Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Shipping Car to the UK

Hi Guys, 

I'm planningo on shipping my IS-F from the Middle East to the UK sometime within the coming month or so. 

The car is a 2012 IS-F (~70k km) and it is a Left Hand Drive Vehcile. 

Now can someone suggest what I might need to do to the car to get it road legal in the UK?

I'm guessing I'll have to do the below:

- Car Regsistration with UK number plates

- Car Insurance

- MOT

But other than that would I have to change my speedometer to read MPH as right now it's in KMPH (Digital) can the dealer change this? 

Second Will I have to change the front headlights to point in a different direction?

Thirdly will I have to install a rear fog light? (I don't think mine comes with a rear fog light but I'll double check)

I think this should be about it, if there's anything else that you might think I'll need to do please let me know. 

30 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Thanks yeah I've looked through that site, makes the process look much more complicated than it is lol. 

18 minutes ago, AlanS said:

Speaking to Darren at Torque GT for some advice, they import cars and make them Road legal in the UK.

Thanks mate, these guys look interesting.

I bought my ISF back from the Republic of Ireland.  It was a degree easier because the car was originally a UK car. The car was sat on the drive for a week-10 days until I could drive on the UK roads. It was also tricky to find an insurer who would insure the car on foreign plates. If there's a company who do it for you, I would certainly consider this, especially as it's not a UK spec. 

I'm planning on putting the car on UK plates and getting it completely registered for the UK as I plan to keep it there for several years, if not forever :).

Torque GT look good but they're all the way in Devon, I'm looking for a company based closer to London. 

Will be the second time I'll be using them to source a car from Japan, iirc they charge a fee to get the car registered on the road. Which includes all the dock collection, All necessary conversion for clock, speedo and rear fog, IVA test, registration and MOT plates etc, basically you just get down and drive your car away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Defratos said:

Now can someone suggest what I might need to do to the car to get it road legal in the UK?

But other than that would I have to change my speedometer to read MPH as right now it's in KMPH (Digital) can the dealer change this? 

Second Will I have to change the front headlights to point in a different direction?

Thirdly will I have to install a rear fog light? (I don't think mine comes with a rear fog light but I'll double check)

I guess import duties should apply. I wonder if you not get better deal by selling any buying another one here (as cars are generally cheaper in UK).

I though speedometers on IS'es has both miles and kms on the dial, which shoudl be sufficient regardless of what digital ones shows. Headlights are flat beam HID so should no need changing.

59 minutes ago, AlanS said:

Will be the second time I'll be using them to source a car from Japan, iirc they charge a fee to get the car registered on the road. Which includes all the dock collection, All necessary conversion for clock, speedo and rear fog, IVA test, registration and MOT plates etc, basically you just get down and drive your car away.

Ah ok, so they'll do pretty much eveyrthing and deliver it to London on a truck? 

58 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I guess import duties should apply. I wonder if you not get better deal by selling any buying another one here (as cars are generally cheaper in UK).

I though speedometers on IS'es has both miles and kms on the dial, which shoudl be sufficient regardless of what digital ones shows. Headlights are flat beam HID so should no need changing.

Great Thanks for the help. Mine is a 2012 and I can't honestly remember if it also has MPH on the speedo, I only look at the digital display now as it's in the center. The speedo is a small circle on the right which I rarley look at. I think it does have both kmph and mph. Thanks for the help on the headlights. 

But do you guys have a rear fog light?

As for buying it from the UK, the main reason I want to bring my car is because I'm buying it off the company I work for for a very good price. 

I've owned it from new so I know it's been looked after. It has ~70k km and I'm getting it for around GBP 22k.

Can you find such a price for this year and millage? most seem to be going for much more from what I've seen. 

30 minutes ago, JonP said:

My range rover is a jap import with a KPH speedo, MOT and insurance are fine with this.

Great to know, thanks. 

Digital speedo can be switched between mph/kph. I always do that when driving in Europe. Your manual will tell you how and it was a simple task.  It's been a while since I've done it, but I seem to recall it being  a  combination of selecting the odometer display and holding one of the buttons until it switches to kph. You just repeat the process to put it back mph.

I imported my car IS F from Guernsey. I paid VAT when the car landed in the UK.

I'm surprised you're discussing the speedo being in kmh or mph and whether or not you have a fog lights as you seem to be missing the main costs.

All the below is assuming you do the whole process yourself and I am ignoring costs for speedo conversion etc as they are inconsequential. 

Your car is currently valued at X.

You will then pay Y  to get the car shipped to the UK.

When your car is in the UK, you will then be liable for import duty (Z). This rate is variable based on where you are imporating the vehicle from and what the vehicle is. Follow the link below and call the helpline below for an accurate quote:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty

Finally, VAT will be payable. This will be (X + Y + Z) x 20%.

So let's say your car is worth £22k and it costs 1.5k to import. I will ignore import duty for now but obviously this will increase the final amount.

So: (22k + 1.5k) x 20% (4,700) = 28.2k.

