Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My latest LS400 project car.

With the weather now improving and the days getting longer I decided to get on with my project 134,000 mile series IV LS400.

TBH since I purchased it a year ago I haven't done a lot to it apart from replace all the brake discs and pads complete with a fluid change and repair the driver's side mirror and the electric aerial.

I gave it a good clean today as only have one garage so been stood out all winter and plan to replace the cambelt kit and water pump next weekend.

Both the tilt and telescope are not working on the steering, unusual for both to fail together but having made checks on the ECU it does seem to be a double motor failure.

There are marks on nearly every panel and the rear bumper could do with a paint job but no rust so looks like a few days of detailing coming up.

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

• Like 10

You might have a few bits body work side of things to do but she still looks good. Interior looks in good condition.  Are you going to do the cambelt change?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve2006 said:

Hopefully yes Mike, I have the full kit purchased from the USA and there is  VVTI cam belt change tutorial on lexls.com

Who did you get the kit and do you mind telling me how much it was?

Lovely colour combo steve

did you replace the glass or the mirror unit on it? My drivers side mirror is delaminating, there seems to be several schools of thought on what to do

Good on you. It's threads like these that make me realise my plan to spend as little as possible and run my Mark IV until it drops is doomed to failure. It is so damn good to drive and it's the first car my wife has really liked, so it is going to get some love. I've purchased a cam belt kit from the Rockauto but won't be fitting it after looking at instructions online. Whew.

I've got a double steering motor failure. Well, the height has died but the reach motor works but is frozen somewhat despite my best efforts to clean and re-grease it. Neither are an issue as the settings I prefer are height at the lowest (which I've set) and steering at maximum reach (which I've also set.)

• Like 2

On 19/03/2017 at 9:05 PM, lockeyboy said:

Lovely colour combo steve

did you replace the glass or the mirror unit on it? My drivers side mirror is delaminating, there seems to be several schools of thought on what to do

WhenI bought it the driver's side mirror glass was original and in good condition but held in place by copious amounts of glue gun stuff. I carefully cut around the glue and discovered the mirror glass backing plate was completely missing.

I found a complete mirror on Fleabay but on arrival the glass was discoloured but I was able to make one good one out of the 2.

Interestingly there are 2 types of mirror on the series IV ( differing electrical plugs) so beware when buying secondhand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

WhenI bought it the driver's side mirror glass was original and in good condition but held in place by copious amounts of glue gun stuff. I carefully cut around the glue and discovered the mirror glass backing plate was completely missing.

I found a complete mirror on Fleabay but on arrival the glass was discoloured but I was able to make one good one out of the 2.

Interestingly there are 2 types of mirror on the series IV ( differing electrical plugs) so beware when buying secondhand.

How do you distinguish the difference?  Is it a part number on the rear section?

Going back to your original post, Steve, what make of discs did you buy when you replaced them? I want to replace the front discs on my 1997 LS400 over the summer as they were an advisory on the last MOT in January.

Any thoughts from anyone else on what is good or not so good on replacement discs would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I bought Lexus Colin and pads and they are very good worth making sure the calipers are working well. I bought rears also and got a 20% discount as I told them I could buy Brembo's for a similar price.