Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Passenger Dash Rattle

Hello everyone, im new to this site and a first time Lexus owner. I have just purchased a 57 IS220D, I love the car and enjoy driving it but the rattle the comes from the passenger side dash drives me mad. It is always there when driving, ive had the glovebox out, cover over the windscreen pillar off and cant see anything that is loose. I have seen the posts about similar noise issues but this sounds more like plastic to plastic knocking with a squeak. It tends to be worse when making a left hand turn. Could this also be linked to the dash clips? Looking at pictures of dashboards on eBay there seems to be a clip where the noise is coming from.

Lexus have told me they will diagnose the noise for £85 but thought I would ask here first.

Any help of advice is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Annoying eh, well done trying to track it down.

Maybe also take a look at the scuttle panel between the windscreen and the bonnet. I've known this to rub and caused odd noises on other cars. Maybe it needs a clean, clips renewing or some more tape adding?

I think I've also seen someone report it on this forum too.

Good luck.

12 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Welcome to the forum.

Annoying eh, well done trying to track it down.

Maybe also take a look at the scuttle panel between the windscreen and the bonnet. I've known this to rub and caused odd noises on other cars. Maybe it needs a clean, clips renewing or some more tape adding?

I think I've also seen someone report it on this forum too.

Good luck.

Hi Farqui

Thanks for the welcome and advice, my brother-in-law who is a mechanic thought that it could be the scuttle tray as well, so will be doing further investigation on Saturday.

I love the car and have only had it since Friday, the noise was there during test drive but due to looking for other potential issues I didn't pay to much attention to it and just thought it was a loose item either in the glovebox or just behind. Everything else on the car is fine.

• Like 1

Well it's not the scuttle, completely took it out and had a drive around and noise still the same. Spoke to Lexus Bolton and they will diagnose the rattle/squeak for £85, they think it's the dash clips and if so will be £380 to remove dash and change clips and also do the mod behind the stereo that causes the "stone hitting the windscreen" like sound every so often. If they do the work then they won't charge the £85. Think I will get it booked in to save my sanity 

• Like 1

Yes tried all that but nothing seems to stop it. I think the next stage now is £85 for Lexus to tell me what it is. It's so annoying, I love the car but this makes we not want to drive it. 

• Like 1

Hi my 220 also rattled and cracked when I first bought it, all I did was remove the air vents and just stuffed all the gaps with foam that killed the vibrations as for the creaking i just sprayed 3 in one oil in all the gaps where the different dash components meet together and have to say its totally cured!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Bigchad, I have a few weeks until the car goes into Lexus so will keep trying things like this and hopefully it will work.

Just looked at you picture, your car looks really nice, where did you get your mudflaps from and also the boot spoiler?

Also I noticed you have removed the front number plate mount, was this relatively easy to do?

Removing the numberplate mount is easy. Done it on mine too. A couple of bolts and clips iirc... it will come right off... just will leave a couple of nasty holes, but the number plate covers them anyway

• Like 1

The mudflaps were bought on eBay for around £30 the boot spoiler comes fitted on the F sport trim level but again theres plenty on eBay,If I cand find the link for the muds I will post it up for you.

• Like 1

Take a read through these old posts ... they may help

The second one, at post 9 (bit greyed out but you can just make the number out!), has a pdf that shows where the various clips are located. Carl911 had good results from bits of rolled up felt pushed down where the clips are located.

• Like 1

Nice one, thanks a lot for these links, I will try anything at the moment. Got about 5 weeks until it's in at Lexus so plenty of time to try different things to save me £380.

I also have a rattle coming from the b pillar on drivers side, anyone had similar?

Drove to work this morning 5 deg and light/medium rain and not a single sound, not even from the b pillar. Will see what its like on the way home when its got a little warmer.

If its from the glovebox area it could be a broken cabin filter door which is located at the back of the glovebox. Have your mechanic have a look to see if its closed. theres a procedure to follow to change the filter - if its not followed then theres a good change a system "flap" can be broken and lost in the dash area - it could be that that's rattling around?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links