• Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
      Massive Choice on Lexus Parts
    • Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
      Save Up To 15% On Your Lexus Insurance!
    • Get Your Club Gear
      Get Your Club Gear
    • 1000's of Lexus For Sale
      1000's of Lexus For Sale
    • Join Gold & Save!
      Join Gold & Save!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Shirleyanne

Replace valve stem seals

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to the club. Has anyone any experience of replacing their valve stem seals on the SC430? Preferably without taking the engine out! I'm getting lots of smoke on startup which stops after minute or two and doesn't do it when driving.

I've never heard of a 3UZ-FE needing them. Is it blue smoke indicating oil being burnt?

It's perfectly normal to get some exhaust gas when it's first started up or for the first few miles, mine always has a little vapour trail when cold for a short time.

If it goes away after a few minutes and isn't evident while driving normally, that sounds okay. If there is blue smoke on start up or continuous clouds of white smoke, that might indicate a problem.  

Here's an exhaust clip. The car wasn't that cold on start up and there's still some 'smoke.' This is completely normal.

Thanks Neil. There is a lot more smoke than that. It's not blue but smells of oil. I have to wait till there's no-one near before I start it!

Well it could be the valve stem seals but I would say that's very rare with these engines. With regular servicing they are ultra reliable. It really needs to go to Lexus or a knowledgeable independent for a proper inspection and diagnosis.

Although it is rare it happened on an LS400 that I owned for a very brief period last year.  Whenever I started from cold it would produce an uncomfortable amount of blue smoke. I put it down to valve stem seals, this was clearly due to lack of servicing from the previous owner.

7 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Although it is rare it happened on an LS400 that I owned for a very brief period last year.  Whenever I started from cold it would produce an uncomfortable amount of blue smoke. I put it down to valve stem seals, this was clearly due to lack of servicing from the previous owner.

Wow so that was the bomb proof 1UZ-FE. I had one around to 230k in a Soarer and a 3UZ to 215K in a GS and not a hint of it. 

15 hours ago, Neil E said:

Wow so that was the bomb proof 1UZ-FE. I had one around to 230k in a Soarer and a 3UZ to 215K in a GS and not a hint of it. 

I think is was simply lack of service, the oil was dark (unusual for an LS) and also very low.

1 person likes this