Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi.

I am a little curious and would like to know how members find using the built-in Satnav on their Lexus cars? Although I can use mine, I have always found it to be long winded and cumbersome to set up. Therefore, I prefer using my TomTom Satnav as I find it much easier to set up and view.

Thanks.

Michael   

I find that also Garry and think Lexus should improve its navigation system as I feel it's weak point. Everything else on the car I find to be excellent.

Thanks for the reply

Michael

I think, as has been said before on the forum, the new cars we buy today are years in the planning so the sat nav will nearly always be way behind the likes of TomTom or Garmin.

I use the Lexus sat nav, but don't trust it, I have a Garmin in the boot in case, or rather when, the inbuilt lets me down.

It certainly wouldn't be a selling point for me when buying a car.

• Like 1

I use the work pool car often and use Sygic on my phone for satnav, it's excellent.  On the odd occasion I need satnav driving my own car, I use Sygic too.  Having said that, not tried it on my RX yet......maybe it takes postcode entries, I'll have to have a look.

• Like 1

Why shouldn't it take a post code entry? Thought that was the point of a satnav.

I'm aware the old Lexus systems were not easy to work with, but the modern ones, like mine, take full postcodes.

Read the manual, stop it now...:w00t:

I'm good with technology but if I get stuck I get one of the kids, my daughter usually, to show me what I'm missing, and it's usually something obvious.

The Lexus satnav is easy to use, just crap, on occasions, getting you to your destination, which after all is all you ask of it.

I also use a TomTom rather than the Lexus system. For the price of one year's Lexus update I have a sizeable TomTom with free lifetime maps and traffic updates. Also I can enter Lat/Long into the TomTom, which is handy as we do a lot of walking and I need to navigate to isolated car parks that don't seem to have a postcode.

The DVD type of satnav used in the Lexus only accepts the first 5 digits of a post code. It then asks for a road name, and house number. Antiquated to say the leased. I am working on displaying an android tablet or phone controlled by a ball mouse on the OEM screen. Even if you have to buy a tablet to do this it is far cheaper than Lexus map updates.

John.

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

The DVD type of satnav used in the Lexus only accepts the first 5 digits of a post code. It then asks for a road name, and house number. Antiquated to say the leased. I am working on displaying an android tablet or phone controlled by a ball mouse on the OEM screen. Even if you have to buy a tablet to do this it is far cheaper than Lexus map updates.

John.

How old are the cars that have that system?

I find the sat nav clunky and expensive to update but it uses a nice big screen and a very pleasant and reassuring voice offering me directions. Frankly Google Maps on my Android phone knocks it into a cocked hat on that all I have to do is to say "Navigate me to ..............." and I'm provided with a choice of a few routes and a Start button. Oh why can't Lexus let us mirror our phones on the screen and use the "mouse" to control the phone?