Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all. I'm very happy with my ls400 but it's not perfect. One of the main issues is that it's had a new screen at some point and it was fitting by an ape. It's got a bodged top seal and is missing the chrome strip. It's also got some sort of sealant at the corners where the rubber seal is missing! It doesn't leak at the moment but it looks rubbish and makes a lot of wind noise at motor way speeds. I feel it rather let's the car down.  I'm not sure what they are supposed to have and am struggling to find pictures online. 

Any advice on where to get genuine seals and what's missing would be good. I had a quote of £185 to refit the screen plus parts. 

Thanks in advance. Matt 

20170327_122723.jpg

20170327_122712.jpg

20170327_122704.jpg

that looks awful   ............. I know the side strips cost a fortune from lexus and if the guy is quoting £185 incl the strips then that's a good deal.  I think lexus quoted that sort of price for just the side strips:wallbash:

Malc

10 minutes ago, Malc said:

that looks awful   ............. I know the side strips cost a fortune from lexus and if the guy is quoting £185 incl the strips then that's a good deal.  I think lexus quoted that sort of price for just the side strips:wallbash:

Malc

Hi malc. Yes it looks dreadful!  No that was just the price to remove and refit. Excluding any seals needed. Are the side strips rubber that goes in the channels at the side or the metal channels themselves? 

14 minutes ago, Malc said:

Malc

Are these supposed to be empty?

1490615241362939161723.jpg

I had mine fitted by AA Windscreens who used to be one of the big firms the AA took over and 10 months later I had to call them back as I had a leak in the top of the screen, during that time they had been taken over again and didn't want to know the bodges of the previous lot but after gently talking to them and letting them know I wasn't going to give up she eventually admitted they had to do the work, two guys came out to fix it. They said they were snowed under with recall work from the old company. Job done no leaks happy owner.

• Like 1

Matthew

If your side mouldings are required the following costs apply

Moulding; windshield outer upper part no 75531 $55.76 which should include the corner seals that are at the moment a glob of gunge on your car.

Moulding outside right ;Part no 75533      $137.90

Moulding outside left   :Part no 75534      $137.90

These are prices quoted by Rockauto in the States you will need to add afurther 20% to these costs for import,tax and shipping.

You may get the bits from a  Breaker but the seals are usually ripped out and damaged and you are unlikely to be able to get them in a reasonable condition.

If you go to Lexus they will identify the parts and have them fitted but I fear you will be in the same ball park cost as getting them from the States and even then you will need them fitting.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Matthew

If your side mouldings are required the following costs apply

Moulding; windshield outer upper part no 75531 $55.76 which should include the corner seals that are at the moment a glob of gunge on your car.

Moulding outside right ;Part no 75533      $137.90

Moulding outside left   :Part no 75534      $137.90

These are prices quoted by Rockauto in the States you will need to add afurther 20% to these costs for import,tax and shipping.

You may get the bits from a  Breaker but the seals are usually ripped out and damaged and you are unlikely to be able to get them in a reasonable condition.

If you go to Lexus they will identify the parts and have them fitted but I fear you will be in the same ball park cost as getting them from the States and even then you will need them fitting.

Thanks ambermarine that's really great info. Not a cheap job then! 

So a trip to lexis may be on the table then. 

OK. So thanks to a helpful and pleasent meeting with lockeyboy I know I only need the top seal replacement and chrome strip as the sides are fine. 

Great to meet a fellow enthusiastic owner of these fantastic cars! 

the costs are absolutely criminal coz the strips are about twopenneth worth of metal !

Those prices look about right from what I was quoted. The new windscreen I had fortunately the strips could be re-used ok, the insurers were very unhappy should they have been called upon to pay for the trims too......  they actually told me to make sure the fitters took huge care to leave the existing in re-usable condition.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

i think I'd have passed on buying that car with a bird turd to hold the windscreen in.  Brave man

Its a really nice clean car Stuart.  To be fair, it's just the seal, no rust at all.

add that to the power of the minds on the forum, almost anything is possible!

• Like 1

Yes - you never can tell.

My own purchase looked spankingly brilliant but I've spent best part of £2,000 on it to get it to the state I want it. Would be more but my mehanic still hasn't billed me for work in 2014.  Gave him £500 on account last year as felt so guilty, and chatting with him on Mothers day when buying a card he didn't mention another bill is on its way, but could be another £500 I owe him.

I'm forgetting what he did it was so long ago.  Brake pipes certainly.. 

• Like 2

There's always something. More than any other model of cars I bought over the years the LS400s I've looked all have had something reasonably significant wrong with them (usually multiple suspension issues.) I'm hunting around for a burgundy rear passenger door to replace the awful one on mine which is bothering me more and more; such a bad repair letting the car down. Fortunately, the mechanicals are great and no suspension issues. Guess I'll be paying for my panel man's Christmas. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Newbie1 said:

There's always something. More than any other model of cars I bought over the years the LS400s I've looked all have had something reasonably significant wrong with them (usually multiple suspension issues.) I'm hunting around for a burgundy rear passenger door to replace the awful one on mine which is bothering me more and more; such a bad repair letting the car down. Fortunately, the mechanicals are great and no suspension issues. Guess I'll be paying for my panel man's Christmas. 

I agree. I saw quite a few before I bought this one and most needed major body work or cambelt or suspension work. Mine was tidy bodywork and interior. No mechanical issues, cambelt done 10k miles ago and low miles. The screen doesn't leak so I thought it's something to sort but not a deal breaker for me. 

At the end if the day its 19 years old so I'm not expecting perfection. I'm working on that though :wink3:

• 3 weeks later...

Be wary of an ill fitting screen!

There is a large multi-plug behind the centre console, and water can get in there. I suffered from strange intermittent faults a few years ago. I drove back from Scotland with the last 100 miles in bad rain. Imagine my surprise when I came down in the morning to see the wipers going, even though the keys were in my pocket.

Cost £700 to figure out the fault, plus a new screen. The local auto glass fitter was great (I watched him fit it). He pointed out 8" of missing sealant, and a huge shaving to the pillar covering material on the drivers side!

• 1 month later...

So a happy ending to this tale. Bought a new seal with chrome strip off eBay for £27 and fitted it this morning. Very pleased with the result and makes such a difference to the look of the car! Hopefully this will reduce wind noise I have as well. 

IMG-20170531-WA0003.jpeg

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links