Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering 2005 GS with only 30k km. Pitfalls? Thoughts?

I'm sure you get similar questions every week, but I couldn't find it using the search. So thanks in advance if you can provide any advice or links.

I'm considering a Lexus GS 300, with 31,400 km, and Full Service History. First registration on 09/2005, so about 11.5years ago. That averages 2700km/year, and I wonder how long has it been sitting idle. I plan to use the car as a daily driver.

So if I could benefit from your collective experience...

First: The car has very low mileage. I'm concered about all the car suffering from low usage issues at 11.5 years old. As they describe here. In principle it has full service at Lexus, so I wonder how much of this is prevented. Anyone in similar scenario of buying a hardly used GS or maybe other Lexus? How much should I budget for repairs on an ongoing basis?

Second: what do you think of the price? (18900 EUR, £16300 at today's exchange) I have no experience, and there are few GSs available around. And, frankly, I'm more concerned about the low mileage issues.

Third, any specific areas of concern? (other than the caramel color)

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'm sure there is a lot of information already on the forum, so please feel free to just post links to it.

Have a good day!

Untitled.png

I'd not touch it. Far too little use in too long a time. 

I like high milers, as folk that use them and need them to run, generally look after them. Once bought a low miles (20k miles 6yrs old) vw polo for wife's first car, it was dead within 7 month. Everything had gone hard, seals popped, gaskets broke, sensors died, starter motor seized, you name it, it broke. Water pump only lasted 3 weeks. That had full service history (each year without fail) to, but just hadn't been hot or got lube and fluids moving. Drove fine on test drive, if a bit stiff, but when started to be used daily, get weight in her and up to temp, she couldn't hack it.

Obviously the lexus is far better made, but, that's no miles and I doubt lexus build can be that much better. I'd say you'd need to plan to change everything rubber and all fluids, and lube everything at a minimum and be preparred to wait for this and that to split under heat and load.

BUT, at £16,000, I'd not even open the advert. I just paid £4500 for my 450h, great condition bar 1 or 2 minor things, but 144k miles. However, I can replace the whole car 3 times oven and break even with the cost of this one, far too expensive. £1,600 worth a punt maybe if checks out (if the mileage is genuine, could well be clocked) but not 10fold price.

Just my 2p.

However that said, do buy a gs, even if have to come here or another country and drive it home to get proper price. I love mine and so pleased with it, so although not a 300, must be similar and therefore recommend the jump.

Thanks Upex for sharing the VW Polo experience. That is exactly my nightmare scenario. And confirms me that the article I linked originally about low mileage unused cars was not just a scare story, but a likely scenario. While the Lexus is probably better quality, it has been idle for double the time. I will pass.

Also, thanks to Britprius and The-Acre for their outraged responses re price. Double the reason to pass on it.

Best regards,

Patxi

• Like 1

Pass on the ridiculous price of course but I've never seen any issues reported on this forum as a result of low mileage  (someone will put me right)...

My mums Toyota is the same year with far less mileage and nothing has broken as a result of it doing less than a 1500 miles a year. Still on the original exhaust.   

If you're looking for a daily driver, I'd steer clear of this one. Its price is far greater than its value, unless you're looking for a museum exhibit.

Its value is in its low mileage, which as a daily driver, will disappear rapidly and you'll be left with a very expensive old car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links