taken away the ownership enjoyment of them for him, and you are right that supercharger is something else 😏

I think I would put one on my shortlist as well, and seriously putting all the Silver joking I do to one side for a moment they really do look right in this colour to my eyes.

Big Rat

My brother has the same engine but in a XFR, he's also owned a 4.2 supercharged XF in the past and I've driven both. I owned a 4.0 XJR a few years back which was also good.

There is just something about a supercharged V8. The sheer amount of grunt on tap with next to no lag, it always makes me grin. I'm waiting for the prices on the XKR to bottom out before I jump into one, sticking with the pops and bangs of the 4 pot in my Evo X for the meantime.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links