Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2005 RX 300 rear hatch

All of a sudden the rear hatch refused to lift properly. It moved about an inch then returned to locked position. After some research it pointed to new rear struts required, so i duly purchased and fitted 2 from SGS. This seemed to cure the problem,but the next day the hatch only went halfway, then beeped and closed. If I opened it fully manually it would work a few times in succession, but when tried the next day it would do the same. At times it almost opens fully, then beeps and closes, one time catching my wife out as she didn't realise what was happening. With the old struts, there was no problem with keeping the hatch open, and with the new ones fitted it is quite a hard push to open it manually - any ideas folks?

Cheers

Pete

I think the problem is that the original struts have no part number or any meaningful markings on them for places like SGS to base their replacement struts on and so the replacements often aren't up to the job.

Like you, I also got a replacement set from SGS and had the same problems. When I spoke to someone there they said that they always err on the side of caution and pressurise the struts to a low value first. He said that if I sent them back they could increase the pressure rating, so that's what I did, but sadly they still didn't work properly and I still had the same problem.

I ended up buying a set of original struts from a breakers yard on eBay for £40 and they now work perfectly. The brand new set of SGS struts are currently sitting in the garage as an expensive failed experiment.

The only other thing I could suggest is to make sure the lift motor is well lubricated - mine was dry as a bone when we looked at it.

• Like 2

Thanks for that. It confirms my suspicions, but the struts I got from them for both the RX and my LS bonnets have worked out fine, hence I went with them for the rears. A phone call on Monday I think. However, my old struts have been binned as I had to cut them off the brackets, so I'll be asking for upgraded items to be sent prior to me sending theirs back.

I'll have a look at the motor first though.

Pete

• Like 1

I contacted SGS today who told me I've to send struts back at my expense and they will check them over. If there is a manufacturing fault then they'll refund postage and repair. I told them about the other person that reported a similar problem and the customer services person said that they were at quite a high rating already, but that they would work with me. I said that the hatch wasn't much use without struts as the old ones had to be cut off, but she was firm that they must be returned to be checked.

I'm not really too hopeful, but will insist on a refund if things don't work out.

Pete

Mine car is on the originals but they are slowly dieing.

It's worth noting that the powered tailgate works fine at my house which is not far from sea level, however when I drive to work which is up in the hills quite substantially higher than sea level the powered tailgate then doesn't open fully - must be due to the altitude having an affect on the gas pressure inside the strut.

I will likely just buy 2x originals from breakers

• 2 weeks later...

I had to chase up SGS regarding getting the struts uprated. It was a difficult call as they said they'd supplied the recommended struts at 600 newtons (I think that's what he said) and what would I like them pressurised to. I told him that the reason I purchased from them is that they are supposedly experts and that I would be guessing. In the end they agreed to 800 as a guesstimate, but I really don't know. He seemed confused by me saying the door was powered until I explained how it works.  We then disputed postage reimbursement, but their take on it was that there was nothing wrong with the ones they supplied. They tried to charge me again for return postage, but I managed to get them to take that hit. I'm not really impressed in all honesty and I'll be surprised if they work this time. It is one heavy hatch without struts though.

Pete

That's exactly what they did with mine, uprated them from 600 to 800 but as I said above, they still don't work, which is why they are now in the garage and the car has a set of originals on from a breakers yard. I do hope they work for you though mate.

On 29/03/2017 at 0:02 PM, plastic orange said:

I'll keep sending them back until they get them right. The guy was pretty unhelpful really, so next time if I have to contact I'll ask for a supervisor.

Pete

Keep us informed as to how you get on Pete. If they don't work at 800 and you successfully get them uprated beyond that, I may just send mine back and get them uprated to whatever works for you  :whistling1:

Oh dear!! Rear hatch opens perfectly now, but it's the reverse problem now - won't power down. However, at least it opens and it will close the old fashioned way which is better. It may lose pressure over time as I don't have a clue what the compromise pressure should be. I may swap one rear strut from daughter in laws RX and see if that works.

Pete

• 1 month later...

I decided that I had to bite the bullet and contact SGS about rear struts as my wife could hardly pull the hatch down due to the increased pressure. They were very pro-active and sent up new struts to the pressure they say they should be. Unfortunately they still won't power down, but are easier to do manually. I contacted SGS today to tell them and here's the reply:

Hello Pete,

Thank you for your email.

I do apologise, we haven't been made aware that you were operating the tailgate/struts via a motor and expecting the boot to close with this. Unfortunately, we cannot supply struts for motorised tailgates, you will be able to operate them manually but no other way.

If the struts are in saleable condition, we can accept a return on these for a refund.

Please advise how you would like to proceed?

I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I don't know why they say they were unaware of the powered tailgate as this has been stated in every correspondence I've had with them, and I was under the impression that all RX's had this feature. I'm unsure how to proceed now.

Pete

Well, that's not good is it?

I can't (and won't) say that they are intentionally lying because I don't know how many employees there are at SGS and we may have been talking to different people, but I find it hard to believe that they are denying knowledge of the RX300 having a power open/close tailgate, especially as I gave them video evidence of what was happening on my car!

And at no time did they ever say that their struts were not suitable for power closing of the tailgate - I am beginning to really question whether they know what they are doing.

By the way, the pair of struts I got from a breakers yard on eBay for £40 (from an original 2005 car) are continuing to work superbly so it might be an idea for you to get your money back from SGS and do the same.

I sent them a video too, so I've got to agree that something is wrong. If this post serves to raise awareness of the issue then fine. I now have 2 sets of rear struts, so I may send 1 back and see what happens regarding a refund.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Refund received and the second set of struts are now working fine, so I've essentially got them for free (minus postage costs) as their admin doesn't seem to realise they'd sent me another pair, but such is life.

Pete

• Like 3

On 05/07/2017 at 4:14 PM, plastic orange said:

Refund received and the second set of struts are now working fine, so I've essentially got them for free (minus postage costs) as their admin doesn't seem to realise they'd sent me another pair, but such is life.

Pete

Good news! 

On 18/03/2017 at 9:27 AM, plastic orange said:

All of a sudden the rear hatch refused to lift properly. It moved about an inch then returned to locked position. After some research it pointed to new rear struts required, so i duly purchased and fitted 2 from SGS. This seemed to cure the problem,but the next day the hatch only went halfway, then beeped and closed. If I opened it fully manually it would work a few times in succession, but when tried the next day it would do the same. At times it almost opens fully, then beeps and closes, one time catching my wife out as she didn't realise what was happening. With the old struts, there was no problem with keeping the hatch open, and with the new ones fitted it is quite a hard push to open it manually - any ideas folks?

Cheers

Pete

I have had this a few times over the years .... cleaning the struts & hinges with Wd40 & squirting some on the motor arm always rectifies it for me for another year or 2 ...