Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is 220d sport owner

dazedandconfused

I have recentley purchased a Lexus Is 220 d sport 56 reg with 62,000 miles.

For a number of reasons I bought this to replace a Mercedes c350 cdi that had been remapped, I was attracted to the Lexus as a cheap but extremely well equipped, well built car. At first I was horrified by its poor performance and economy considering 175 bhp and nearly 300 ft/lb of torque. The performance has improved since it has undertaken a number of long high speed runs, The previous owner only did 2k between MOT`s; it will now pull strongly in 6th from 50 mph and is a great car to drive fast on twisty B roads, it is a far nicer car to drive than the Mercedes, much more comfortable, more direct steering and with the optional media pack has every extra you could want.

The only downside is the terrible economy, this has increased from an initial average mpg of 26! to 30 and since cleaning a coked up EGR valve today 33. A relatively modern diesel engine should achieve better than this ; my previous V6 Merc would achieve 42 on a run.

Has anyone have experience of remapping this engine, I have a quote from Celtic Tuning who did my previous car, they can remap the Lexus to 216 bhp and 340 ft/lb for £295. Hopefully this will also improve the dire economy. Still one of the best cars I have owned.

Welcome Kevin :smile:

Yeah, they are not the most economical cars out there.  A mix of town and motorway driving gets me between 36-38mpg on average.  Although if the previous owner did so few miles, I am not surprised your car was a little clogged up.

I afraid I can't comment on the remap personally, but I have heard that it improves matters somewhat.  You do need to make sure that it is a dual system that includes boost control though, not just fuelling.

Oh, and any pictures you can share with us? :smile:

The car pulls strongly in 6th from 50mph 

Are you sure about that? 

The is220d mpg is absolutely terrible. I'm actually getting better mpg in my is250 than I got with the 220d and that's with a far more powerful 6 cylinder V6 engine. 

Hello Kevin and a warm welcome to the lexus owners club 😀

Peachy I have to agree with you on regards to the is220d being uneconomical. I'm actually getting better mpg on my 250 than I did on my previous is220d. Driving around town in the 250 delivers slightly better milage but on a good motorway run I'm getting 43mpg. Something I never got with the diesel.  High 30's at best.

My previous diesel bmw's and mercedes would easily see 50mpg on a good run.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links