Are you sure you can't find a better example here for 28.2k? Let's not forget I  have not included any adaptation costo or duty costs.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DAW said:

Digital speedo can be switched between mph/kph. I always do that when driving in Europe. Your manual will tell you how and it was a simple task.  It's been a while since I've done it, but I seem to recall it being  a  combination of selecting the odometer display and holding one of the buttons until it switches to kph. You just repeat the process to put it back mph.

Thanks never knew it was a simple configuration change, I'll check it out. 

9 hours ago, Rusty Crobar said:

All uk cars have a rear fog light so you'll need to get one fitted.

Yes for the middle East we don't have a rear foglight installed, I can get one integrated into the rear reflectors as some of the ISF guys in the states are doing. 

7 hours ago, ollie isf said:

I imported my car IS F from Guernsey. I paid VAT when the car landed in the UK.

I'm surprised you're discussing the speedo being in kmh or mph and whether or not you have a fog lights as you seem to be missing the main costs.

All the below is assuming you do the whole process yourself and I am ignoring costs for speedo conversion etc as they are inconsequential. 

Your car is currently valued at X.

You will then pay Y  to get the car shipped to the UK.

When your car is in the UK, you will then be liable for import duty (Z). This rate is variable based on where you are imporating the vehicle from and what the vehicle is. Follow the link below and call the helpline below for an accurate quote:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/paying-vat-and-duty

Finally, VAT will be payable. This will be (X + Y + Z) x 20%.

So let's say your car is worth £22k and it costs 1.5k to import. I will ignore import duty for now but obviously this will increase the final amount.

So: (22k + 1.5k) x 20% (4,700) = 28.2k.

Are you sure you can't find a better example here for 28.2k? Let's not forget I  have not included any adaptation costo or duty costs.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info mate, really appreciate it. 

From looking around the only 2013 ISFs I can find for sale sin the UK are going for a min of 30-33k. Yes they do have much lower millage than mine but I'm not conserneed about the millage. The 2013 ISFs have all the newest updates in terms of suspension upragdes, steering ECU upgrades, Diff upgrades so I'm happy with mine as I know it was taken care of. 

You're right I will have to pay VAT, I haven't calculated that yet but thanks for the link I'll give them a call and see what I will have to pay. If it comes in under 30k then I'm still happy with that. 

Just for reference here's my build thread in one of the US forums: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/691131-defratos-isf-build.html

• Like 1

Thanks there's still a lot I want to do:

- Complete set of Bushes upgrade from Figs

- Cmplete suspension work upgrade from Figs

- Light weight wheels

- Finally RR Racing Supercharger (depending on how much money I have left) :wink3:

I too would be taking my car with me if it was anything like that :smile:

That is a seriously nice ISF.

Although, are you prepared for the shock of fuel prices over here?  Certainly won't cost you £6.5 to fill your tank like it does at the moment. :smile:

@Defratos 

Graet looking car fella, leave that parked up at any meets you care to come to and there are some on here just might help themselves to some bits, but don't worry I know where they all will be cough......cough......😂

Big Rat

36 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

I too would be taking my car with me if it was anything like that :smile:

That is a seriously nice ISF.

Although, are you prepared for the shock of fuel prices over here?  Certainly won't cost you £6.5 to fill your tank like it does at the moment. :smile:

lol Yeah fuel prices will be a killer, but I should be ok. I will still be working/living in the Middle East so the car will be parked up and covered for maybe 80% of the year. 

I honestly just want to take it to the drag strip and maybe a few track days as there are no places here for "legal" racing or any sort of tracks. 

34 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Defratos 

Graet looking car fella, leave that parked up at any meets you care to come to and there are some on here just might help themselves to some bits, but don't worry I know where they all will be cough......cough......😂

Big Rat

lol well I am planning on installing a tracker once it's in the UK just to be extra safe :) 

I don't care if the value drops, I honestly believe the IS-F is a very unique beast and will eventually hold it's value down the road. 

Even if it doesn't it'll still be a very rare car to see.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be trying to sort this out over the next month. Will keep you guys posted if she ever lands in the UK. 

Wow @Defratos love every one of your mods and looking forward to seeing what you have lined up in the future. Might be worth you trying the car on UK roads before planning more suspension mods. If you only do low mileage then you might not care but they get a bit rough in places! 

Yeah Agreed Rusty, I grew up in London and lived there for 20+ years I know how bad the roads can get lol

I've already changed one of my rear suspensions because it started leaking so I'm not happy keeping one side newer than the other (if that makes sense) and the roads I drive on here (industrial Area) are very bad and my oem suspensions have gone through abuse, but they've held up pretty well. 

So it's time I give the car some love :wub:

• Like 1

Hi @Defratos love the car!!  Really wished the red leather had been an option in the uk. Had red leather Recaros in my last "Silver" Audi S4 and it always made the car feel different and more of an event to drive. Don't get me wrong I love the Blue/black combination I have currently, reminds me of my original "Silver" Supra turbo, which also had a blue interior.

Sorry I know i've mentioned that colour!!, but its probably my favourite, although I'm loving the Fsport metallic white :wink3: