Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, 

So the other day my grandad picked up a new VW Polo (will post some pics when I find them). I sat for hours with my Iphone connected via a 3.5mm cable playing all my favourite songs....it was magnificent. I thought to myself, wouldn't it sound even better on the ML system in our LS430:yes:Does anyone know if it would be possible to achieve this without the loss of the CD changer. My mother uses only CDs and sometimes radio. So therefore it would have to be changeable between the AUX and the other original features. Has anyone successfully installed something like this, or is it a bad idea to play around with the audio equipment in the Lexus which continues to stand the test of time?

Thanks in advance for your input/advice everyone...

Alex 

7 minutes ago, MLW said:

I would love to turn my £1,800 (or so they say) Mark Levingston Hi-Fi into a £70 Amazon JVC player that could do it all. Someone please help us!

Me thinks that Lexus presumed that all LS430 drivers would not be of the smartphone wielding non classical music loving kind:biggrin:

My mom doesn't have to worry about all this, all her favourite music is on Classic FM or on CD. Unfortunately my tastes are a bit more.........how shall I put it................upbeat

I'm with your mum, but what I want is a radio that locks on to all the stations, and a usb slot to play downloaded radio/music programmes.

Just now, MLW said:

I'm with your mum, but what I want is a radio that locks on to all the stations, and a usb slot to play downloaded radio/music programmes.

Let's hope someone on here will be able to bring that to pass, Michael. 

Alex 

On 26/03/2017 at 3:21 AM, piasek said:

You can use adapter that will allow you to connect the phone via jack or bluetooth. Check devices like Vaistech (expensive but very popular in USA), Grom audio or Xcarlink. They all working similiar way. You will have to connect Y harness to the cd player. If you press cd player once it will play cd if you press it again it will play music through adapter.

Thanks for the reply Adam.

Sounds good, will look it up. After I plug it in, where would the cable go? I guess that I would need to find a way for it to go out of the cd changer.

Alex 

I have fitted an xcarlink to my LS430, as a result of an article way back on here. It is brilliant and play my Iphone through it. Do not now use the CD player because all my cd's are on my Iphone. Have to say that the sound really is fantastic. It also enables me to Bluetooth my phone so it is now hands free . I am not technically confident, and it does mean removing the fascia to take the radio out. However there are numerous videos on you tube , and very straightforward. If I can do it, anyone can! I am taking the car to Spain in May so will really benefit , enjoying my music in luxury.  Rgds, Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

I have fitted an xcarlink to my LS430, as a result of an article way back on here. It is brilliant and play my iPhone through it. Do not now use the CD player because all my cd's are on my iPhone. Have to say that the sound really is fantastic. It also enables me to Bluetooth my phone so it is now hands free . I am not technically confident, and it does mean removing the fascia to take the radio out. However there are numerous videos on you tube , and very straightforward. If I can do it, anyone can! I am taking the car to Spain in May so will really benefit , enjoying my music in luxury.  Rgds, Roger

That sounds brilliant, Roger.

I have taken out the CD changer once or twice before in our other 430 due to it malfunctioning, so I think that I would manage. 

Out of interest, can you also still use the CD changer or not? As my mum uses CDs so anything that I install would have to still retain all the original features of the ML system. 

Enjoy Spain! Wafting along in the sun listening to your favourite tracks in the best car ever made.......I'm jealous:biggrin:

Cheers,

Alex 

That is brill Roger. Ticks all the boxes because my mom would be able to go on listening to CD and FM. I must try and find the post on here that details the install so that I can consider it. 

How much did it retail at when you got it and do you remember from where? 

Really does sound like an impressive set up you've got there. 

The LS trunk is rather roomy, do u have any space left over in there for May, I am low maintenance and I'll even change the tracks!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks so much for all the advice,

Alex 

Hi Alex if my memory serves me well it was about £130. If you google xcarlink it all comes up and you put in your model.

It is ironic that I thought my sound system was fantastic, but on doing this for you , just found out my rear main bass speaker is not working at all. Have sourced a replacement so can't wait to hear what it will be like with bass 😂😂😂😂

Hope you get sorted, Rgds, Roger

7 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Alex if my memory serves me well it was about £130. If you google xcarlink it all comes up and you put in your model.

It is ironic that I thought my sound system was fantastic, but on doing this for you , just found out my rear main bass speaker is not working at all. Have sourced a replacement so can't wait to hear what it will be like with bass 😂😂😂😂

Hope you get sorted, Rgds, Roger

Gosh, expensive but sounds worth it. I shall look into it. I seem to have a habit of blowing speakers, had to replace multiple ones in the LS. Looks like I have a special effect even on ones out of my reach:biggrin:. Oh well, the good thing is that your sound will be even better now. All well that ends well. 

