Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Oil delisted - alternative

Rubin85

Hi all

I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A5 for the last 2 years, it looks like it's being delisted cause it's not on sale for loooong weeks in eurocarparts, what would be the alternative as a recommendation ? I've seen the same brand but Start-Stop A5 but I'm not sure if it's any good. Sorry if this was already answered, just can't find any info. It's for my IS250 2007 RWD Petrol. Thanks in advance

Isn't the Stop-Start variant just an improved formula of the same oil? According to the marketing spiel, it "clings" to engine components for longer and theoretically lessens wear. If that's the case I can only see a benefit in switching to it.

Start stop one probably has more additives which ensures it keeps the specifications for longer. 5w30 A5 is definitely not de-listed as it is very common oil used by many cars, not just IS250

Slightly off the original topic but to do with oil grades, today I was behind a Castrol delivery truck and it was advertising on the rear doors 'Castrol Top-Up' a 1 litre oil that is compatible with 97% of engines. So I guess it is some sort of half way grade fully synthetic (I hope) oil and as it is 'only' susposed to be used for topping up then it is not going to be that detrimental if it is slightly out of spec???

paul m.

Interesting one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-EDGE-Top-Car-Engine/dp/B01N2GK6TQ

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/D9635EE17224E22D80257EC3003DF16E/$File/BPXE-9NWJ82.pdf

It doesn't state viscosity, but I guess it would be high range one... Like 0w30 or 0w40, so a lot of additives not to affect bottom line. As well being edge is presumably fully synthetic contrary to cracked mineral Magnatec.. but who knows.

Note:

Castrol EDGE TOP UP with TITANIUM FST ™ is not suitable for: BMW M-Sport, competition/race cars, high performance/supercars and vintage/classic cars. Check warranty requirements before use.

I think I personally would class a IS 250 V6 as a high performance car but weather Castrol do is another thing to achieve their 97% suitably!

paul m.

Hi

I have heard of it, but had no dealings with it. I think it is a 5w-30 or 5w-40 and has a reduced ash content, so it would be suitable as a top up for most things. To be honest, if your oil is low, putting something in is better leaving it, even if the oil is not exactly the correct spec. 

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Texas said:

Note:

Castrol EDGE TOP UP with TITANIUM FST ™ is not suitable for: BMW M-Sport, competition/race cars, high performance/supercars and vintage/classic cars. Check warranty requirements before use.

I think I personally would class a IS 250 V6 as a high performance car but weather Castrol do is another thing to achieve their 97% suitably!

No .. IS250 is not high performance, neither is IS350, IS-F is and as such it uses 10w60 oil for track or 5w30 for daily. Equally M cars, uses something like 5w50 performance oils.

The reason for that is again bottom line of viscosity for cold and warm, say you have IS250 which normally takes 5w30... over time due to shear and additives loosing strength your oil becomes something more like 10w25, so it is ticker when cold which reduces lubrication and increases wear and it is not thick enough when warm again not optimal lubrication. As such "universal top-up" should not make it worse, so it cannot be 15w40 or 0w20 as such impacting either cold or warm bottom line of viscosity. It should be something with wide viscosity range as 5w40 or even 0w40. 

For that reason they do not recommend using it performance cars which could potentially have specialty performance oils like 20w60 or something similar, because adding 0w40 would impact the oil specifications significantly.

But again as @oilman said putting something is better than running low, they add this just to cover themselves legally in case somebody brings the case against them saying their "universal oil" ruined their engine. In fact they are so careful that they even made mistake saying "m-sport" cars which we all know are just "visually enhanced cars", whereas they really meant "BMW M-series" - performance cars..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links