Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

430 or 460? A few questions?

Hi all, been awhile sense i have posted on here.  Any some people may remember me from about a year ago i considering selling a previous car my Passat and buying a cheaper one at the time i was considering a LS400.  This was all in the aid of me and wife becoming debt free what will nowl happen in a couple of months.... :smile:.   This is partly thanks to a neighbour's writing off the Passat and my hand was forced into buying a cheaper car.  I found a half decent IS200 (my 2nd one).  

Any how once the last few payments are made i shall be starting to save again, i will be saving towards a new 2nd hand car and i still got that inch for a LS.  By the time i shall have the funds to buy a car, the LS460’s should have come down that little bit more and do i love the looks of them.  But i have read/watched a few reviews and have stated that the running cost will break the bank?  I get why they have said this if they are referring to the MPG what isn’t to much of a issue for me.  But they are talking about repair bills, this is a Lexus they don’t tend to break.  Yes i can see that if something was to break it could cost a fair bit, but saying that most cars do.  A LS430 running cost shall be on par.  When it comes to servicing i will be doing that myself like i always have.

What are they like to live with on a daily basis?  I mean as a family car, space wise i don’t think will be a issue as the LS specially the 460 are a behemoth of car on the road.  How do you all deal with them in say multi-storey car parks etc or going to the super market?

Aaron 

Very valid questions regarding supermarkets and multi story car parks .

These parking spaces are now smaller to fit more cars in and the trend for compacts .

Personally I avoid the multi story because of the tight access and on supermarket car parks I park in the remote places and stay with the car.

When you have a nice car there is always a low life who resents that and will take it out on the car .

One of the criteria for owning these cars is constant awareness of unwarranted damage to them.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Aaron 

These parking spaces are now smaller to fit more cars in and the trend for compacts .

Personally I avoid the multi story because of the tight access and on supermarket car parks I park in the remote places and stay with the car.

When you have a nice car there is always a low life who resents that and will take it out on the car .

One of the criteria for owning these cars is constant awareness of unwarranted damage to them.

I'm the same as Phil, having experience of a ridiculous number of parking dents by idiots who damage my cars over the years, I struggle to take the LS400's anywhere and park them, without choosing the furthest possible spot, and taking two spaces (so as not to inconvenience anyone else who needs to park, I park at the furthest possible point, away from everyone)

Due to the boat like size, I don't think I'd be comfortable driving in a multistorey.  I've seen spaces that small fiats fill up, as no doubt have many others.

Having said that, they're all lovely cars though arent they.  Pure luxury and engineering excellence.

LS460 with a maintenance and warranty from Lexus, peace of mind.  Or a cheaper LS430 with change to spend on fixes?  Notwithstanding the vast amount of free info on this site to boot.

• Like 1

Can only speak for my first 430. This is a 2002 car with 30,000 miles on it. It was a Lexus demonstrator, bought by a gentleman who did very few miles in his later years. He paid £45,500 in 2003, I paid £4,500 last May. It past its MOT easily on Tuesday.

I simply love it. What do I love. The quiet (SAAB like understatement, no flashy bling bodywork here, the new LS had me choking!), 25-27 mpg (mostly motorway/dual carriage), the silence, the interior, the perfect air suspension, the comfort, the safety, the power of the engine, the gearbox which is almost unnoticeable in its changes., the reliability, (nothing has gone wrong in 12k miles), the paintwork and quality of the fixtures and fittings.

Problems: I wish the boot opened with the central looking, it seems to be an anti-theft feature on most cars these days, but is a faff opening it separately, The Mark Levingston hi-fi. I live in Suffolk (an iffy radio area) and it is not sensitive to picking up channels. A £70 JVC from amazon would be better. The '6 stacking CD player is also tricky. A single is better in my view. It is a big car to park, and the family have a panic in a multi-story car park, but big = limo= class and comfort. The engine under-tray makes oil changes longer than they should be. Lack of a car manual, but that is not the car's fault, it is true of many minority cars. Wish it had a cam chain, not a belt, although it is good for 90k miles.

The key to running an old car is to over-service it. I have just bought 5 litres of top Shell synthetic plus a Mann oil filter for £31 from Euro Car Parts. As the car stood for a while I am doing the first two oil changes at 7,500 miles each, then at 50,000 miles I'll go over to 10k miles changes. Pagid pads ALL round are £57. Amazing price although they are a 2-3 day special order not in stock.

I bought the car planning to do about 7k a year but a family sickness means I have done 12K in 8 months and 5k in 5 weeks. I can't think of a better way to travel if you have too. I think the 460 has a road tax of £500+.

p.s. DHL has just delivered all by car bits. Free delivery at home, 2 days after on-line (25% discount) ordering.....and the sun is shinning too.

• Like 3

I agree with most of what micheal has said - ive had mine for over 4 years - 136k miles  - I service it every 12 months with Castrol Edge 0w-30 - everything still works on mine and I havent had any huge failures or repair bills in my time.

The body work on mine from a few metres looks shown room but on close inspection it does have its imperfections - I always take it to the car parks and can comfortably reverse park between 2 cars - it does stick out a couple of feet though.

I think in the future I will naturally be opting for a 460 or 600h

I hear the 460 is even more refined and has a bit more floaty ride than the 430 - try both and see which strikes your fancy

hope this helps

• Like 1

point to note, they'll be a 460 up for sale from a forum member here, shortly.

it will need the air suspension fixing (or coilovers adding as required), but everything else has been restored to fantastic working condition and well documented on this forum,

• Like 1

I owned an LS400 for 15 years then went on to a 460, 5 years ago. I haven't owned a 430 so I can't give any comparisons.

