Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guy . Does anyone know the average mileage you will get from a set of front discs. Had my car serviced at Lexus Chester in august last year . 17000 miles at time . But came back as a advisory that front discs had a lip on  and 3 mm on pads . So I've got new brembo front discs and pads for less then £300 from euro car parts £80 fitted from a good friend that's  a mechanic. How much would Lexus charge me ? 

• Like 1

Would probably be around £1,000. You can woukd get a free wash and vacuum though 😉.  Wise move, exactly what I've done, spare set of pads and discs ready to be put on by my trusted independent mechanic when required. 

• Like 1

On the US forums it suggests that the 'rotors' (discs) can last 20-25,000 miles or more. Interesting picture here which is from the service manual (relates to the rears).

Screenshot_20170322-210833.thumb.png.581f23850d3818f25212625be33d9f02.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Hi guy . Does anyone know the average mileage you will get from a set of front discs. Had my car serviced at Lexus Chester in august last year . 17000 miles at time . But came back as a advisory that front discs had a lip on  and 3 mm on pads . So I've got new brembo front discs and pads for less then £300 from euro car parts £80 fitted from a good friend that's  a mechanic. How much would Lexus charge me ? 

@Warrington guy

Honestly what's the matter with you all don't you all see what you are missing by doing this europarts thing.

Your feet gliding across the highly polished dealer floor the friendly female receptionist ushering you to the sumptuously upholstered sofas, then plying you with pastries little bikkies and wonderful coffee.

Then when you've had your fill, she returns and guides you the service desk when an invoice is slid in front of you and they then

FINCIALLY RAPE YOU 😂

Whats the matter you got no sense of adventure 😂

Big Rat

• Like 2

Might be worth getting a micrometer to test the thickness. Pads can go 20,000 + and discs can go ALOT further it seems, it's all down to your driving style. Worth a read...shows the huge different in lifespan of discs/brakes

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/547596-is-f-brake-rotor-lifetime.html

2 hours ago, Warrington guy said:

Lexus wanted £985 to replace my front discs and pads due to corrosion and uneven pad wear. Mine has just turned 17k and still on the originals. Service guy said it wasn't urgent. 

Like you i'll be going to Euro car parts and I'll fit them myself.

Had mine serviced last month, Lexus VSC says brake pads have 5mm front and 8mm rear remaining but no mention of the discs, but they looked in pretty good condition to me. Done 23k miles, I'd get a second opinion from a trusted mechanic to make sure they do need changing.

I think it very much depends on your driving. My car is a daily driver and the car did 60k before needing new discs and pads at the front. The rear pads are getting close to needing to be changed but aren't there yet. There rear discs are OK.

I know very little about discs/pads or most other things in the universe, but there will always be a slight lip, because the pad doesn't cover the full disc?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

I know very little about discs/pads or most other things in the universe, but there will always be a slight lip, because the pad doesn't cover the full disc?

@lockeyboy you fella are absolutely right, there will be a lip quite normal, its the thickness of the disc that is being reduced across the pad area that has to be watched.

The 'F' has high quality brakes, albeit a bit dirty - that's the trade off for OEM, in my opinion a small price to pay, the dirt that is 😂

Big Rat

• Like 1

I just don't see how the car can need discs and pads in 20,000 miles irrespective of how it clocked up the miles admittedly motorway miles are a lot kinder on the brakes but discs and pads in 20k, no way.

40 minutes ago, Mark G said:

I just don't see how the car can need discs and pads in 20,000 miles irrespective of how it clocked up the miles admittedly motorway miles are a lot kinder on the brakes but discs and pads in 20k, no way.

It depends on your driving style, some people I see on the roads brake a dozen times, while I either don't brake, or brake when I actually need to.

It will also depend on the environment where you drive.

It will also depend on the combination of manufacturers of the discs and pads.

ad infinitum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Verbout said:

It depends on your driving style, some people I see on the roads brake a dozen times, while I either don't brake, or brake when I actually need to.

ad infinitum.

@Verbout you ain't allowed on here showing that TSR2 just makes me want to jump in the 'F 'and drive to Cosford 😂

🐁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Verbout said:

ad infinitum.

Yes it does depend on all those factors , but unless the discs are made of chocolate, no way In 20,000 miles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark G said:

Yes it does depend on all those factors , but unless the discs are made of chocolate, no way In 20,000 miles.

That was the point I was making. ;) 

57 minutes ago, Big Rat said:

@Verbout you ain't allowed on here showing that TSR2 just makes me want to jump in the 'F 'and drive to Cosford 😂

🐁

Now - there's a thought............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark G said:

Living in hilly Yorkshire, you get to see a lot of funny things! 

One of these things are people with autos going down hills with their foot riding the brake so you can imagine the local Kwik Fit is very busy fitting pads all the time. 

17k does seem a little low for pads needing a change but hey, if you've been driving it hard, its not unexpected, especially if you also do a lot of town driving (stop start). 

Any chance the lip on the discs are just added rust rather than a true lip?

I used to grind the lip off, did it recently on the sons old Vectra to get new pads to bed correctly.

As Rayaans says, it's mostly rust, caused by water being flung to the outer edges of the disc.