Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whirling / ticking sound when going slow under ele power

Whirl/tick when under ele power?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a ticking/whirling sound when going slow under ele power?

• Yes
    • No

Folks,

Wonder if you can help confirm if I've got issues and bought a lemon, or if it's a normal sound from the hybrid please

Pulled into work car park, lots of traffic so was going slowly. Nice day so window was down and I hear this ticking type sound as passing other cars. Pulled into space and still ticking, kind of like a relay clicking on off, but a fair bit louder as can hear it from in the car when the sound bounces off near objects.

Get out of car (car still on) and it's coming from front wheel area, I only checked on drivers side, but sounded like it was front wheel area (didn't check under bonnet). Car sat there for few seconds and clicking slowed and got quieter, then stopped all together. Hopped back in, stuck in reverse and clicking returned. Moved her a bit, back in p and clicking slowed then stopped, same as before.

Is this normal, and a sound from the ele motor being turned on etc, or should I get the old gal to Lexus for a hybrid check?

Thanks all

Upex (a slightly worried new 450h owner)

• Like 1

It could be the fuel pump ticking there is a cover you can get for it  part num

12606-38010 and 12605 its in two parts if you cant hear it in car with window up thats what it is

Thanks kaycee. Have seen a few threads on this and the covers, need to see if she has them already, if not will get some. However, would this still be pumping/injecting (to make the noise) when the petrol engine isnt running, ie when on ele only? As that's when I get the ticking (similar sound to having the old lollipop stick clacking on by clear spoke). I'd have thought it'd only be pumping / injecting when engine running?

You dont think you have picked something up of the road that is hanging down and swinging like a pendulum or something hanging of and catching body, sounds weird to me or maybe sticking caliper that as got hot and cooling down as you stood i think i would have the wheel off and have a good look round

Cheers kaycee, but not that kind of noise. It's electric related, and it's frequency (speed of click) is predictable, quicker when driving on ele or stopped but in drive, slows when put in neutral or park. It's as if an ele motor is clicking away, but it's on the front and I thought motors only drove back wheels, so doesn't match. But don't think it's brake related (thought it could have been the regeneration on front wheels), as still clicks when stopped, but ele still on.

Will have to try and record it.  

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have a low frequency rubbing noise on mine. Stops when the car stops. Been driving me nuts, no one else seems to notice it but me.

Speeds up when the car speed increases as though its a brake rubbing or bearing issue. It is very slight, but to me very noticeable. Lexus dealer had the car recently for some other work and I mentioned it to them but they said it sounded normal.

Hi Deanflyer, I had a very faint noise coming from my car, only evident up to 20MPH then disappeared, happened every time. Got my wife to drive the car and I listened from outside to try and identify where it was coming from, could not hear it from outside. I was pretty sure it was some play in a revolving joint which was disappearing at speed. Back to dealership, after and hour of trying the service manager noticed the handbrake cable was not secured in retaining clip on offside. Thank goodness for the easy fix. Not suggesting this is where your noise is coming from however may be worth checking. Service manager stated could have been like that for a while as if you were driving with radio on, you probably would not have heard it. Like you I'm very susceptible to noise issues and they also drive me nuts. Hope you get to the bottom of this.

• Like 1

So, made a small video to capture this sound. Having pulled up, handbrake on and in Park, car still on though, I have this noise which sounds like a pump having got close to it.

Any ideas what this is, or is this normal?

IMG_0070.MOV

How about this?

This is the slower noise, when in Park. Power is on, engine not running. Keep like this for as long as all the power is on, or at least 3/4 mins which is how long I waited.

When press the start button to shut it off, it stops instantly.

When driving under electric only, or when in Drive but still stationary, it gets quicker.

When driving under ele power only and passing nearby reflective surfaces, it sounds far more clicky than pumpy.

That's what I thought when got head next to it today (had same sound and location of air manic compressor on former sclass merc, but, I don't think air suspension was even an option on the 450h and if it was, how the heck do I tell if I have it and why would it be constantly running (assume would mean a leak, which was partly the cause of my sclass demise!), would also question why slows down in Park, and speeds up in drive (but not moving)...

Cuts in and out as required to maintain pressure but if it's running very often or constantly it would point to a leak?

This is all just guesswork on my part, just extrapolating from my experiences with the MB system..

Thanks nemesis. Trying to look for some parts diagrams etc. So can see what's under there and hopefully pin it down to possible sources.

Anyone know where I can find these, or what lives around that neck of the woods and can sound like pump (either normally or when failing)?

Just in case it's overlooked, I've added the sound via video in post 11, any one recognise or know what it could be, nemesis and I are guessing lol

Anyone any more ideas? Hoping my maintenance diary will be clear soon, so want to have a stab at whatever this pump thingy is/may be.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 8:05 PM, Upex said:

Anyone any more ideas? Hoping my maintenance diary will be clear soon, so want to have a stab at whatever this pump thingy is/may be.

Thanks,

There is another coolant pump on the drivers side of the car between the engine and inner wheel arch forward of the suspension tower. It can be seen after removing the side cover. If you wish I could take a picture.

That sounds like a possible culprit John, as seems to be in the right sort of area.

Any ideas on what's it's called, as I'll look on the parts diagrams, although they a bit rubbish as don't show 'the car' just the bits, so no concept of location lol.

If you have a pic, that be ace, but if you need to remove stuff to take it, it's ok, don't spend your time specifically on that (many thanks though, kind offer). I'll pull the liner as soon as get chance (had a major mishap with wifes car last night, all electrics freaked out when running code scan, so have go battle that today lol)

Thanks

On 2017-4-16 at 9:33 PM, NemesisUK said:

The other thing it sounds like is the electric pressure pump for the brakes? Similar to MB's SBC

So, more digging and this looks like a potential cause.

The abs units are a potential weak point, and very expensive! From other threads on the web, some dealers have wanted more to replace than I paid for the whole car!

Several folks have commented that Lexus wrote to them offering to fix, or repay costs if they already had replaced, but I can't find any actual evidence of a recall or such. Anyone know of it? As I hold no hope of Lexus offering me any help given their decline of my rust claim without reason.

Not a clue, I'm going off 2 kind folks here chipping in, but lots on web about similar issues, but obviously very difficult and subjective to describe noise via text.

I believe the abs is electronic not hydraulic, so possible to have electric noises going on when not braking I guess.

Could do with this like a hole in the head at the moment lol.

Wonder if these abs pumps starting to go would throw a code?

The ABS pump can and does run when stationary, it must maintain a set pressure in the reservoir. I can hear mine, usually just after stopping, sometimes when crawling in traffic, as there is no engine noise. It only runs for 3 or 4 seconds at a time though with very long periods of silence between.

I would be mightily surprised if there weren't error codes stored from a malfunctioning pump, it's a critical safety component after all ...

In the Mercedes certain models had electrically driven brake pressure systems and there the pump would 'time-out' after a preset number of brake applications, somewhere in the region of 300,000. Cars approaching this end-of-service-life would have the warning come up that the pump had to be changed. I wonder if the Lexus system has a similar service life?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links