Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IsF versus E92 saloon M3 - Weight

A friend of mine works for the Department of Transport down in Bournemouth, he has just bought a BMW M3 e92 Saloon on a 10 plate with a double clutch gearbox.

Now I've always been sceptical about the historical criticism that the IsF was the Lardy one but was curious when you actually match eggs with eggs, in that a 4 door FULLY equipped M3 Saloon with a double clutch gearbox AND a proper space saver wheel jack+brace in the boot like hours actually weighs.

So he has access to proper calibrated weigh bridge and took his car down and guess what with no driver less than a quarter of a tank of fuel it weighed just over 60kg more than the equivalent specced isF.

Now how do we go about rewriting history😂

The M3 Coupe in same spec weighs 22kg less than the saloon.

Oh he is the second owner of the car got the original bill of sale and looking at the options which are broadly similar to a standard isF at that time 2010, the BMWwas nearly 7.5k more, interesting I thought.

Big Rat

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Ok, I admit, that is a surprise.

So, for those of us unfamiliar with the weight of an ISF, what was the total weight? :smile:

@Shahpor 

Ah yes sorry should have said isF is 1732 kg in my owners manual, depending on which road test you read it does vary a few kg.

Big Rat

Yes that surprises me, but lets face it Ze Germans do have history when it comes to accurate reporting of their vehicles.............VAG Group....................:zorro:

• Like 1

Did he actually weigh an ISF, was that just the difference to what Lexus quote or has someone had theirs weighed accurately?

Probably find that there are some clauses that say the weight of the car is measured is minimum spec dry or something.

3 minutes ago, Chuckie478 said:

Did he actually weigh an ISF, was that just the difference to what Lexus quote or has someone had theirs weighed accurately?

Probably find that there are some clauses that say the weight of the car is measured is minimum spec dry or something.

@Chuckie478 He rang the supervisor at the DOT site at junction 18 by the M4, I went up there in mine, the owners manual says 1732kg with half a tank of fuel mine weighed 1736kg. Autocar magazine said there's tested in 2008 full tank 1720kg.

Big Rat

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Chuckie478 He rang the supervisor at the DOT site at junction 18 by the M4, I went up there in mine, the owners manual says 1732kg with half a tank of fuel mine weighed 1736kg. Autocar magazine said there's tested in 2008 full tank 1720kg.

Big Rat

Pretty accurate then

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chuckie478 said:

Pretty accurate then

Yes matey there were or two personal items in my car but nothing of any consequence.

I don't think much was attached to it back then sheer lazy journalists, not helped by the 4 door BMW coming out I think a few years after the coupe.

Big Rat

15 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

I covered those with my tartan blanket, lambs woolly rigger boots  and this weeks cake allocation 

IMG_2541.JPG

Big Rat

Enough of the cake, I am trying to lose some weight here, extra performance and all that.............................

• Like 1

Just now, Mark G said:

Enough of the cake, I am trying to lose some weight here, extra performance and all that.............................

@Mark G Funny you should say that matey up the road wondered why he wasn't competitive in his Caterham at Silverstone last week ,we did mention the fact that he is now just shy of 21 stone 😂

Big Rat

• Like 1

I know this might be 100% revelant to the topic here but since we're talking about weight and M3s I figured I'll share my experience racing my cousin's E92 M3 from nearly stock to fully tuned (N/A). 

At the end it comes down to a driver's race. On the last video I discovered afterwards that I had a bad exhaust leak on my Joe-Z exhaust so in theory we should do a re-match :) 

First Vid: IS-F Stock E92 has cat-back exhaust:

Second Vid:

IS-F Has PPE Headers, E92 has Cat-back exhaust:

Third Race:

IS-F (PPE Headers + Joe-Z Catless Exhaust + RR Racing Tune (Stock Limiter) - Figs 2-piece Front Rotors + Full Size Spare Removed)

E92 M3 (M-DCT Trans + Eisenmann Race Cat-Back Exhaust + Macht Schnell Stainless Steel Race X-Pipe (Catless) + ESS ECU-Flash Performance Software + ESS Performance DCT Software + 19" Volk TE37 SL)

Oh and forgot this one, Now this race was a bit unfair because the E92 was sitting waiting for me (heat soaking) so I don't consider it fair to be honest. 

I have PPE Headers + Joe-Z exhaust while the E92 only had the catback exhaust. 

The E92 has loads of mods, Tuning makes a significant difference and so does the Transmission tune which you can see in the last Vid before this one, it really makes the E92 fly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links