Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nearly a year already

5 hours ago, mike m said:

Can't believe that's nearly a year since picking up the isf. Unfortunately it means service,  mot, tax and insurance are all due the same month lol.  

Main thing is that I still can't think of another car I'd rather have at the moment. Every drive still feels like a big event and I love the fact nobody seems to know what it is as a newish Audi S4 found out the hard way the other week :-)

So I was inspired by the detailing thread to spend some time with the Claybar, Autglym super resin polish and a coat of R222 wax to get her ready for the decent weather. Takes ages but satisfying all the same. The amount of crap the clay bar finds always amazes me.

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

Definitely worth all the hard work, car looks stunning!! Still my favourite colour for the car.

I haven't used a clay bar and really must give it a go. I would be interested in any recommendations re brand etc?

I also use the Autoglym Super Resin Polish and finish iwith Autoglym High definition wax which does seem to last better than anything else I've used to date.  Might be worth giving it a go - it also seems to give a glassier finish as the wax ages.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAW said:

Definitely worth all the hard work, car looks stunning!! Still my favourite colour for the car.

I haven't used a clay bar and really must give it a go. I would be interested in any recommendations re brand etc?

I also use the Autoglym Super Resin Polish and finish iwith Autoglym High definition wax which does seem to last better than anything else I've used to date.  Might be worth giving it a go - it also seems to give a glassier finish as the wax ages.

@DAW

David at the Cannock meet on the weekend people were discussing claying I believe it was @Toothywho had some good success with a clay mit and lubricant, his car certainly did look very very good.

Big Rat

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@mike m

Saw this thought of yours a great vid sorry about the music, one of those turntables fit in your garage matey 🤓

lol dont tempt me. Would save reversing in all the time. Nice find btw

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DAW said:

Thanks Daw.

I use a Meguiars clay bar and Meguiars quick detailer for em ahem Lube.

Lifted all the tar fairly quickly even if you cant see anything on the paint the clay still turned black.

I remember someone mentioning that Autoglym super resin polish had filling agents so i use this to hide the swirls then wax over it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike m said:

lol dont tempt me. Would save reversing in all the time. Nice find btw

Glad you like it, one recessed into garage floor, electrically operated of course about 3k installed, the way Mrs Rat drives it would be a veratible bargain 😏

Big Rat

• Like 1

clay mit is the way to go. Much faster and less effort than a clay bar. I was sceptical at first. Just make sure it stays wet, as others have said, a strong solutions of shampoo does the trick.

I'm a fan of Meguires products.  Saying that I'm going to give the poorboys glaze and wax a go on the black paint.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattmech said:

Clay mit is the way to go. Much faster and less effort than a clay bar. I was sceptical at first. Just make sure it stays wet, as others have said, a strong solutions of shampoo does the trick.

I'm a fan of Meguires products.  Saying that I'm going to give the poorboys glaze and wax a go on the black paint.

Less chance of dropping a clay mit and scratching the paint lol. i'll see about trying one out next time. Be good to see how you get on with the poorboys stuff, seen some good reviews.

Cheers

Mike

I found the Gliptone cleaner a bit "gloopy" for the perforated leather and didn't clean too well either..  Others on here have recommended Dodo Juice and I have to say it does a lovely job.

After the Dodo treatment, my leather looked very grey and flat but the Gliptone conditioner brought it back to the shiny black that it should be.  I think the aroma may be a bit Marmite, but I like it.

Looks absolutely stunning!

On 3/21/2017 at 8:53 PM, Big Rat said:

@DAW

David at the Cannock meet on the weekend people were discussing claying I believe it was @Toothywho had some good success with a clay mit and lubricant, his car certainly did look very very good.

Big Rat

Good memory Mr. Rat. Always used a clay bar before, but the mitt was much easier to use! I'd say it took 1/5 of the time to clay the car compared with a bar. Didn't use a quick detailer (although you can), just a bucket of extra soapy car shampoo. Making sure it's had a really good wash beforehand. clay bar still has its place, i think it would be more effective at removing heavier contaminants, and for getting in tighter areas.

This is the exact mitt and seller i purchased from:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Farecla-7191-G3-Pro-Body-Prep-Clay-Mitt-/282383043969?

Can be used multiple times, and if you drop it just wash it off. very frustrating having to throw a clay bar away because you've dropped it after 5 mins!

I can vouch for Poorboys Black Hole glaze too. Good stuff.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Toothy said:

Looks absolutely stunning!

Good memory Mr. Rat. Always used a clay bar before, but the mitt was much easier to use! I'd say it took 1/5 of the time to clay the car compared with a bar. Didn't use a quick detailer (although you can), just a bucket of extra soapy car shampoo. Making sure it's had a really good wash beforehand. Clay bar still has its place, i think it would be more effective at removing heavier contaminants, and for getting in tighter areas.

This is the exact mitt and seller i purchased from:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Farecla-7191-G3-Pro-Body-Prep-Clay-Mitt-/282383043969?

Can be used multiple times, and if you drop it just wash it off. very frustrating having to throw a clay bar away because you've dropped it after 5 mins!

I can vouch for Poorboys Black Hole glaze too. Good stuff.

@Toothy I shall forward the link to Mrs Rat to add to the amazon/Bay  list for the small number of car products I'm allowed. Amongst the mountain of shoes, handbags,coats,...........😂

Big Rat

On 21/03/2017 at 9:15 PM, mike m said:

Thanks Daw.

I use a Meguiars clay bar and Meguiars quick detailer for em ahem Lube.

Lifted all the tar fairly quickly even if you cant see anything on the paint the clay still turned black.

I remember someone mentioning that autoglym super resin polish had filling agents so i use this to hide the swirls then wax over it.

Thanks for the info I will definitely give it a go & I won't forget the ahem Lube!! :wink3:

• Like 1

Yep - a year too for me in my 2012 black ISF (have done about 3.5K miles in that time).  Mind you with my previous 08 ISF I now have about five years time with the ISF and counting :yes:

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

At first glance this RX looks ready equipped to deal with the sky rats !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-56-LEXUS-RX-400H-3-3-SE-CVT-5DR-/112345156147?hash=item1a284b0a33:g:S3gAAOSwB-1Y0~P5

@steveledzep

Niw I like that matey my bids going in now, that side 75mm sponson attachment may just have a slight influence on the handling,

Sky Rats beware, mind you in a road rage situation that would make a good attention getter 😂

Big Rat