Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

8 hours ago, Malc said:

ok, £168 per hour ..... my indy charges me £30 ( or is it now £40 ) per hour and no vat  ( he's below the threshold )  ......  and I pay his cost price for the consumables too..... and I trust him totally.

You may remember i mentioned before looking at the Honda Legend bills that came with my purchase of that car that Honda Main Stealer charge £12 a litre for the engine oil ( x 6 ltrs ) alone but a really low cost  £120 per hour labour incl vat 

Heaven knows how any normal soul can afford to use main dealers for anything :zorro:

Malc

Speaking of bills that came with cars, my last LS430 came with an old invoice for......£4,950 for replacing a wiring loom under the dashboard. 

Glad you mentioned that, shell helix has some bargain prices at the moment from £22:50 for 5 litres, I have not ordered but but it seems that 'might'? include delivery, not sure what the ultra means but at a guess it might mean it takes higher temps when driveing conrinuously at speed for long journeys.....pure guesswork though

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=shell+helix+ultra+5w-30&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

On 3/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, dendonc said:

Glad you mentioned that, shell helix has some bargain prices at the moment from £22:50 for 5 litres, I have not ordered but but it seems that 'might'? include delivery, not sure what the ultra means but at a guess it might mean it takes higher temps when driveing conrinuously at speed for long journeys.....pure guesswork though

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=opera&q=shell+helix+ultra+5w-30&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I think Shell's R&D into engine oil is just guesswork.

I don't think they know what any of the number and letter combinations mean, it only there to confuse folk.

Watch and listen, it does go on a bit but does enlighten.

I think Shell's R&D into engine oil is just guesswork.

I don't think they know what any of the number and letter combinations mean, it only there to confuse folk.

Well there is one thought chain which thinks/assumes that the supermarket branded oils are actually made by the normal major oil companies (shell BP etc) giving those companies mass supermarket outlets throughout UK as well as their comparitively small garage forcourt sales, it makes sound commercial sense, the supermarket buyers would feel more secure in maintaining their reputation than buying Joe Blogs Oil PLC.

The problem is the manufacturers can label an oil as fully synthetic when it really isn't, of course that depends on what you think fully synthetic oil is! Ester based or PAO based? which most are not.

Here's an interesting blog that may well confuse matters even more! https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

My last oil was Asda's and the spec was absolutely top notch. Probably made by Comma oil.

Yes I've used asda oil for quite a while now, had it & filter changed around 4 weeks ago

On 29/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, Mark G said:

A good point made on the reliability of the vehicles giving the dealer the chance to make money on servicing only, mine is on a service plan for another 12 months, after that I will be looking for a good independent I can trust, problem is there doesn't appear to be any around the area I live.

I know Wiltshire is a big county, but Gas & Go in Swindon are where I take mine, they are right next to Swindon railway station.  Appreciate if you're down near Salisbury then Swindon a bit of a pain.

The key is to read the full spec, not be prejudiced.

The only full spec on asda 5-30 is "fully synthetic", do mean chemical ingredients or something along that line of thougjht?

Shanra

The problem is the manufacturers can label an oil as fully synthetic when it really isn't, of course that depends on what you think fully synthetic oil is! Ester based or PAO based? which most are not.

Shanra, I don't know if you are aware of the custodial penalties under the various criminal deception laws or you are not, but, make no mistake whatsoever if some (eg Asda, Shell, BP, Tesco etc etc) start deliberatly deceiving consumers by selling goods which are not what they say they are the fraud squad would hit them like a ton of bricks.

I think you should, (today), immediatly take your tangible evidence of whoever is selling oil labeled & sold as synthetic when it is not synthetic and give to your local police force - take into account withholding the evidence you clearly imply you have is also a criminal offence, alternativley stop talking tosh about a multi billion pound national scam by a variety of retailers & manufacturers........hmm, Asda & Kray Ltd

WIKI, SYNTHETIC OIL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

• Like 1

Well Denis it's not illegal and I never said it was, dubious practice yes! Here's some more tosh for you:

Below is an article written by John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs Chief R & D Chemist for 40 years.

Quote:

Costs of synthetics vary considerably. The most expensive are the ?Ester? types originally only used in jet engines. These cost 6 to 10 times more than high quality mineral oils.

The cheapest synthetics are not really synthetic at all, from a chemists point of view. These are in fact specially refined light viscosity mineral oils known as ?hydrocracked?. These have some advantages over equivalent mineral oils, particularly in lower viscosity motor oils such as 5w-30 or other oils with a low ?W? rating such as 5w-50 etc and they cost about 1.5 times more than good quality mineral fractions.

We use several different grades of this base oil, where appropriate. This is the ?synthetic? which is always used in cheap oils that are labelled ?synthetic?. Yes it?s a cruel world, you get what you pay for!

Now, you may ask, why are these special mineral oils called ?synthetic??

Well, it was all sorted in a legal battle that took place in the USA about ten years ago. Sound reasons (including evidence from a Nobel Prize winning chemist) were disregarded and the final ruling was that certain mineral bases that had undergone extra chemical treatments could be called ?synthetic?.

Needless to say, the marketing executives wet their knickers with pure delight! They realised that this meant, and still does, that the critical buzz-word ?synthetic? could be printed on a can of cheap oil provided that the contents included a few percent of ?hydrocracked? mineral oil, at a cost of quite literally a few pence.

So, the chemistry of ?synthetics? is complex and so is the politics!

The economics are very simple. If you like the look of a smart well-marketed can with ?synthetic? printed on it, fair enough, it will not cost you a lot; and now you know why this is the case.

But, if you drive a high performance car, and you intend to keep it for several years, and maybe do the odd ?track day?, then you need a genuine Ester/PAO (Poly Alpha Olefin) synthetic oil.

This oil costs more money to buy, because it costs us a lot of money to make, very simply, you always get what you pay for!

• Like 2

Oh yes all this what is synthetic and what is not. Now they are even more clever and selling synthetic technology oils which is old good semi synth like Shell HX7.

Anyway for me Amsoil is the best - it is a little bit pricy especially in the UK but you are not changing it everyday.

I read it (extract below)...........

Below is an article written by John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs

.............& what to is glaringly obvious that the guy does not name one single brand, sound quite wealthy & liable could just about empty his bank account, which is why I said before "any tangible evidence" John Roland is heresay..........'dendonc' said in a statement:yahoo:

60k mile service on my ISF last year was £479. Then parts prices were £105 for 8 spark plugs, £88 for 9 litres of oil, £224 for front discs, £311 for front pads....none of this is inclusive of vat.

10 hours ago, dendonc said:

I read it (extract below)...........

Below is an article written by John Rowland, Silkolene/Fuchs

.............& what to is glaringly obvious that the guy does not name one single brand, sound quite wealthy & liable could just about empty his bank account, which is why I said before "any tangible evidence" John Roland is heresay..........'dendonc' said in a statement:yahoo:

I couldn't understand what you were saying then I realised you meant he was liable to libel. It's lucky Den Donk that you're not a barrister or you'd have an empty bank account as well. No one appears to have taken him to court as of yet. You are correct anything Roland said would be heresay but he'd be talking about keyboards on the other hand Rowland the chemist would be an expert in the field. Here's some more for your enquiring mind: http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/synth_diff.php:whip::wink3:

It's lucky Den Donk that you're not a barrister or you'd have an empty bank account as well.

Your right, & barristers are also lucky they aren't snake charmers or they would not have a pot to hiss in to publicise their charms,

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-snake-man-charms-court-busker-denis-carthy-was-let-off-a-fine-on-monday-20358331.html