The 400 was a great machine but I find the 460 better. It is more modern and has lots of extras - Malc will say that is just more to go wrong :smile:.

It has a timing chain and I have had no problems with the air suspension. The Mark Levinson music system is great and, though I live in Holland, BBC radio 5Live is my station of choice and the reception here is very good. I like the 6 cd set-up.

Like some of the others, I'm VERY choosy about where I park it and always check it before I leave a car park.

It is a very easy car to own - just like the 400 - and I have no wish to go back.

If you have any specific questions, just ask.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tulpen said:

Malc will say that is just more to go wrong :smile:

absolutely  ..........  hey, I saw on Sheppey today a Ls430 on a private plate R50DES, a black car, looked brilliant BUT the offside brake light wasn't functioning .........  does the Ls430 not show this up on the dash like the Ls400 does ?  ( 16 years is about the life of a " stop " bulb on a Ls400 so i won't say " told you so "  .  hahahahaha  :yahoo:)

Is the owner a LOC Member on here ?

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

absolutely  ..........  hey, I saw on Sheppey today a Ls430 on a private plate R50DES, a black car, looked brilliant BUT the offside brake light wasn't functioning .........  does the Ls430 not show this up on the dash like the Ls400 does ?  ( 16 years is about the life of a " stop " bulb on a Ls400 so i won't say " told you so "  .  hahahahaha  :yahoo:)

Is the owner a LOC Member on here ?

Malc

It does show on the dash if not working.

10 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Aaron 

Not a 460 but my 600hL..... doesnt fit in any car park space ,both cars backed against wall

IMG_3127.JPG

• Like 3

I had to do a 3 point turn going around the car park spiral at Gatwick once, the LS ALWAYS seems to need more parking space than you think.  Sensors really help though. Having said that, I always seem to manage to park in London when i take it there....Just!

I haven't had any trouble parking it, - supermarkets are easy as apple tart.  I do however try to avoid multi stories where possible, I've only visited a couple since owning a 430 and they were no trouble, but I can see that the smaller car parks definitely would be difficult!
Parking is very easy with the front and rear sensors and camera.
Bottom line is that I haven't found the size of the car to be problematic at all.  I've had no door dings either (touch wood) - so far!

That is very interesting, but I am a little old school and like to 'get the gunge to flow out of the bottom'. Although in practice it probably makes little difference. You still have to get to the oil filter. Why not make a slot for the sump nut, and a flap for the oil filter?

On 3/23/2017 at 9:13 PM, mr2lad said:

Not a 460 but my 600hL..... doesnt fit in any car park space ,both cars backed against wall

IMG_3127.JPG

This picture reminds me of a certain car park where i live, when i use to park my Passat the front end would be hanging out.  This was one of the reasons i wanted to ask about parking in multi-storey car parks, as the LS is a much bigger car.  Specially as the parking spot's seem to getting smaller all the time now, but the average car seem to be increasing in size. 

7 minutes ago, inflames said:

but the average car seem to be increasing in size. 

sat alongside a mini estate the other day .....  I and my Ls400 felt a little intimidated  ......  the mini " countryman "  ( is it ?  ) is HUGE  .  long, tall and anything but mini

Malc

On 23/03/2017 at 11:58 AM, lockeyboy said:

point to note, they'll be a 460 up for sale from a forum member here, shortly.

it will need the air suspension fixing (or coilovers adding as required), but everything else has been restored to fantastic working condition and well documented on this forum,

yes i remember the first time i saw one - does'nt look right - the size does not suit the car or the name!

1 hour ago, Malc said:

sat alongside a mini estate the other day .....  I and my Ls400 felt a little intimidated  ......  the mini " countryman "  ( is it ?  ) is HUGE  .  long, tall and anything but mini

Malc

Yep they are a odd looking mini. 

Has anyone seen the new Nissan Mica?  Only ask as i pass my local Nissan garage everyday and its no longer a small hatch back its more mark 1 focus sized now.

As an owner of an original Micra (1998) I agree. All small cars have grown.

If only makers had followed the Citroen AX/BX concept of making cars light-imagine the mpg!

Or Smart Forfour-plastic body.

My neighbour just bought a Merc E300 diesel hybrid. 2.1 litre car, does 7.5 secs to 60, is the size of an LS 400, but does 68mpg!

But is heavy and not THAT big internally.

It's all the padding-airbags, anti-crash stuff.

When I saw a Dyane zipping down the road this morning.......thin tin doors......

14 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

My neighbour just bought a Merc E300 diesel hybrid. 2.1 litre car, does 7.5 secs to 60, is the size of an LS 400, but does 68mpg!

,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you've got to spend £45k to get £10 road tax and 68mpg :wallbash:

eeerrrr  first year's depreciation say £20k then £8k a year thereafter .............  servicing about £1500 a year after the first year when the repair costs start kicking in just out of warranty  

''''''''  my Ls400 :wub:

Malc

• Like 2

Yes. Neighbour bought a 3 year old one for circa £16K!

Cheaper to buy a £1K car once a year?

Or an LS, of course.

pedant's (or pedants') corner.

Aaron; no ' in spots (not spot's)...though 'spots're' would have done!

On 27/03/2017 at 4:12 PM, Chris Skelton said:

As an owner of an original Micra (1998) I agree. All small cars have grown.

Chris 1998 wasnt the orginal micra, i shamelessly had one brand new in 1986 but as you can see by photo i crashed it, fell asleep on German autobahn and hit a lorry, woke up 2 wks later with numerous bits of my body stitched up and in plaster lol

IMG_1322.JPG