Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just went to top up my screen wash and I noticed that my coolant level looked low.  Is this normal (see attached)??  Looks empty?  Wasn't that long since it was changed and the car is driving fine...?

20170321_121759.jpg

13 minutes ago, PJD said:

Just went to top up my screen wash and I noticed that my coolant level looked low.  Is this normal (see attached)??  Looks empty?  Wasn't that long since it was changed and the car is driving fine...?

Just top up to the lower level mark. I find if I go to the higher mark it overflows when hot. Use red premix.

20170321_121759.jpg

• Like 1

I have never noticed this before, - I have an important journey to do later which I cannot miss, - 150 mile round trip - so had me worried...

13 minutes ago, PJD said:

I have never noticed this before, - I have an important journey to do later which I cannot miss, - 150 mile round trip - so had me worried...

Is this cold or hot? 

If it's cold it won't hurt to add some water up to the min/cold level

• Like 1

I've only noticed below cold level when there  was a leak from the expansion tank.  Common on LS400 as the level indicator part was usually tightened into the top with too much force causing a crack 

Surely a Dashboard  indicator light will come on for such a low level?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Is this cold or hot? 

If it's cold it won't hurt to add some water up to the min/cold level

This is stone cold.

Unfortunately I do not have any coolant left - i've just ordered some.  I may top it up a little with water for the journey later whilst I wait for it to arrive... hope it'll be okay?

Just now, PJD said:

This is stone cold.

Unfortunately I do not have any coolant left - i've just ordered some.  I may top it up a little with water for the journey later whilst I wait for it to arrive... hope it'll be okay?

Yeah a bit of water won't hurt. I don't think we'll be hitting -15 degrees anymore :)

• Like 1

long way back on my Mk1 Ls400 I had an issue with the coolant tank level and it was a slight crack in the cap washer that was aged and not doing it's job properly ...  6 squid or thereabouts then for a new one, which remedied .............  not from Lexus though

Malc

• Like 1

Looks a tad low. About 1/2 a pint will bring it up to scratch. Fill it stone cold and on the level. Any slope affects it. Watch/check it for a few days. Mine never drops an inch, after a few days of stabilizing/checks. If you can, top up with 50% red antifreeze. Cheap at Euro Car Parts.

• Like 1

Yes, happened on a SAAB of mine. If the radiator cap is just a bit weepy, (often not really visible) the fluid overflows and is lost. Tell tale signs can be dried pinkish stains down the side. Or.....it could just be a tad low and needs topping up. Monitoring is the key. If it just needs topping up and stays steady, that is fine. If not, there is a problem.

• Like 1