Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone, My name is Daniel and I'm from Montenegro.

I'm looking to buy Lexus gs300 3rd generation but I can't find useful information about it in my country so guys if you can help me. I want to ask owners of this car to tell me is it really reliable as I heard and are there any big problems with this car. And if you can tell me average fuel consumption because I've read on this forum some really good figures and it's hard to believe that petrol engine with so much power can be economical. I've previously had bmw 530d and 320d and always drove diesels but this newer ones I don't like because of DPF filters and other expensive parts. I'm moving to Spain and I need to buy a car and has to be big car. I found two that I like one has 159000km on clock and other 205000km but both have 1 year guarantee.

Thank you in advance 

Best Regards

I have a big mile gs300, I would say the history is the key, they are very well made but lack of care will soon reduce it's life. Two and a half days and I'm in love with mine, couldn't recommend enough, averaging about 34 mpg but I've not had a heavy foot. Don't think it'll match those diesels you've had before for economy, but you'll save in long term from not having to buy DPFs, DMFs, turbos and other expensive bits.

can only list what I've researched as 'common problems'.

shock absorbers

seized calipers

rusty exhausts

TPMS sensors

Thats about all I've found out.

• Like 1

Check the inner sections of the exhaust back boxes (next to the heat shields) as these tend to rust through. Not a cheap part to replace, I just had mine done and even finding a "bargain" oem part it still cost nearly £500 inc fitting.

Leading front edge of the bonnet can suffer corrosion, some people have had this replaced under the 12 year bodywork warranty, other haven't been so lucky.

I would suggest looking at something with a good history and check the cambelt has been replaced as this is another expence.

Best of luck in your search.

• 2 months later...

Still not found one in good shape :sad: now I'm also looking for gs450h and I would like to ask is gs300 oil consumption problem was related only to US market or also for Europe because  I found many posts related to US market. Which is better to buy gs300 or gs450h which is more expensive to buy and batteries is surely very expensive to repair? Thanks for help

Best Regards

Daniel

1 hour ago, danielgs said:

Still not found one in good shape :sad: now I'm also looking for gs450h and I would like to ask is gs300 oil consumption problem was related only to US market or also for Europe because  I found many posts related to US market. Which is better to buy gs300 or gs450h which is more expensive to buy and batteries is surely very expensive to repair? Thanks for help

Best Regards

Daniel

Have a look at this Daniel

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/lexus/gs300-1998/

Regards

John

I own GS450h SE, 2006 model, 109 000 miles. This is my 7th Lexus and they have all been reliable and pleasure to drive. 

MK3 GS300 is an amazing car. If you can find one SE-L specs, Lexus service history and reasonable mileage then it only has one big problem: V8 powered GS430/460 :) The latter has almost identical fuel consumption, but much better performance. 

450h should not be overlooked too, but again i would only recommend buying full dealer history clean example from 2008+. Do not go for the cheapest. There are many bits in the 450h drive train that are quite expensive to fix especially if you are not very good with electrics/diy. 

Remember MK3 GS is getting old now, but if your budget is limited to this then it's probably the best used car you can get. 

Take it for a long test drive at least 30 minutes and check everything: gearbox, engine, power steering, suspension, brakes, air conditioning, sat nav etc. Common problem on MK3 GS is squeaky noises coming from dashboard/glovebox area. Very annoying problem and in most cases time consuming to sort out.  

Good luck hunting :) 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, I've already read those articles on honestjohn I just want to know if anyone had a problem with carbon build up here or it's an issue only in US because of fuel quality because I will most likely go for GS300 because of high price of GS450h and high mileage and with that price I can buy GS300 with far less km on it but I don't want to pay almost 10000euros for car and then pay mechanic almost the same amount :ohmy:

carbon build up on the back of the inlet valves seems to be an inherent problem with DI engines , just google for it, much the same as DPF is a problem for most diesel engines. making them cleaner and leaner has brought up new problems that now have to be lived with until manufacturers get their heads out of the sand and do something. some of the Toyota and Lexus engines use a combined injection system where as well as the Direct Injection another injector is fitted working in the conventional way by spraying fuel into the inlet tract which i imagine keeps the rear of the valves clean.  the designation for the combined system is D4-S.

a link to the wiki page that shows which engines used it and which vehicles they are fitted in.  the GS300 does not have it, so any increase in oil use or rough running could be a sign the vehicle could be affected. check the American site for "carbon build up"  as i believe they show the fault codes that can show up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

I found one with around 200000km on the clock looks very good and it's close to me but it's 2005 and have 1 year warranty the price is 9000euros what do you think? What are the symptoms of carbon build-up( besides rough idle) that I can see on first look? Thanks agaon everyone for help I really like the car but the fear is also high if something big goes wrong

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone AGAIN :) This guy is asking too much money because he wants my car which is alfa 156 2005 and 7000euros for this gs300 which also 2005 and thats too much. Now I'm also thinking about is250 is there any difference between these 2 cars in consumption especially in town and I hear that IS has little rear legroom and I'm very tall and I don't need a car that no one can sit behind me. Regards