Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake pads change millage....and Mats!

Picked up a 2015 IS300h Executive yesterday, not from a dealer but has FSH and still in warranty, purchased direct from Toyota Finance.

When at very low speeds I get a grinding noise. I had the identical car on PCH which was returned a few weeks ago and that never had it. Brakes seem fine otherwise.

The car only has 23k miles on it, surly the brakes and discs can't need replacing already, it recently had its second service from a dealer and they said no notes about it needing brakes. He suggested a free Lexus visual safety check which I could do unless others tell me its normal. 

Also, car has protection pack on it and has rubber mats, anyone selling any decent ones or would like to swap? Been quoted £108 for Lexus ones which seem steep, I'll buy them if I have to.

Coming back to Lexus after a very short break ( two weeks) and a rather brief fling with a Skoda Superb!

Thanks

We get a "grinding" noise from the brakes on both our IS300h and RX450h (2016 models) but only when the brakes are cold (first thing in the morning). This seems to be normal judging by other comments on here. We particularly notice it backing out of the drive but it disappears straight away in use.

• Like 1

Thanks Malcolm,  I thought that might be the case, however it is odd that my previous car was near silent, certainly could hear it applying the brakes, exactly same year (built within 3 weeks of each other) same model, tyres etc.

I've checked through the service records and no mention of brakes needing changing, so must be safe just one of those things I'll have to live with. I'm hoping when it needs new discs and pads that the problem may go away.

What would be a reasonable millage for brake replacement on these, 40k sound reasonable?

Check the pads are moving freely in their guides and that the slider pins are nicely lubed.  

Then you shouldn't have any rubbing noises from the pads.

1 hour ago, Casa1862 said:

What would be a reasonable millage for brake replacement on these, 40k sound reasonable?

My Service manager said that on the hybrids brakes last a looong time. He recently did a pad and disc change on a local taxi, the first change it's had and the car was on 95k miles...

My RX has done 44k miles and is on 40% wear so I would expect 95k is certainly possible on the IS!

The rear brakes dont get used much so may have some rust on the surface. Do some "Extremely hard" braking  to the point where ABS comes on. Preferably from 50 to 0mph and that'll get rid of any surface rust.

• Like 1

Don't rely on Lexus to clean/lube your brakes, looking at folks experiences the dealers seem happy enough to let them fail and replace the calipers.  

As mentioned, Hybrid rear brakes don't get much use so regular maintenance is even more important to prevent them seizing. 

I have the same noise with my RX450h and previously on a RX400h. All normal. I would have to check, but I think the pads were changed on the RX450h at part of the 80k miles service.

Thanks for the replies, I  have the car booked to our local dealer but might not bother and give it a while, they were already talking about making a charge if no component has failed and it simply needed cleaning or a object removed. The car has been standing outside for just under a month so could be rust build up as suggested.

I did ask them to look at the Sat Nav as it's a mess, rest of the car is unmarked, it seems the reflective coating is coming off, might still take a trip for that, reading various threads it seems they can be replaced under warranty.  

Brake grunt is normal according to my dealer.  In desperation, as it was driving me nuts, I purchased a set of pads and fitted them myself (with plenty of Cera Tec) and now they are virtually silent. imho any half decent garage can change brake pads or DIY. and dont pay Lexus prices, not that they seemed interested in doing anything to mine.

Enjoy your car they are superb.

Ed:yes:

• Like 2

Thanks Ed, that's good to know a set of new brake pads resolved the issue, at just over 20k miles I wouldn't think mine need changing but will do if it solves the issues.

I've got a brakes guy taking the wheels off to have a look for free (someone I know), Lexus dealer will charge 1 hour labour to do the same, I have feeling they are wanting me to accept that it's normal and if I don't agree then full inspection and a bill to be told the same.

This car replaced one on contract hire, exactly same car apart from colour and that was silent.  

On 16/03/2017 at 6:09 PM, capese21 said:

Brake grunt is normal according to my dealer.  In desperation, as it was driving me nuts, I purchased a set of pads and fitted them myself (with plenty of Cera Tec) and now they are virtually silent. imho any half decent garage can change brake pads or DIY. and dont pay Lexus prices, not that they seemed interested in doing anything to mine.

Enjoy your car they are superb.

Brakes grunt on the NX as well, I've got to the stage where I can make the noise in slow traffic just to annoy the pedestrians..

On 17/03/2017 at 9:18 AM, Casa1862 said:

good to know a set of new brake pads resolved the issue, at just over 20k miles I wouldn't think mine need changing but will do if it solves the issues.

Probably don't even need to replace the pads.  Just a good clean & application of a decent quality brake grease.  My rears also squealed when reversing so cured that to. Lexus seem to rely on shims rather than grease but my rears now have both and much improved for it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links