Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speed control question

Before I start - PLEASE members DO NOT give me any sarcy remarks and please please DO NOT make attempts at being funny! Thanks:smile:

Any how, I drive a lexus is200 and a BMW 325i. I'm usually very careful at controlling my speed and do not like going over the speed limit. I'm not trying to act like an angel but since POLICE SCOTLAND formed, I have seen TOO TOO TOO MANY coppers hiding in corners and popping at odd times with speed guns etc (12 am on many occasions). I've even been followed by cops for no reason in a very dangerous way. So due to all that and not wanting to be pulled, I drive very carefully and keep an eye on the speedo at all times. In the case of the BM, the car is factory lowered and I can feel the road more so can very often keep under 30 without really looking at the speedo, and at higher speeds just use the cruise control to keep within the speed. However the same isn't quite achieved with the Lexus. Although the Lexus isn't as nice a place to be in as the BM, I find the Japs have done an excellent job at making a smooth car. At 30mph in the Lexus I feel as I'm at 20 and at 70 it's like I'm at 50mph, basically sense of speed in this car is not all there. So my question is: do you recommend any such devices to be more cautious of speed and is cruise control something relatively easy to retro fit?

Thanks

Quite often many car manufacturers will put in in cable form that will have all the wiring for a cruise control even if it not going to have one fitted at the build stage so first I would find out of the wiring is already there. I cant help you where you need to look though. Good luck.

I would be more in favour of a speed limiter, rather than cruise control. A limiter will allow one to drive 'normally' but not exceed a set speed. Cruise on the other hand will try and maintain a set speed not allowing the driver to vary the speed (easily) and not preventing him from exceeding a desired limit.

I was surprised that Lexus don't include a limiter along with cruise control, as Mercedes do. 

Just look at the speedo regularly. 

You won't get pulled unless you're doing serious speeds. And even if you do, who cares? As long as you don't have drugs in your car and the paperwork is sorted, you shouldn't have anything to worry about

If I feel like Im being followed by a copper, I usually pull over - 9/10 they'll just go past.

1 mph over the limit and you will be pulled. I have nothing to fear at all tbh, I will though say when your being followed and you pull over - you automatically will raise suspicion. That has happened to me before because a cop was following me and actually ****** me off so I pulled over; you can guess what happened next. 

due to manufactures delibarte speedo errors/inaccuracy you are permitted at least 10% leeway so a 30mph zone will allow up to 33-35 mphish over same applies to 60mph or 70 mph. if you want to feel/hear the road more you can lower the ride height and fit poly bushes . 1 mph over a speed limit will not result in a ticket due to varying car speedo errors/inaccuracy set by manufactures so when cruising at 30mph your real land speed is around 25-27mph 

why spend on a limiter when you can quickly glance at the speedo when driving. takes less than a sec to quickly glance at the speedometer and adjust your speed accordingly!

Personally, I found a speed limiter very useful, especially in 50mph restrictions in road works. Far too much going on to keep glancing down. Yes, perfectly do-able but I liked to keep my eyes on the road and be sure in the knowledge the limiter would keep me legal.

That all said not sure I'd go to down the route of retro-fitting, unless it was cheap and simple.

5 hours ago, iffy said:

1 mph over the limit and you will be pulled. I have nothing to fear at all tbh, I will though say when your being followed and you pull over - you automatically will raise suspicion. That has happened to me before because a cop was following me and actually ****** me off so I pulled over; you can guess what happened next. 

When I said I pull over, I mean I go into a random B&Q car park or something like that, they never follow you in.

That's true theoretically but practically, they can't be arsed pulling everyone over. There'll be a reason you're getting followed and pulled over if its happened more than once in a year. 

How about a retrofit head up display? 

Have to say though, at which point would you class this as a mild Delusional Disorder?

9 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Quite often many car manufacturers will put in in cable form that will have all the wiring for a cruise control even if it not going to have one fitted at the build stage so first I would find out of the wiring is already there. I cant help you where you need to look though. Good luck.

Bluesman is quite correct in his statement. For instance in the bottom of the range Toyota Prius "the T3" cruise control was not fitted. However all that was missing was the cruise control stalk, and another switch on the brake pedal that canceled cruise. All the wiring was there as were the inputs to the ECU. So if other models in the same range as your car have cruise do some checking.

John.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I've read the guidelines by the ACPO are for a leeway of 10% plus 2mph for speeding offences (stress, guidelines). So 35 in a 30 is the practical limit if they aren't to be pulling-over 90% of drivers. I assume the IS200's speedo is calibrated much the same as the IS300's and I can say from experience coming into villages with those "Your speed" signs that an indicated 35mph they show 30mph, so you'd have to be pretty careless to get done, or unfortunate if they've set the speed trap is right at the entrance to the zone after a derestricted stretch. Helps of course with 30s to be in the right gear; in my 300 fourth or third make it less likely I'll creep over, even with down hill bits. 50s are trickier, but again being in fourth helps me. In some counties you have to be more aware than others as they have a habit on A-roads of sticking in little bits of 40, 50 and derestricted until you get punch drunk with signage and can get caught out.