Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering pump recon/rebuild?

I'm looking at getting the pump reconditioned or doing a rebuild. I'd probably prefer someone else doing it as I don't want to be without the car for long has anyone got any recommendations for firms that you've dealt with? I've seen a couple of companies on the net but would be going in blind using them. I'm a bit dubious as I see an awful lot of incompetence about. I for instance sent my calipers off last year to a certain company (that are large in the red) and they came back and all was ok until I went to fit the rears and tried wiping off what I thought was some grease and to my amazement found it was a hole in the caliper pin housing that had obviously been shot blasted into them. I looked at the other side and exactly the same thing, some quality control that company has, it's obviously a production line with cheap labour. I also had to reseat a couple of rubber seals so you can understand my reluctance to send off my pump! The pump is not leaking but it had been with the previous owner and it was 'fixed' with steering magic fluid and I think the magic may well wear off soon, that was four years ago and I'd rather just get it done properly for my peace of mind and maybe the health of the alternator! I could of course buy a second hand one and rebuild at my leisure but can't find one one at this present time. I can ship in from Rockauto a rebuilt Ac/delco one for just over £200 but that's just a bit pricey when a kit is £20 wondering whether it's worth replacing high and low pressure pipes at the same time? Thanking you all in advance as I know I'll get some good advice!

I think you're right Phil I know if I rang my ex mechanic friend he'd tell me the same thing! I do have some noise coming from around the pulley and I know all the other pulleys were changed 4 years ago when the cam belt was done, mind you that's when the previous owner said he first heard the noise so if it's gone this long like it...... I shall get out of my preventative maintenance mode now and relax!

These engines are usually so quiet you hear any little extras mind the engine on this isn't as quiet as my Soarer you could stand by it and you wouldn't know if it was running!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links