Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all, 

I've just become the proud owner of an IS220D SE-L with 116,000 miles on the clock. One interesting thing i haven't investigated further is that the fuses have been removed for the heated seats and also for the ABS system. Can anyone advise why this may have been, as i intend to replace with the correct fuses as it would have been before. 

Previous owner didn't even know they were missing!

Thanks all, 

Simon

Unfortunately there may be serious faults with those items. The heated seats may not matter that much. The ABS does - the car won't pass an MoT with faulty ABS. (Quite apart from the ABS not working, which is a safety issue). Try putting fuses (correctly rated) in - if they blow, or then the ABS warning light stays on all the time, get it investigated right away.

If you bought it via a dealer, take it back. I suspect it was a private seller - I'm afraid that then you're on your own.

I may be wrong but if you can prove this then you will have recourse against the seller of this car, whether its a private seller or dealer but you must act quick to get this resolved - like John said above, if a fault with the ABS, yes its an MOT failure but more importantly will reduce the effectiveness of braking if using.

Trading standards will give you advise and if the fuses have been pulled with the intent to deceive you then you have a very good case.

Strangest thing when i buy a car i try every button switch everything. If it does not work ask why and also a bargaining tool.

Some times it is best to take somebody unbiased with you. Then you do not over look the faults. As john says abs is a massive problem if not working.

Have you tried it stamping on the brakes you should feel the rat tat tat on the brake peddle.

I struggle to accept there wouldn't be an ABS fault light on if the fuse has been removed from the ABS. This is one of the safety checks the ECU conducts when starting.

• Like 1

The ABS warning light (it's an LED) is fed directly from an ignition activated relay, then extinguished by the ecu (ie the ground goes through the ecu) But if the fuse has been removed, the light won't light up in the first place. Actually the fuse might control other warning lights - be interesting to know which, if any, aren't (or are!) working. If the ABS fuse really has been removed, the ABS ain't gonna be working!