Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Our IS has a new driveway friend....

Picked up our Tesla Model X less than 3 days ago, done some 250 miles in it already despite my commute been less than 10 miles :)

Let's just say it's rather good, despite it been the slowest and cheapest Model X it's totally redefined what I think a car can/should do!!

A 2.5 ton 6 seater 5 meter long SUV that accelerates and handles like my old 350Z even on tiny unclassified roads, gull wing doors that really should't work but do, powered doors, endless windscreen.....It's crazy any car company have managed to build this thing, let alone one thats only been around for a decade!!

33419649402_8f22f9c0a1_z.jpg

33193215640_695aa67fa5_z.jpg

32733358834_6135dafb84_z.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

Picked up our Tesla Model X less than 3 days ago, done some 250 miles in it already despite my commute been less than 10 miles :)

Let's just say it's rather good, despite it been the slowest and cheapest Model X it's totally redefined what I think a car can/should do!!

A 2.5 ton 6 seater 5 meter long SUV that accelerates and handles like my old 350Z even on tiny unclassified roads, gull wing doors that really should't work but do, powered doors, endless windscreen.....It's crazy any car company have managed to build this thing, let alone one thats only been around for a decade!!

33419649402_8f22f9c0a1_z.jpg

33193215640_695aa67fa5_z.jpg

32733358834_6135dafb84_z.jpg

I did wonder where you were hiding Gang. Do keep us updated with Progress Reports.She looks incredible.....and Warp Drive too ?.

Regards

John

very nice and congrats mate, i test drove the model s and it was a weird yet satifying sensation, it was the 75Kw version, full kit, with Auto-pilot. if i had the money would have definitely put money down there and then. 

1 hour ago, Ken.K said:

very nice and congrats mate, i test drove the model s and it was a weird yet satifying sensation, it was the 75Kw version, full kit, with Auto-pilot. if i had the money would have definitely put money down there and then. 

I chopped my NX300h in for the S 60D, so have a £750 referral code you could use. :smile: In fairness so has @ganzoom  and this is his thread  so if he posts it you could use that. I also totally understand that £750 is a drop in the ocean but "every little helps".

In case you are seriously considering it, the S 60kWh is being discontinued from mid April, the entry level will be the 75kWh -  and that's another chunk of money to find. That's a real shame but I think Tesla are trying to put clear water between the Model 3 and Model S pricing. 

6 minutes ago, DJP said:

I chopped my NX300h in for the S 60D, so have a £750 referral code you could use. :smile: In fairness so has @ganzoom  and this is his thread  so if he posts it you could use that. I also totally understand that £750 is a drop in the ocean but "every little helps".

In case you are seriously considering it, the S 60kWh is being discontinued from mid April, the entry level will be the 75kWh -  and that's another chunk of money to find. That's a real shame but I think Tesla are trying to put clear water between the Model 3 and Model S pricing. 

thank you very much mate but it is well appreciated but I would not be looking to get a tesla anytime soon till i probably get on the property ladder and i have my own drive way or at least a safe place to charge it. but it is definitely on my list of future potentials. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

That is impressive. At least you will not be giving other cars a car park ding!

Yeah, very considerate.

Unfortunately, your neighbouring parkers will still bash the hell out of yours though. :sad:  Happens to us all unfortunately.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Yeah, very considerate.

Unfortunately, your neighbouring parkers will still bash the hell out of yours though. :sad:  Happens to us all unfortunately.

The rear doors have worked flawlessly, because the driver can open/close them as you as you stop the car, via the key fob, if you have small children it's so much more convenient.

At nursery drop off I stop the car, tell the rear door to open, by the time I have got out of the drivers seat and around to the child seat I'm greeted by this enormous space in which to get my daughter out without having to worry about low roof lines, awakard door openings, and it works well as an umbrella!! The doors than close at a touch of a button....Honestly I don't know how I've managed all this before in a car with normal doors :)..

Oh and yes although the doora open in limited space I keep away from other cars

32723842954_664eea2505_z_d.jpg 

• Like 1

Apparently you can drive with the doors up but don't want to end up been the first idiot in the UK to do this... 

model-x-falcon-wing-doors-crash-photo.jp

Did first M-way trip in the car yesterday, wife drove half the way. As I suspected she now loves the X.... I might end up having to slum in the Lexus soon if she decides to keep the key to the X :) 

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

Apparently you can drive with the doors up but don't want to end up been the first idiot in the UK to do this... 

model-x-falcon-wing-doors-crash-photo.jp

Did first M-way trip in the car yesterday, wife drove half the way. As I suspected she now loves the X.... I might end up having to slum in the Lexus soon if she decides to keep the key to the X :) 

You can never slum in a Lexus. The Tesla sounds brilliant.......but........ the jury is still out!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

You can never slum in a Lexus. The Tesla sounds brilliant.......but........ the jury is still out!

A Blue Tesla passed me on the M53 on Fiday afternoon, Reg TE66LA. GOOD TRY, BUT INCORRECT SPELLING.MUST HAVE BEEN A BANKER ?

Regards

John

3 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Am jesting, the IS is a great car.... But compared to the Model X it really does feel like using a old Palm Treo after getting use to the latest smart phones.

Before we got the X my wife was still unsure about having a EV only driveway but when the time comes to replace the IS I have a feeling if its not got a full EV drive train she wouldn't be interested.... Which sadly means our Lexus ownership experience will likely end when the IS goes. 

the doors have sensors mounted inside that sense objects around them

but I have seen it on the internet when the sensors fail and the doors either

bang into something or they wont open or close properly,tesla is still in its infancy and bringing

new ideas to the market like anything new you always have teething issues

I'm sure they will have any teething issues sorted before long.

I don't doubt it and admire their ambition. I hope that their cars will become more and more affordable.

I wonder how well they will retain their value on the second hand market. I guess that either they will very much be sought after, or that people will shy away from the new technology. They are certainly extremely popular in California. I was there recently on business I often saw 4 or 5 following each other on the motorway at commuting time. Having said this, I doubt that they are as popular in other US states where environmental issues are less of a concern...

15 hours ago, DanD said:

I wonder how well they will retain their value on the second hand market. I guess that either they will very much be sought after, or that people will shy away from the new technology. 

I normally buy used 2-3 year old cars because am a tight git who hates lossing money on deprecation... 

But a 3 year old Tesla model S with 30-40k on the clock are going for £45-50k on Autotrader. Compare that to a brand new Model S which could have been had for £53k at the time I ordred. 

A few odd things have happened with Tesla UK pricing to cause the bizzar low deprecation. Uk price have gone up due to weak £ and Tesla themselves have actively been pushing up prices to make room for the cheaper Model 3.

Our car ordered today would cost you £20K MORE than what we paid for it back in August 2016. Our car also have 'free for life' supercharging access and £0 VED. Where as all new cars have pay 20p/kWh for supercharging and affected by £40k VED rule.

So I suspect our X will be one of the slowest depreciating cars I've ever bought, but given I doubt we will ever sell this car that fact is pretty irrelevant for me.

Am watching the Model 3 with interest, pricing wise itll be in IS300H ball park figures. As long as Tesla don't go mad cutting back features to save money that will most likely be the replacement for the IS come 2019/2020.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/slowest-depreciating-cars-on-sale