Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

:blink: I'm thinking downhill all the way with a gale-force tail-wind.   I used to consider cracking the 25mpg barrier in either of my 2008 and 2011 IS250s to be grounds for celebration, so I'm extremely impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I never ever got over 40 in a previous IS250. Had to be driven unbelievably gently to get over 36. Most tankfulls were 30-32 I think. Lovely sounding engine mind. Not much poke though

I bet the car was warm from the service/inspection, it makes a huge difference on mpg. I take a break half way through my 130 mile commute, the computer resets and I often get 42mpg for the second half of the journey.

My 2014 250 is averaging 37.5mpg on trips to work, I can get 40mpg if I'm really careful but it's not worth it. Today I did the 260 mile trip with half a tank :)

I can beat that ...

I can remember a few years ago (2014) I thought I would see what mileage I could get - I posted it on the forum titled "Tank Range" - I don't know how to link a post into a post but you can find it on a search for Tank Range

I recorded the mileage done after changing sensors and after a service and doing the caliper pins etc so the car was running spot on with no issue - I thionk at the time I was also using the BG44 engine cleaner

1st time I got 483 miles driving on a mixture of roads and the second time I got 540miles with all motorway (with 9 miles left reported as the range left !!) and the third time I got to 586miles.

The cars are totally capable of good MPG if looked after and driven like Miss Daisy !

I have not monitored it since but I am off to Bristol tomorrow which is usually around 300 miles each way. I usually do M56 / M6 / M5 going and M5 / M6 / M54 and the A roads coming back so I will keep an eye out to see if I can match the figures below but I am not running it so low as the the second time as that was just to see what was possible. I have changed the exhaust since which may make a difference and I am due to service it next month but I will keep an eye out for comparison.

Will be a big day tomorrow as well as this will be the second Lexus I have taken over the 100k mark ... is there a special club for this?

I have put the pictures below

1 - 483 miles

a1.jpg.ee7f725935feff48f6a896f0294b8850.jpg

2 - 540 miles

a2.thumb.jpg.91bda3271f2e5a16e5467f12918e467e.jpg

3 - 586 miles

a3.thumb.jpg.7f4e6ffedbc9fcda3220e1244182619d.jpg

• Like 1

I kind of think that the mpg is irrelevant providing that its reasonable, its the enjoyment from driving the car and the presence of it on the road (like a needle in a haystack compared to some brands where you will pass 4 or 5 same models in a row!)

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 9:21 PM, Ben1001 said:

I bet the car was warm from the service/inspection, it makes a huge difference on mpg. I take a break half way through my 130 mile commute, the computer resets and I often get 42mpg for the second half of the journey.

Cold start, short stop starts are the killer for mpg. If you put your computer reading on Current MPG when you set off from home cold, it can get very low. The same with hard acceleration. Explains why the "average" can be surprisingly low. 

Quote: its the enjoyment from driving the car and the presence of it on the road 

I could not agree more. A trip to Bristol in a noisy diesel at 42 mpg or in the LS400 at 30 mpg? - no contest..... but........ if I only got 20mpg ... might have to think again!

• Like 2

Last weekend I did a round-trip of about 300 miles. On the way back, I reset the Avg Mpg display and drove home very steadily and sedately and managed a maximum reading of 39.9 mpg, but it was boring and not something I'd really want to do except to see what sort of economy was possible - which in my case was not significantly more than I would normally get on a long trip. 

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Last weekend I did a round-trip of about 300 miles. On the way back, I reset the Avg Mpg display and drove home very steadily and sedately and managed a maximum reading of 39.9 mpg, but it was boring and not something I'd really want to do except to see what sort of economy was possible - which in my case was not significantly more than I would normally get on a long trip. 

I drove down from Yorkshire at 55 mph in a 2.0 petrol Mitsubishi Space Wagon, I got 38 mpg. What a boring journey - I would even consider it unsafe as full concentration was hard to maintain.

1 minute ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I drove down from Yorkshire at 55 mph in a 2.0 petrol Mitsubishi Space Wagon, I got 38 mpg. What a boring journey - I would even consider it unsafe as full concentration was hard to maintain.

Absolutely, boredom can lead to a lack of concentration which is unsafe.

Lexus is250 very uneconomical around town especially in cool conditions. I'm averaging 23 mpg on my daily 10 mile trip to work and back.

However on a good motorway run at steady speeds low 40's can be easily acheived. 

As mentioned is250 has little poke but sounds lovely. Nobody buys the car for performance or fuel economy.  They buy it because it's a lexus. Nobody gives bmw or mercedes a second look these days but a lexus catches the eye.

Had a lovely 150 mile round trip from my home town of hereford to Welshpool in mid wales today driving through the absolutely stunning welsh countryside. 

A leisurely drive to Welshpool returned an impressive 39mpg and that's on twisty hilly B roads.

However on the return journey with spirited driving as I wanted to be home in time for tea I managed 35mpg.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had my IS220D NEW in 2007....still going like a Swiss Watch...well serviced and EGR cleaned every 15000 klms...always fill the tank and always kept a record of the fills....see below:

Total Litres Total Klms Klms/Ltr
15127 235212 16

Total Litres Total Miles Miles/Ltr
15127 146154 9.662

Total Gallons Total Miles MPG
3327 146154 44