Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Project isF

It's a few years old but in depth and interesting, one aspect of the build is the fit meant of the K&N typhoon, claimed 30 hp increase ?

@Warrington guy I now has this fitted care to comment mate, what's your thoughts on that figure or am I reading it wrong it's a lengthy article.

Big Rat

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1827/Project-Lexus-IS-F-Part-1-We-Test-the-KN-Typhoon-High-Flow-Air-Intake.aspx

Hi big rat . I'm not sure if there are any gains in bhp. I would possibly give it a dyno . They reckon it performs better with a cat back . I added mine just for the sound . And it seems to work well with the exhaust. 

• Like 2

Lots and lots of tests on air intakes and a particularly detailed one on the US forums. Its concluded that pretty much anything other than stock or RR racing will lose you horsepower to the tune of 10-20hp based on dyno runs. Question is, would you feel 10-20hp loss, probably not and in return you get the lovely Induction sound from the K&N, Takeda etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Hi big rat . I'm not sure if there are any gains in bhp. I would possibly give it a dyno . They reckon it performs better with a cat back . I added mine just for the sound . And it seems to work well with the exhaust. 

Your setup certainly works well, fantastic sound. 👍 

• Like 2

Yep, although with exhaust prices from £500 + to give that better V8 sound, it can be achieved. Lexus are the King's of understated and conservative motors but why on earth was it not stock...nuts 😕 

• Like 2

Was thinking just the other day, if the roar from the second intake kicked in slightly earlier, you would get some of the thrill in city driving 30/40mph and increase the fun whilst day to day driving, rather than having to wait for a national speed limit road. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Warrington guy said:

@Warrington guy I knew you were the one to ask, seems a bit optimistic 😂

Bug Rat

I've heard that kit suffers heat soak a wee bit as it sucks air from engine compartment.

If you could make up your own box for it to sit in and run a pipe to it from the inner wing then it would give a bit of power increase as it sucks on cooler air.

A plan of mine in the future.

3 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

No reports of heat stroke here . It's very common in the USA . That's down to being a lot hotter than uk 

True, I keep forgetting all the info I get is from the American site.

14 hours ago, Warrington guy said:

Emjay every other V8 sounds amazing. It's the only thing that lets the isf down . There so quiet for a V8 

6 hours ago, Big Rat said:

Well guys @emjay82 @Warrington guy In the broader scheme of things if that's the only two areas of let down and they are both relatively easy and inexpensive to sort, not that bad is it 😂

Big Rat

Absolutely 🐀, the lack of noise doesn't bother me 85% of the time and actually suits my needs for work/weekday use, but would've been nice for the weekends and summer evenings. Would fall in love with the car all over again (if needed) with the exhaust change me thinks 😉 

Just now, Warrington guy said:

Giblet from the forum installed a switchable value system. You have the best of both . Might be worth looking into 

Yes that would be perfect but invalidates warranty. 😔 

Any you guys done the air intake breather hose detachment thingy mod?

Let's the intake roar from about 2500rpm.

Gets heads turning at less than 30mph.

The look on there faces,

What the f_ _k is that?

Can't wait to do headers and exhaust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark6pot said:

Any you guys done the air intake breather hose detachment thingy mod?

Let's the intake roar from about 2500rpm.

Gets heads turning at less than 30mph.

The look on there faces,

What the f_ _k is that?

Can't wait to do headers and exhaust.

Would love to see a video (or in the flesh) of a car that's done this....

3 minutes ago, Mark6pot said:

It's no where near as loud as a exhaust job but from drivers seat it sounds good. I'll try to get some sound later when home from work.

@Mark6pot look forward to that and if successful, you will be known henceforth as 8pot 😏

🐀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark6pot said:

Mark6pot is from the days I had my Lexus is200 sportcross. Straight 6 engine.

@Mark6pot Ah the classic cylinder layout, got to be one of my favourites, had an M3 CSL with a straight 6 got to be one of the most charismatic engines of all time 🤓

🐀

11 minutes ago, Ray-ISF said:

Why does it invalidate your warranty?

@Ray-ISF Dunno it's a Lexus thing wrote to them when I first got the isF with a list of poss things to do, straight forward rear boxes swap ok, a valved system no.

🐀