Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Washer fluid Warning

It can take up to 5ltrs to fill it. The warning should go out automatically.

it is possible the sensor has failed in the bottle. If it is full, then a dealer visit is probably likely.

I have found in the past, on other cars, that a hose pipe stuffed into the neck on full power will flush the bottle out and dislodge any debris that may be effecting the sensor.

You may get wet. :yahoo:

• Like 2

One of the worst things one can do is to use washer fluid/concentrate from different manufacturers. Often there is an incompatibility and a sludge forms causing various problems, most notably a nasty smell... 

• Like 3

Amen to that Peter, our old Vectras washers stopped working, the pump could be heard wizzing away.

I removed the pump from the bottle and as you say, there was about two inch of jelly in the bottom of the bottle.

Cleaned it all out and the washers cleaned the windscreens of the four cars behind me. :w00t:

• Like 1

Another 'worst' thing you can do is squirt Washing Up liquid in there as a substitute for genuine screen wash as this tends to sink to the bottom of the tank and congeal into a goo/sludge that might foul up your low level sensor.

paul m.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, matt8 said:

What washer fluid should we be using in our cars then? Lexus Official?

Whatever's on offer, as long as it's windscreen washer fluid.

I buy the fruity smelling stuff from Halfords or ECP in 5 litre containers.

• Like 1

Proper screen wash liquids (alcohol or spirit based) also act as an anti-freeze additive when added to the resivour. 

"Been there Done that" in years back when first motoring I have had a washer pump split due to no anti-freeze additive in the screen wash - water only=bad move.

paul m.

I haven't owned a BMW for fifteen years but have remained addicted to their washer fluid because of its smell:  pungent yet

soothing and balsamic, mildly antiseptic yet refreshingly herbal....  In fact, I've smelled worse after-shaves.  It also cleans the

windscreen quite well, but were someone to do a survey I reckon it would come top on the grounds of its smell alone.  I'm

coming to the end of a 12-bottle carton of concentrate which, judging by the price I paid the street hustler who sold it to me,

fell off the back of a truck.  So I'll soon be calling in at a BMW dealer hoping to get the chance to tell anybody who asks  

that my only reason for being there as a Lexus owner is to buy a bottle of the house sprinkler fluid.

I do not like the genuine Toyota/Lexus washer fluid. I find it is inclined to smear like oil on the screen.

Toyota always put a bottle of concentrate in the car when I have it serviced because I always make sure the washers are full when I take it in. The really strange thing is although it says concentrate on the container no where does it say what the dilution should be. I must have 12 or more bottles in my store shed. I'll get round to taking them to a Charity shop some day.

John

33 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The really strange thing is although it says concentrate on the container no where does it say what the dilution should be

Pretty sure once the dash displays low fluid level it's one bottle to the reservoir and fill with water?

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

Pretty sure once the dash displays low fluid level it's one bottle to the reservoir and fill with water?

While I would generally agree this would assume all washer bottles on all of the Toyota/Lexus range of vehicles are the same size, and that I doubt.

John