Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just got my first smartphone ( iPhone SE ) and wondering if I can play the music Play Lists I have on the Iphone through the speakers on the car? My 2007 GS300 handbook doesn't reference this at all as far as I can see. I've seen some adaptors which are slotted into the cassette player which apparently facilitate this. Has anyone got any experience of using such a device?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ALQ5Q6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AR1G4ZXDBWAI7

You can do this Jeff, or buy a radio sender, plugs into phone (or can Bluetooth ones) that play your songs on a specific radio wavelength, you then tune radio to that frequency and hear your tunes.

Some sound clarity may be lost though, through either method.

Do they make an ipod adaptor for the car? I have a 56 plate gs that has a specific ipod connector in glove box, so I plug into that and have control over ipod via screen and steering wheel, charges it, show track name etc, all via the cd changer mode. Have a lexus branded manual for it, but don't know if it was a factory fit or option, or upgrade later etc.

I have tried a cassette adapter in my GS450H, and although it does work the sound quality is at best mediocre. The base comes out muffled, and the channel seperation is poor. At first I thought it was a bad adapter, but after trying 3 different manufacturers devices I realised this is not the way to go.

John 

44 minutes ago, IanA2 said:

Interesting. Mine works fine and makes a pretty good sound.

I am not saying that music is not listenable to with a cassette adapter, but compared with say a CD with the same piece of music the sound quality is poor.

As an electronics engineer I can understand why.

The electric current (the sound) is fed into a tape head with 2 channels in the adapter this turns the current into magnetic waves picked up by the tape head in the player. Unless these heads are very accurately aligned, and touching each other the magnetism for want of a better description leaks across to the other channel. In normal use this magnetism is embedded in the tape that rubs across the tape head, and is of a much weaker level. Base signals are of a much higher electrical energy than higher frequency sounds leading to magnetic saturation of the tape heads.

John

I assume the fm transmitters will avoid such issues, but will still only be as good as fm radio signal can be. 

They are cheap, wireless and useful elsewhere, ie shed or garage etc where you have a radio, can then tune into your ipod station. I've used some previously, but so long ago I can't recall if they were decent, although I certainly don't remember then being duff, after all, most of us do listen to radio without it sounding too bad.

On 26/03/2017 at 2:02 PM, Britprius said:

I am not saying that music is not listenable to with a cassette adapter, but compared with say a CD with the same piece of music the sound quality is poor.

As an electronics engineer I can understand why.

The electric current (the sound) is fed into a tape head with 2 channels in the adapter this turns the current into magnetic waves picked up by the tape head in the player. Unless these heads are very accurately aligned, and touching each other the magnetism for want of a better description leaks across to the other channel. In normal use this magnetism is embedded in the tape that rubs across the tape head, and is of a much weaker level. Base signals are of a much higher electrical energy than higher frequency sounds leading to magnetic saturation of the tape heads.

John

Interesting points so I thought I would try out the difference in the car today. Listened to the same track on CD and tape adaptor (iPhone6S, 320kbps download), set the treble, mid and bass to same settings for both. Flicked between the two several times to get a feel for the difference. The CD is better but not starkly so, and the tape is perfectly acceptable for driving. There may well be differences between adaptors. Mine is a Philips and cost less than £10, feels like a bargain.

Glad you found a convenient and acceptable solution msdsx, and always better when doesn't cost a bomb.

As this threads happens to be on iTunes and music in car, anyone know the best way to store music on ipod so it shows artist and album info? Mine as it stands says I have 2 disks to choose from, and only shows track title, nothing about artist or album etc. I'm after know who as well as what.

Also, I'm looking to buy a bigger ipod for her, but anyone meow if an ipod touch will work? They going cheaper than ipod classics but not sure if it'll work ok? Have read the ipod manual that came with car, and it's the worst manual I've ever seen. Real hard work and I can't see anything about these 2 points.

Thanks

Whilst I cannot answer any of the above, I guess it is worth checking which iPod touch you are buying. My 4th Gen iPod Touch had the old style apple connector that was probably fitted with your iPod kit. By the time they get to iPod 5th Gen it is the new "lightning" connector, which I guess will not fit what you have.

8 hours ago, Mike Hartland said:

Whilst I cannot answer any of the above, I guess it is worth checking which iPod touch you are buying. My 4th Gen iPod Touch had the old style Apple connector that was probably fitted with your iPod kit. By the time they get to iPod 5th Gen it is the new "lightning" connector, which I guess will not fit what you have.

Thanks mike, and agreed, needs to be the old 40pin. Just not sure if an early touch will work, or if needs to be a classic. 

Well, for anyone interested in the future, having just bought a cheap ipod touch (4th gen or less I believe have the 40pin connector, above 4th gen will not fit as have lightening ports), I've loaded it with music and just waiting for wife to come home to try it. Will update once I know.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know how to get artist and album to display via the factory iPod connector?

Currently I have disk 1, tracks 1 through to 99, that then just starts a new track1 through to 99 and goes and goes round and round 99 tracks at a time.

The only tag I get is the track name, and these are in alphabetical order, I.e a,a,a,a,b,b,b etc. Can play on random of course, but i want to be able to choose an album or an artist, and cant. Cant even see the details for the song that is on.

Anyone any ideas?