Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good morning all,

Well I've been a member since 07 I think and I originally had a IS Sportcross which I loved.  I always wanted an LS though and have been close to buying one on a few occasions and have made various posts on here.  Anyway my mind was set and I just wanted a 430.

So yesterday a put a deposit down on a 06 plate silver with black leather.  The car has had two owners and the dealer sold it to the second owner in 08 and has bought it back from them, which i think is good sign.  81,000 miles with full Lexus history from Edgware Road.  I rang the dealer went over the history and nothing unusual came to light, just it seems a well maintained car.  Also I checked the MOT history and noted it's never failed one and had few advisory's. 

I did pay top end at £6995, but it's the car i want in the colour I want.  Also a low mileage car.  Lastly I was pleased it was registered January 06 so have avoided the car tax hike to £515.

To say I'm excited is an understatement and I collect the car next Thursday.

Will post some pics next weekend.  I have always liked and enjoyed this forum and hope to be a more active member of it.

Oh and can I connect my phone to blue tooth (does it have blue tooth even?) or will i need a Parrot?

All the best for the day,

Nick in Sheffield

• Like 5

1 hour ago, nickd said:

Good morning all,

Well I've been a member since 07 I think and I originally had a IS Sportcross which I loved.  I always wanted an LS though and have been close to buying one on a few occasions and have made various posts on here.  Anyway my mind was set and I just wanted a 430.

So yesterday a put a deposit down on a 06 plate silver with black leather.  The car has had two owners and the dealer sold it to the second owner in 08 and has bought it back from them, which i think is good sign.  81,000 miles with full Lexus history from Edgware Road.  I rang the dealer went over the history and nothing unusual came to light, just it seems a well maintained car.  Also I checked the MOT history and noted it's never failed one and had few advisory's. 

I did pay top end at £6995, but it's the car i want in the colour I want.  Also a low mileage car.  Lastly I was pleased it was registered January 06 so have avoided the car tax hike to £515.

To say I'm excited is an understatement and I collect the car next Thursday.

Will post some pics next weekend.  I have always liked and enjoyed this forum and hope to be a more active member of it.

Oh and can I connect my phone to blue tooth (does it have blue tooth even?) or will i need a Parrot?

All the best for the day,

Nick in Sheffield

Congratulations Nick.What a lovely post to read first thing in the morning.Who said that Christmas only comes to children ?

Regards

John

Hi Nick, congratulations, looks like you have a real good un. The amount you have paid is immaterial, and after a couple of years you will consider it was a bargain. Mine a 2002 has just gone past 81k, and to say I don't look forward to driving in it is an understatement. Enjoy, you lucky boy, Rgds , Roger

Hello Nick, had a similar experience 18 months ago when I bought an '04 with 82,000 miles from Lexus Hull for £7,000 with full Lexus service history and it has been a total delight to own. The agency had even bought it back from the previous owner as in your case.

I have bought 3 old second hand Lexus cars from main agents and do not begrudge them their premium on the price. In fact I would not buy from any other trade source.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

Unfortunately not direct from Lexus but a company called Rykar in London.  However it seems to all add up.  I have sent a comprehensive email asking what to check before I get there and what I will be checking.  Your's was a great price from Lexus, I note there's one 430 with Lexus at the mo.  06 with 70k i think and they want 11K!  This dealer has been very helpful, polite and did me a good price.  I wish i didn't get excited by cars......

• Like 1

Nick, our excitement tends to work against us as customers when checking out a purchase because we do not really want to find faults.

Have you thought of having a RAC inspection carried out on the car? I did this many years ago and yes it was expensive but the thoroughness impressed me and it was well worthwhile. With just a few days notice they will visit a garage or private seller and I know of instances where the cost has been recovered by negotiating remedial work. You are also often armed with useful information about the car going forward.

If nothing else check the body along the 'chrome' door strips for rust bubbles [you may have to look very closely to see these] and do a bounce test of the suspension on all four corners with the engine running. Also that the ride height cycles as it should [very slowly] according to the button on the dash.

Plenty of other lesser checks needed on this complex car and they can be found on this site and its sister site in the USA.

No I do not want to ***** on your parade for if you can find a good LS430 it will be real pleasure to own.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

That does sound like a good idea, but to be honest I won't do it.  On a car as complex as this I'm sure it's a wise investment indeed.  I have though sent a nerdy bullet point email to the dealer and asked they check certain things I'm concerned about and that I will then check them myself when I'm there. In particular I will be checking the air suspension rises correctly and I will do the bounce test.

No not rained on my parade, just wise words from someone who knows a lot more about the cars than I do!

4 hours ago, Chris Skelton said:

Ex-Avantime owner! Just what was THAT like?

we need a distraction here!

Always loved the concept-just not the bad reviews.

The Avantime, I still have it.  Well it's a wacky old thing and my kids adore it.  Surprisingly practical, great looking (well to me) and it's been very reliable.  However I think also having the MX5 it has to go.  I bet it doesn't weigh much less than an LS and overtime will get harder to look after as I believe after Matra went bust, the plastic panels stopped being available.  So i think a light prang can write them off.  With the roof open and the pillar less windows down though it's one cool car.  Took down to far west Cornwall many a time where it would draw many a glance.  Why Honest John only gave it one star I don't know as on that occasion he is wrong.  The driving experience can get quite addictive, very light and you think about corners.

It was ahead of its time, I think if a similar car was built now it would do well.

Add me to the Avantime fan list.....but then, I'm a lifetime Citroen addict as well, so used to advanced/off-the-wall stuff!

If I wasn't giving up on big cars, I might be tempted.....(XM is going soon)

As to AA/RAC checks. I sold a CX Turbo to a guy who sent the AA; they even jacked the car up (high!!) and crawled about underneath for ages!

VERY thorough.

Yes, looking forward to it!  Did you have any issues that needed rectifying?  Wanted black leather as one, I like it and two I have a 5 and 7 year old.  God, can they make a mes.

No major issues to deal with so far. Had a cap missing on one of my door handles, but thanks to the wonders of LOC I should have a replacement arriving soon - thanks @NiceNige! To me it drives like new. I had an LS400 for quite a while and it's a match for that in comfort, and I think betters it in interior design and materials. The exterior also holds up really well and paintwork still has a depth to it that belies its age. My thread from when I picked it up can be found here 

There are the usual things that get flagged to watch out for with this model such as air suspension, but I'm personally not going to dwell too much on that. I enjoy stepping into it every day and I'm sure you will too. 

Up early as collecting LS from London today.  Going via Chippenham (from Sheffield) as my business partner is also collecting his new car, an Audi Q5.  Then back up to Whitby for the night!

Excited and apprehensive.

3 hours ago, nickd said:

Up early as collecting LS from London today.  Going via Chippenham (from Sheffield) as my business partner is also collecting his new car, an Audi Q5.  Then back up to Whitby for the night!

Excited and apprehensive.

We will of course be expecting a full report, followed by many photos!  I often take my LS when we go to London, it's the most comfortable place to sit while you wait for the traffic to clear, which seems to be caused mostly by buses!