Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearstick Leather Gaiter Loose/broken clip

Hiya. Long time lurker, first time poster. Hoping someone could help. Apologies if this belongs somewhere more specific.

07 IS250 Manual. One of the clips that keep the bottom of the gearstick gaiter in place appears to be broken. I can wedge it in place with the rest of the clips and it will hold for anything from a few days to a few weeks but there is always a small gap and it drives me mad that it isn't secure.

Has anyone any suggestions? I would prefer to fix/replace the part as opposed to using an adhesive. There are some is250/20s in local scrapyards so I could possibly get the part if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

gaiter.jpg

• Thanks 1

The exact same thing happened to mine on this nearside back corner as per your picture....what I did was to glue a block  of plastic material underneath the resting position at the correct height to prevent the gater going down into the pocket and the other clips retain their positions....nothing is seen and it works fine.  Have to say the clips are really flimsy and purchasing a new mounting etc is out of the question when you think about it.  WHY? Well the same thing could happen within a week....it's a badly constructed component and in my view pointless throwing good money at it ....improvise and it'll be fine.  My vehicle is IS220D 2007 so probably the same part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VrmmVrmm said:

The exact same thing happened to mine on this nearside back corner as per your picture....what I did was to glue a block  of plastic material underneath the resting position at the correct height to prevent the gater going down into the pocket and the other clips retain their positions....nothing is seen and it works fine.  Have to say the clips are really flimsy and purchasing a new mounting etc is out of the question when you think about it.  WHY? Well the same thing could happen within a week....it's a badly constructed component and in my view pointless throwing good money at it ....improvise and it'll be fine.  My vehicle is IS220D 2007 so probably the same part.

That's a fair point about the replacement part.

I understand exactly what you mean by adding the plastic material underneath. Should do the job. I will give that a go.

Cheers for the help.