Thanks for the reply,

Alex 

Are you sure your speakers were blown, and didn't just need rubber glueing around the cone?  I did my subwoofer, - but I think the speakers in the door cards need the same treatment now.... - sure there's a tutorial for that around here somewhere..

Hi Phil, the answer is , I don't know. There is no sound at all coming out. There are tutorials around , the conclusion being it can be a very messy job to undertake , so have arranged for somebody else to investigate . Will let you know the outcome, but away in Spain from Wed, so will do it when back. Thanks for your interest , Rgds, Roger 

In the past when my speakers have gone, it has only been the cone. The sound still comes from the speaker but it makes a noise so irritating that it is enough to make you go absolutely nuts. If you hear nothing at all from your speaker, I imagine it is blown, or something worse than just a damaged cone. I am no expert at all so do not take my word for it, Roger.

I really hope that it did not occur when you went to test the CD on my account:unsure:

Hi Phil , no not at all, I still can't understand how I did not know. When I bought the car the previous owner , a mature gentleman , had installed a boom box in the boot. Apart from the fact that it took up boot space , my eardrums nearly blew, so I had it removed and I think that was the cause . Anyway have a new one ordered and being fitted 10 th April. So thanks for your concern and I'll let you know the difference, Rgds, Roger 

1 minute ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Phil , no not at all, I still can't understand how I did not know. When I bought the car the previous owner , a mature gentleman , had installed a boom box in the boot. Apart from the fact that it took up boot space , my eardrums nearly blew, so I had it removed and I think that was the cause . Anyway have a new one ordered and being fitted 10 th April. So thanks for your concern and I'll let you know the difference, Rgds, Roger 

"mature gentleman had installed a boom box in the boot" :biggrin::biggrin::laugh::laugh:

A couple of months back, whilst on the M40 I saw an elderly gentleman and his wife in one of those things which I guess is called a 'chav car' complete with all the mods that you could imagine. Looked a bit like this(image courtesy of Google) 

chav2.jpg

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 26 March 2017 at 10:35 AM, RgrWynne said:

I have fitted an xcarlink to my LS430, as a result of an article way back on here. It is brilliant and play my iPhone through it. Do not now use the CD player because all my cd's are on my iPhone. Have to say that the sound really is fantastic. It also enables me to Bluetooth my phone so it is now hands free . I am not technically confident, and it does mean removing the fascia to take the radio out. However there are numerous videos on you tube , and very straightforward. If I can do it, anyone can! I am taking the car to Spain in May so will really benefit , enjoying my music in luxury.  Rgds, Roger

Hi Roger,

I know that it has been a while since this post, but I finally decided to purchase the xcarlink on eBay for 201-2005 LS430. After communicating with the seller and sending pics of the cd changer and connections at the back of the changer, they replied adamantly that the product is not at all compatible with the ls430 changer and they can not help me any further :sad: If yours was compatible, are they incorrect? 

Hi Alexander fitted mine no problems and it continues to work fine. At the time I recall ordering , the model year and type was listed and I just went ahead and ordered it. Sorry I can’t be more help,

rgds,

Roger

3 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Alexander fitted mine no problems and it continues to work fine. At the time I recall ordering , the model year and type was listed and I just went ahead and ordered it. Sorry I can’t be more help,

rgds,

Roger

Thanks Roger, you have already been a lot of help. Does your one look like this? How did you need to fit it and what did the Bluetooth module look like and how did you fit that extra? (The one I want to get says that the Bluetooth module is an add on). Thanks for helping, sorry about asking so many q's 

Alex 

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 18.38.34.png

Hi Alex, as far as I can recall, mine looked very similar. The Bluetooth was integrated as far as I am aware, and not being technical, I just pair it to my Iphone, and it works.

i have searched my eBay account, which is how I guess I found it but can’t locate purchase. Good luck, Rgds, Roger

12 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Alex, as far as I can recall, mine looked very similar. The Bluetooth was integrated as far as I am aware, and not being technical, I just pair it to my iPhone, and it works.

i have searched my eBay account, which is how I guess I found it but can’t locate purchase. Good luck, Rgds, Roger

okay Roger, thanks. Perhaps i'll risk and buy it, though I am still waiting for a reply from them about some more details.

Alex