Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Foglights

Hi guys, so I'm in the process of getting the car ready for shipping, just doing some research on how I can get a rear foglight installed only my rear lights. 

Currently this is what I have in place of where the fog lights should be ( a blocked off hole). 

1F98E147-B573-48B4-8B62-CC2ED13A89E7_zps

Can someone send me a pic of how theirs looks? from the outside with the light on and preferably also from the inside how the wiring looks compared to mine. 

@Defratos

Hi Matey 

Heres a pic of the rear lights all on including fogs but no brakes applied, haven't got time to remove the trim for inside pics on the way to a customer, I will do it later this afternoon if you don't a get a reply in the meantime.IMG_2542.JPGIMG_2543.JPG

Big Rat

• Like 1

Thanks mate, appreciated. 

I thought it would have been only 1 side lighting up, I guess it's both sides. 

I'm trying to do this as OEM as possible so lets see what the US guys tell me about the wiring and if its a simple plug and play.

Do you activate the rear fogs from the indicator stick?

and is it 1 click for front fogs to come on and 2 clicks for the rears to activate? or do both front and rear activate with a single turn?

Here's a pic of the light stalk Matey that operates the lights,

So when the headlights are on which is the outermost rotate of the stork you then rotate up for the fog lights on the innermost section for both front and rear fogs.

Now it's a distinct click for the first section then a further 'silent ' rotate for the second set to come so the first picture shows headlights only- no main beam on.

Second picture headlights and rear fog lights.

Third picture headlights front and rear fog lights on.

Gotta go Matey catch you later good luck 🐀IMG_2544.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2547.JPGIMG_2548.JPG

Thanks for the pics, it seems like even my stalk is different, I wonder if there's a way to integrate both front and rear to a single stork switch if that makes sense. 

here's a pic of mine, only 1 selection for Fog lights :( 

587D8B61-F6F2-4A5E-9F02-4FAE8980C069_zps

@Defratos

Fella been in touch with my local dealer/tech and parts and best thing is if you pm me your mobile number and we can have a chat I've got a list of part numbers/ prices and fit information if it helps.

Big Rat

• Like 1

I believe as long as there is switch to turn them on and off, it should pass "construction and use". You can even have separate button just for rear fogs, not even on the stalk. For example fogs (as all other light controls) on Passat CC are on the side. There is no regulation to say where the switch should be, but certainly you should be able to turn them of and on. I guess twisting wires does not count :whistling:

• Like 1

When i used to own my imported Supra the rear fog light stole one of the reverse lights in the cluster and it had one of those flat round rocker switches fitted into the dash with a light on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I believe as long as there is switch to turn them on and off, it should pass "construction and use". You can even have separate button just for rear fogs, not even on the stalk. For example fogs (as all other light controls) on Passat CC are on the side. There is no regulation to say where the switch should be, but certainly you should be able to turn them of and on. I guess twisting wires does not count :whistling:

As I understand it @Defratos is trying to keep the car looking as standard as possible whether that is cost dependant I don't know, as regards the construction and use regs they most certainly do have to be complied with as to the location, intensity etc etc, loads on the web all about it.

Big Rat

6 minutes ago, mike m said:

When i used to own my imported Supra the rear fog light stole one of the reverse lights in the cluster and it had one of those flat round rocker switches fitted into the dash with a light on it. 

Think he's after trying to keep as standard as possible look but it comes at a cost 😳

Big Rat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Think he's after trying to keep as standard as possible look but it comes at a cost 😳

Am am sure that is the case. That will require replacing both stalks, and a lot of wiring loom.

My suggestion would be to buy written off IS220d or visit breakers (but you will spend same for just a parts as for the whole car) ... plenty of them around for few hundreds, they would have correct stalks, loom and fog lights.

14 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Definitely the same parts, stalks are identical, but IS-F has white indicators, whereas IS250 has yellow, you don't need to change outer rear combination lights, just inner ones which are identical. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, 

Yes I'm trying to keep it as OEM as possible so if I can install the UK type rear lights then that's what I plan to do. 

The only thing now is if I install the UK type lights then I would need to change the stalk, From the pics the stalk doesn't seem that difficult to change.

I've already taken out my steering wheel before so I'm sure its just another step from there. I'll try and see the diagram for the stalks and figure out if it's a simple plug and play.  

Does anyone know if I get the below switch assembly (jap spec which should come with rear foglight switch):

http://www.oemlexusparts.com/2013-lexus-is_f-base-gas_5.0_v_8-transmission_automatic_trans_speeds-steering_column-shroud_switches_levers-8916300/

and buy the rear Foglight assembly would it be a simple plug and play? i.e. will the wiring already be connected up from the rear lights to the new stork? 

From the pictures the plugs for the wires all look the same as mine, I'm just wondering if within those plugs there's a difference if that makes sense. 

@Defratos

Did you get my last pm matey the question you posed in your last post is answered in there, basically it's the lighting changes made to the front of the later cars that may just may effect the wiring layout into the column up to the stork plugs.

Big Rat

Looking around OEM Lexus part suppliers I have only managed to get the correct light assembly from these guys (Megazip) I have no idea how good or reliable they are but they seem to have everything:

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/lexus-is-f-1919/use20-3646/use20-fezrh-425234/rear-combination-lamp-5518439

I have made one order before but still waiting for the part to arrive, has anyone tried them  before?

51 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Defratos

Did you get my last pm matey the question you posed in your last post is answered in there, basically it's the lighting changes made to the front of the later cars that may just may effect the wiring layout into the column up to the stork plugs.

Big Rat

Just saw your PM and replied back thanks. 

22 minutes ago, Defratos said:

Now I'm thinking for the time being just getting the below retro kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Import-fog-lamp-kit-MOT-or-SVA-/222413932500

@Defratos I think it would be best to go the simple route for now get the vehicle through the necessary, and once in the uk you can get it as you want at your leisure.

It will be much easier on your wallet and patience 😂

That kit above is the obvious way to go for now 👍

Big Rat

Yup thanks Mate, just ordered it should be in the house within a day or two and then I'll ship it to here and install it before shipping the car over so its all good to go. 

Thanks for the help, will update you guys on pics once it's done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defratos said:

Now I'm thinking for the time being just getting the below retro kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Import-fog-lamp-kit-MOT-or-SVA-/222413932500

Well that is what I said before - to meet "construction and use" you just need working fog light and switch.

As for proper retrofit, I would personally use used parts. Inner combination light on IS-F is identical to pre-facelift IS250/220d (2005-2009), the stalks should be regiond dependent, not model dependent i.e. all IS mk2 in UK should have same stalks with front/rear fogs switches. When it comes to wiring loom, I am sure again it will be region dependent which would mean you would need to change entire (or large part) loom. I believe it would be easier to custom-wire just rear fogs, because the rest should be compatible.

Thanks Linas, yes my worry is when it comes to changing the wiring loom and if it's a major change then I doubt I'll be doing it. 

In future I would plan to install the rear clusters and wire them on a independent switch to make it at least look OEM from the outside when it comes to the fogs being on. 

I actually quite like the fog light you linked.... It reminds me F1 brake lights - kind of crude basic light to serve the purpose. Maybe you find some use for it on the track...