Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Prototype Picnic Table LS460 Stage 1

Having owned a number of cars in the past with picnic tables fitted in the backs of the front seats I have begun a project that has seen my own attempt at the  first stage  of the build  to create some fall tables.  There are some images on google of some LS430's with MK 2 Jaguar tables retrospectively fitted which look smart and I have used MK 2 Jaguar hinges  in my own design which have to be a cantilever hinge. The hinges are crucial in any table because the table must pull away from the seat back before tilting to the useable position otherwise the bottom lip would catch the opening.  

The original issue for me was getting hold of a second hand seat back from a 460, not easy but eventually found one for sale from a written off car.  Using a donor seat back was crucial as I was working blind really in figuring out the design, size of opening and available space inside the seat itself as  I didn't want to wreck my car's seat backs should the project fail.  The pictures show a black seat back which had the upper section of it's vinyl covering torn away but that was not important to me.  As 460 seat backs are not flat and are shaped in a number of planes including convex and concave areas I started by creating an oversized  fibreglass mould of the seat back, later to be cut down to the final size of tray.  An opening was made and the actual wooden table top was made from plywood which will be covered in walnut veneer prior to trimming.  At every stage the donor seat back was offered up to one of my front seats to assess the available space even though the inside of the seat is a maze of seat components.  I have used a great trimmer in the past who will be asked to match the vinyl seat back when it comes to covering the outer and inside faces of the fibreglass flap. NB: LS460's do not have leather seat backs but use a high quality vinyl. The smaller surface area on the inside of the fibreglass panel is likely to be covered in a grey alcantara to match the grey trim on the door panels but ivory vinyl will be used on the outer surface.   My intention is to have the walnut veneer colour matched to the car's rich red walnut inside my car along with the table pull handle which you can see in the pictures.  

Stage 2 I hope will see the completion of the table in order that I am happy with it and  before I decide to make a second table and before both are fitted in my existing seat backs. I hope to send in some final photos once completed but in the meantime if you want to comment then please do.

SAM_0819.jpg

SAM_0822.jpg

SAM_0830.jpg

SAM_0821.jpg

SAM_0833 (1).jpg

SAM_0835.jpg

SAM_0838.jpg

SAM_0839.jpg

SAM_0840.jpg

SAM_0841.jpg

SAM_0845.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Do you think you might need to inform your insurance company?

...  only if you put a drinks cabinet in too ..........

Malc

• Like 2

Malc do you mean aslong as he doesnt install a a mini keg of guiness in the fridge with a dispenser next to the table all connected nicely with temperature display so that you can enjoy your drink at the touch of a button whist being wafted away he wont need to inform them?

• Like 1

You'll have to take my word for it but these photos may explain my pre occupation with picnic tables in cars.  My previous car to my 460 was a Jaguar XJ which saw me retrospectively fit some genuine Jaguar business trays as they called them in burr walnut, very costly approx £2300 and the car before that was my Bentley Arnage although they were fitted as part of the original build specification.  I won't achieve this level of design quality but there is no harm in making a prototype before I decide if they will be good enough. My design will come  down to the veneering/lacquering  and trim work at the end of the day.   

006.jpg

005.jpg

IMG_0191rearint1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Farqui, no the Jaguar business trays were not a £2300 cost option if you ordered them from new and fitted by the factory. The cost option was around £700 and were available in burr walnut or burr elm wood veneers only.

If you do anything retrospective and use a dealer to source the parts the cost rockets.  Two new seat backs were special order, one came from the USA and the other came from Germany using Jaguar world wide parts sourcing, something that dealers have access to only.  Two new subframes were also required which bolt to the seat frame itself.  The seat backs and subframes came to £2000 incl vat and that was after the dealer gave me 10% discount so still very costly items to fit after the car was originally built.  The actual veneered tables were bought second hand  on e bay for £300, ridiculously cheap given that they are £500 each as they come in about 7 pieces.

Pity Lexus don't do anything at all apart from the centre console pull out tray system on some later models of the LS600 with the full relaxation seat package.     

• Like 1

OMG  I remember my ( now ancient and long gone ) Wolseley 6/110 ....  a 3ltr straight 6 engine, manual gearbox ( brilliant ) had picnic tables as standard, burr walnut I think and chrome hinges etc I guess ...  not sure they ever got used though !

Malc

The issue for me in fitting these tables , I would have to get out of the drivers seat to use them ,and for me that would be like having a bath with your socks on.

Sorry but unless one is going to invite everyone out for a day in the car they are next to useless.

If the customer feedback that Lexus uses to enhance its range of  add ons was strong enough on this option they would be fitted as standard,obviously no one as asked.

Personally I am not a great fan of off site modifications too these cars, hours and hours of design thought as gone into the original car and to that end they are already perfect in my eyes.

Fold up chairs in  boot, plus (craftsman-made) fold up wooden table.Hamper/coolbox.

Sitting inside a car is for old infirm folk (unless it's raining, then there are these things called 'Pubs' to use?)

On 17/03/2017 at 5:08 PM, cruisermark said:

Malc do you mean aslong as he doesnt install a a mini keg of guiness in the fridge with a dispenser next to the table all connected nicely with temperature display so that you can enjoy your drink at the touch of a button whist being wafted away he wont need to inform them?

I know someone with an IS-F who might be considering a Guinness dispenser. Big Rat 

"Please make sure your seat is in the fully upright position, your armrest is down and your tray table is stowed away, any hand luggage should be placed under the seat in front of you":biggrin:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links