Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d headlight upgrade

Hi I have just got a IS220d and would like to upgrade all the lights. 

Thinking of this for the interior that I have seen from another post on here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331105524239

and then the Osram nightbreaker unlimited H11 and HB3 for dipped and full. 

What are you views on that and do you know what bulbs I would need for the fog lights?

also are all the bulbs easy to get to?

thanks for any advice and info. 

These so called upgrade headlights have a very short life span. I fitted Hid 5000k Headlight kit. Hid fog lights 3000k 9006 kit Had to remove bumper for fogs.

Head light bulbs are a pain anyway. Mine have been fitted nearly 2 years with no issues what so ever.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt13 said:

Hi I have just got a IS220d and would like to upgrade all the lights. 

Thinking of this for the interior that I have seen from another post on here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331105524239

and then the Osram nightbreaker unlimited H11 and HB3 for dipped and full. 

What are you views on that and do you know what bulbs I would need for the fog lights?

also are all the bulbs easy to get to?

thanks for any advice and info. 

These are the ballasts i use they have a German chipset in very reliable also Ac not Dc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252040003270?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

You don't need to take the bumper off to get to the fog light bulbs. On the nearside there's a hatch under the light fitting - you can get to the bulb through that. On the offside, undo the two clip things holding the wing liner to the wing, then bend the wing liner back a bit - it's tough but it will bend. then you can get in behind it and get to the bulb.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johnatg said:

You don't need to take the bumper off to get to the fog light bulbs. On the nearside there's a hatch under the light fitting - you can get to the bulb through that. On the offside, undo the two clip things holding the wing liner to the wing, then bend the wing liner back a bit - it's tough but it will bend. then you can get in behind it and get to the bulb.

You do to fit a hid kit where you going to put the ballast.

Just now, johnatg said:

There's plenty of space around and behind the light units.

Have you fitted them? I have and believe me easiest way is with bumper off. Why struggle when you do not have to.Ballasts are fitted behind the slam panel.

Where did you fit yours.

4 hours ago, madasahatter said:

Bumper was easy yes a couple of 10mm on inner wings about 6 under neath front of bumper. And the front panel under bonnet, takes about 15 minutes.

I always thought it was not necessary to take bumper for fogs, as they have dedicated latches on the bottom covers for access. However, I would admit that without having good access from underneath it would be quite painful, but equally to take off bumper you need space and ideally help so that you can keep it horizontal when taking off and putting back again.

3 hours ago, madasahatter said:

No that is just the ballasts bulbs are cheap. I bought Cn light cost about £10.00 for the pair, The 3000k are yellow bulbs 5000k are white not the cheap

looking blue things.

Those are not HIDs... HIDs are £45-£80 per piece (2x needed) -https://www.amazon.co.uk/XENARC-ORIGINAL-headlight-66440-folding/dp/B00O7PZLH6/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490011139&vehicle=842-813-5465-19066-1-0&sr=1-12&th=1

Thanks a lot for all the info and advice, I may just try the Osram Nightbreaker's first and see what I think, if im not happy then I will invest in the conversion kits.

2 minutes ago, Matt13 said:

Thanks a lot for all the info and advice, I may just try the Osram Nightbreaker's first and see what I think, if im not happy then I will invest in the conversion kits.

I would advise strongly against conversion kits.... you will become yet another driver blinding everyone on the road. If you have halogens then just use good quality bulbs like "nightbreakers" for Osram or other similar. HIDs have quite a lot of tech associated with it like blasts, lenses, deflectors - no wonder conversions are illegal in continent and would result in fine and MOT being stripped on the spot (not in UK though... sadly).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt13 said:

Bumper is easy to take off from parked on ground. Reason to take it off is to properly fasten the ballasts. Why struggle when you do not have to.

Standard bulbs can be changed with bumper in place. But hid ballasts and bulbs are none standard. Believe me i tried both ways and know which is easiest.

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I would advise strongly against conversion kits.... you will become yet another driver blinding everyone on the road. If you have halogens then just use good quality bulbs like "nightbreakers" for Osram or other similar. HIDs have quite a lot of tech associated with it like blasts, lenses, deflectors - no wonder conversions are illegal in continent and would result in fine and MOT being stripped on the spot (not in UK though... sadly).

Strange i have fitted loads i do not get flashed never failed an mot. To which mine is thursday this week. Hids only blind if fitted to standard headlights.

And no they are not illegal, only difference with original and none original is head light washers and afs . And if not fitted are not needed. The so called super 

bulbs are rubbish and last 5 minutes. But each to there own.

Just to be sure about what we talking about. Standard you mean - Halogen H7 bulb vs. Xenon HID Dx type, or there is other standard than standard?

I am 100% sure that HID kit like this woudl blind other drivers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAR-ROVER-Conversion-10000K-Headlight/dp/B011XVJXK2/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490012616&sr=1-5&keywords=hid+kit

That is because headlight assembly is different, lenses and deflectors are not the same and HIDs are much brighter than Halogens, as such they will blind if not restricted and directed.

Again as I have said, they are not illegal in UK - but they are illegal in EU (for a good reason).

HID conversion kits are illegal in UK for the simple reason that the bulbs are not e-marked (and all bulbs used on the exterior of a car must be)

Having said that, I have them - and with no problems - including not getting flashed and passing MoT. But legality of bulbs is a 'Construction and Use' issue and MoTs are not designed to check for compliance with that - just for roadworthiness, so as long as the bulbs are lighting up, are even between both sides and the beam pattern is correct - that's it. The beam pattern is correct when HIDs are used in our reflector beam headlights - the foglights are not checked for beam pattern.

You could theoretically be prosecuted for using any after-market HIDs but the 'law' would have to carry out a detailed examination of your car. How likely is that?

• Like 2

Ohh .... that is interesting, so actually EU=UK in this case, it though they were illegal as of part of "road safety directive" ... which I believe was made in ~2009, where in EU you have to drive with headlight on 24/7/365 and that included things like banning conversions etc. UK has not implemented that directive. So effectively the only difference is that in EU the headlight checks includes checking for "Constructions and Use" and it is heavily enforced and in UK it isn't.

As well just to point out - it is possible to fully retrofit HIDs and that would be fine, but expensive as you would need to replace whole headlight assembly, even without retrofitting AFS or washers (the only part which I believe is useless).

9 minutes ago, johnatg said:

You could theoretically be prosecuted for using any after-market HIDs but the 'law' would have to carry out a detailed examination of your car. How likely is that?

Very, if you are involved in an accident especially involving injury.

Your insurance company may also take a dim view of any undeclared modifications, never mind the (technically) illegal ones... Interesting how one might inform the insurer you have invalidated the car's Construction and Use certificate and made it illegal to use on the road?

• Like 1

That's all true, but it would be interesting to know if there have ever been any prosecutions for using non-e-marked bulbs on a car (except possibly stupid colours, like blue LED sidelights - plenty of them about), or any refusals to pay insurance claims. The most that's likely from the police is a 'get it fixed' directive (I forget the proper term!) which is how (along with MoT failures) they have got rid of number plates with fancy scripts (although there are still plenty of incorrect spacings around)

Conclusion: if you have illegal HID kit and you about to hit somebody, make sure to accelerate enough to smash front of your car beyond recognition..as such making it impossible for investigators to check your "kit"...:whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links