Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery light and no power steering - any ideas?

CMC

Hi,

I'm suspecting an alternator issue, but while I wait for it to stop throwing it down so I can take a proper look I was hoping to undearth a fix that wasn't going to cost 500+

Here's what happened...

For the last week or so I've noticed a slight whine coming from the engine. A bit like the hum you get from the radio when suppression is failing, but the radio was off.

Today, towards the end of a 50 mile motorway run, in the pouring rain, I had a power steering failure. I was off the motorway, on A roads and coming up to a roundabout. Travelling slowly I noticed all steering assistance had gone. I also noticed out of the corner of my eye that the Battery light had come on and wasn't sure but I may have cut out. I managed to limp/muscle my way over the roundabout to get out of harm's way and then, being close to home thought I'd try and limp back. Then a few hundred yards further down the road, I noticed the steering assistance was back. 

So I decided to get home as carefully as I could. But I had to stop at a set of roadworks and as soon as I stopped the light came on again and the steering went again. I put it in park and revved which cut the light and away I went with steering fully assisted again in 50 yards.

Anyway, I got home with one more steering failure as I turned onto my drive (after stopping for an oncoming car).

So assuming the worst I'm thinking alternator failure. If anyone can make me feel better with an alternative solution, or cheaper problems to check first I'd be a happy bunny.

And if anyone has any reliable alternator sources that might be useful too. A quick search at Euro Car Parts is coming up at £559!

Thanks.

Chris

Thank you both. I'm not going to get a chance to test it properly until tomorrow now but I'll cross fingers for the Battery

It's not that old though and I haven't knowingly run it down. I may even look and see if I have a receipt and if it is in warranty. 

Wiuld that explain the whine though? Would it put extra strain on the alternator perhaps?

Maybe the Battery terminals have worked loose, have they been checked since the Battery was replaced?

Or as suggested, either the Battery or alternator aren't earthed properly.

Yeah, the whine might be extra load being applied to the alternator.  Is the belt in good shape and at the correct tension?

If the Battery has a shorted cell the Battery voltage falls from around 14 volts fully charged to around 12 volts. The alternator sees this a a flat Battery, and will put out large amount of amps to try to charge it quickly. This can make the alternator and drive belt noisy.

Check the Battery voltage with a load such as side lights turned on. If below 12.5 the Battery is probably faulty. If the engine will start the Battery voltage should go up with gentle revving to about 14.2 volts or more. No rise in voltage points to a faulty alternator.

This could be something as simple as the slippring brushes stuck or worn. Usually only one brush wares out as one runs at the centre of the shaft the other at a radius point. It is the radius point brush that wares the most. Sometimes swapping them over will cure the problem.

John 

• Like 1

The Battery light does come on when there is an issue with the Battery. I have not long replaced mine after the light flashed on then off a few times but along with that it was labouring to start on a few cold mornings, something it has never done so I replaced the Battery and now alls fine.

When you replaced yours did you replace it with the right spec Battery?

Thanks for all the suggestions and info folks.

I'll be able to check everything out later this morning and will report back.

As far as the Battery goes it was supposed to be of spec - it was supplied by Euro Car Parts - and has been fine for 6 months or so.

I'll check connections, run some voltage tests and go from there. I'm pleased to have several options before the Alternator comes into play and currently have my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Hmm, not looking great.

I had to jump the car first. The Battery was reading about 11.5 volts. That jumpeed about one volt to 12.5 when I revved it. Turn on the lights and the 11.5 (no revving) dropped to about 11. That then went up to about 12 when revved.

Regardless of the situation it never got even close to 14.

Could that be because the Battery is gone? Is there any other way to check other than buying a Battery?

When you lost power steering, did you lose power brakes also? Did the rest of the dashboard lights come on? I had the same symptoms as you as in whining noise from the alternator. Turned out to be alternator on the way out. Don't concern yourself with the Euro Car Parts price - they won't be able to source you one anyway. Plenty on eBay for about £212 delivered. There are two types for IS250 depending on model year, so make sure you do a compatibility search on the product page. Also you could get yours refurbished, mine cost £80 fitted.

Hi,

I think there were other lights on. I can't really remember how the brakes felt, I was preoccupied with getting myself out of the way. But I have resigned myself to getting a new alternator.

It's booked into my local mechanics on Monday. I'll see what part price they come up with and go from there.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Chris

It turns out the alternator was dead. My local garage quoted 350 (inc) for the replacement part and it turns out it was only £260 (inc) from the stealership direct. So I went and got one and dropped it off at  my local garage

However, they are now telling me there is a fault with the front camshaft sensor! Strikes me as odd that it would go at the exact time. Could it be a wiring issue?

It was camshaft sensor not crank. To be fair they established it was a loose wire by swapping them over. So all in £100 to replace alternator. Plus £260 for the part. Could have been worse. 

• Like 1