Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slight knocking noise - is this normal?

So I'm not sure whether I've gained extra sensitive ears all of the sudden but I've started to notice a strange, very subtle, knocking noise when the engine is on idle. The injectors overpower the noise by quite a bit but its still audible, even more so inside the car as it seems to be closer to the dash inside. Can anyone listen and let me know if this is out of the ordinary?

thanks

5 minutes ago, lxon said:

So I'm not sure whether I've gained extra sensitive ears all of the sudden but I've started to notice a strange, very subtle, knocking noise when the engine is on idle. The injectors overpower the noise by quite a bit but its still audible, even more so inside the car as it seems to be closer to the dash inside. Can anyone listen and let me know if this is out of the ordinary?

thanks

No that is not a usual noise not on mine anyway. Is there any oil in the car??

2 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

No that is not a usual noise not on mine anyway. Is there any oil in the car??

well its just been serviced and no engine lights on at all so I'm assuming oil is okay

16 minutes ago, lxon said:

well its just been serviced and no engine lights on at all so I'm assuming oil is okay

I would check engine takes over 6 litres of oil. Did it sound like that before service or do you not know??

13 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

I would check engine takes over 6 litres of oil. Did it sound like that before service or do you not know??

Will check later, I did not sound like that before the service no. It also didn't sound like that after the service - I just noticed it last night :/

9 minutes ago, johnatg said:

You check oil with the dipstick, not with the dash lights!

Haha - will do once i step out

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Actually, I am struggling to hear anything thought injectors clicking. What I can say it sounds rather "loud", but I cannot hear "knocking" as such.

Maybe I'm just imagining things then, will check the oil as thats the only thing people recommended. Its also under warranty so if anything goes wrong, should be covered

It sounds bit loud, like a very cold engine, lack of lubrication around hydraulic lifter maybe(these can be like machinegun if revved when cold). Does it sound same when fully warm?

Not much else to say, from others already said - keep an eye on the oil level... 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

As Linas - cant hear anything through the noise of the injectors. Sounds normal to me but I would check your oil though.

21 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Noise could be due to the introduction of new oil into the engine - maybe heavier oil was in it before masking the noise?

Correct grade gone in this time?

Did as you guys said, oil levels seem okay

It had a major service - which means they drain the engine and refill (I'm assuming with the same oil?) So my first guess is that it would be using the same oil as before. But as you guys said, I can definitely hear the engine inside now - definitely sounds louder but whether this is a cause for concern? 

Will try to get a longer video later and maybe try to put the phone right up against where I think the noise is coming from

Heres a better and longer video, hopefully you guys can make out the noise I'm referring too. It seems to be coming from the top right hand side of the engine when facing it from the front. Again, a bit difficult to hear but the engine sounds louder inside the car than it did before. I'm sure if I bring it to Lexus they'll just say "it sounds normal"

2 minutes ago, lxon said:

Heres a better and longer video, hopefully you guys can make out the noise I'm referring too. It seems to be coming from the top right hand side of the engine when facing it from the front. Again, a bit difficult to hear but the engine sounds louder inside the car than it did before. I'm sure if I bring it to Lexus they'll just say "it sounds normal"

The noise could be bearing related, maybe the video is making it sound louder, i can say mines as quiet as a church mouse. You will always get injector

noise. If you hear it inside then some thing is a miss. If you rev the engine does the pitch change note? Trouble with uploading videos is you will get 

umpteen different answers i am afraid. And saying its louder on one side can be deceiving.

I have just video'd mine - from cold, and it sounds very similar although standing by the engine with the bonnet open its quiet - when I have put the camera where you have indicated your noise is and played it back its quiet loud. Guess its the sensitivity of the mic. I have no issue with mine yet on play back its as rough as a bears a@*e.

If I figure out how to post a video on the forum I will

VIDEO0029.mp4

Video posted above - compare them both .... The video I took was when the car was cold - had not used the car for 7 hours. Although loud, all you can hear are the injectors. The video mic makes it sound noisier in the specific areas - when standing by the bonnet (bonnet open) then there is little noise and no noise in the cabin except for a low hum.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On 01/04/2017 at 7:40 AM, is200 Newbie said:

VIDEO0029.mp4

Video posted above - compare them both .... The video I took was when the car was cold - had not used the car for 7 hours. Although loud, all you can hear are the injectors. The video mic makes it sound noisier in the specific areas - when standing by the bonnet (bonnet open) then there is little noise and no noise in the cabin except for a low hum.

Hope this helps

On 31/03/2017 at 6:20 PM, is200 Newbie said:

I have just video'd mine - from cold, and it sounds very similar although standing by the engine with the bonnet open its quiet - when I have put the camera where you have indicated your noise is and played it back its quiet loud. Guess its the sensitivity of the mic. I have no issue with mine yet on play back its as rough as a bears a@*e.

If I figure out how to post a video on the forum I will

Had a good listen to yours, I'll let my car sit for a while before I try again and compare to yours. Your car seems to be idling at higher revs than mine even when cold but I'll double check. I can SLIGHTLY hear the knocking sound I can hear in my car however in yours - its very very subtle and quiet. The noise I'm referring to is definitely more noticeable when the car is at low revs, for example - I can hear a difference when shifting in gear from Park etc.

Thanks for the video - definitely helps! Will let you know how yours compares to mine cold since its the same year model etc

My car has a slight knocking type of sound on idle... but i think its just the type of general sound associated with a big agricultural diesel engine... its not harmed the car in any way... and its a lot quieter than the clicky injectors as in a background noise