Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LPG Convert & Channel Tunnel Crossing???

Does anyone know if an LPG conversion is allowed to use the tunnel these days, I ask because when I had a conversion done some folks said that an LPG conversion was not allowed through the tunnel but a manufacturers LPG was. I just checked the fares etc & there was no mention I found that said anything of the sort, so, anyone know? thanks

As far as I'm aware, no you can't use the tunnel. It's never made sense to me because they allow camper vans and mobile homes that have gas bottles in them for cooking/heating but not LPG cars.

EDIT: Here you go:

lpg.jpg

Complete nonsense as to why they wont allow LPG cars on board. I did try and find out via telephone and email once and should have phoned and emailed my two dogs one if which is completely deaf and blind as I would have got more sense out of them.

Yes the conversion is registered but when I last went through the tunnel (both ways) in 2003 they did not check when on the train but I cannot remember if they had the number at the point of the ticket purchase or not

My info is old, but the last time we went via Calais, there were a lot of migrants along the road paying attention to every vehicle going past. We didn't expect them to try to jump in of course, but wondered if there might be hassles/delays caused by incidents with trucks/etc.

So for the next trip, we went via Dieppe - totally clear of any signs of trouble, fuss-free and a bit "quaint" as both ports are a bit old-fashioned. :)

Here we go boys a full and frank answer from Le Tunnel.

Thank you for your email, we hope that the answer below will be helpful.

We do not accept any vehicles that are fitted with LPG or dual fuel tanks and there are no plans in the near future to change this policy.
This decision is made because of the different points of origin of LPG vehicles (northern / southern countries have differences in the standards applied to LPG cars, hence different level of safety offered by these cars); some LPG tanks are fitted at a later stage, either by a garage or by individuals, hence the impossibility to ensure that all systems are fitted to a proper standard. The last point is that the tunnel is a more confined space than the open air and specific conditions are hence obviously applicable, in the same way as is underground parking areas where LPG cars are usually not allowed.
The main difference between LPG cylinders and LPG propulsion tanks is that cylinders can be turned off and isolated whilst tanks cannot. In addition, whilst turning off the cylinders, our staff has an opportunity to check the type of cylinder and ensure it is a proper cylinder straight from the manufacture. This is not the case with propulsion systems, as we cannot open the bonnets and easily check on the standard of manufacturing of an LPG tank. We base our conclusions on the advice of expert well recognised companies. We put the safety of our customers first, and any area where an appropriate level of safety cannot be guaranteed is covered by restrictions in our safety policy.

All companies have safety policies, and this is ours. We are a responsible Company taking responsible measures to ensure the safety of our customers. As a conclusion, when any decision has been reached about a change to the LPG policy, it will be made public, and customers will thus be informed.

Campervans and other recreational vehicles which have LPG containers (as opposed to gas bottles) to power domestic services e.g. heating and refrigeration are accepted on the condition that the tanks are no more than 80% full and will be subject to inspection.
Gas cylinders for cooking purposes may be carried as long as the bottle is no larger than 50kg, max. cylinder size 47kg.

Kind regards

Sales Support Team
Eurotunnel Le Shuttle

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links