Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheeler Dealers - End of an era

bobmc

Seems Ed China has left Wheeler Dealers 

They're replacing him with Ant Anstead after a disagreement on the production of the show

• Like 2

TBH, the format had gone off the rails a little already IMO. I understand the 'Americanisation' because of the new owners but I preferred the Season when they did a mixed UK/US episode series. Also some of the wackier projects like the survivalist car were a bit off-beam for me.

Be interested to see what Ed ends up doing

I'm happy hes leaving as he might have time to sort my car when needed as he only charges for parts. We used to see Edd around lots in Hartley Wintney especially his motorized sofa. I probably wont bother with the new series as Edd I felt was the program.

• Like 1

So velocity took over and within a season lost the biggest asset to the show. Ed will move on to new things and be good at whatever he tries. Mike on the other hand is hoping ant anstead can step into eds shoes and velocity keep the show going . It will never be the same though.

• Like 1

@bobmc Good post, it did seem of late that the Ed and the 'rotund one' appeared a little uncomfortable at times, especially with the US changes made to the programme. I for one always enjoyed the show purely from the car and bloke perspective and I believe Ed will make a success of whatever he does in the future, I think Ant is the intelligent choice for the role having regard his personable tv manner and spanner skills.

Unusual for someone to appear and explain a departure like this nowadays especially in the litigious Americanised world we live in.

Big Rat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shame. Watched every single episode a number of times over I would think. I didn't like the US thing so much, ok for a few episodes but not really my scene although I did like the Maserati Bi-Motor! I'll take a quick look at the new episodes when they air but the big man was the show as far as I was concerned and Mike could sometimes get on my nerves a bit to be honest. Met Edd in Harrods once. He was standing at a counter next to me and I got neck ache looking up at him - he's so damn tall and I'm so damn short!! I told him I loved the show but didn't want to bother him any more than that. A nice guy

• Like 1

mike brewer does my head in on the show when at the end he comes in and says

Oh Edd you've done it again it looks like new, alot of the time Edd hasn't done anything

i.e. a full respray, a full interior retrim & refurbed wheels all completed by a 3rd party

if you get someone to do these 3 jods then the car will look like new

mike is to over the top for my liking , it will be nice for Edd to have his own show.

4 hours ago, 200h said:

mike brewer does my head in on the show when at the end he comes in and says

Oh Edd you've done it again it looks like new, alot of the time Edd hasn't done anything

i.e. a full respray, a full interior retrim & refurbed wheels all completed by a 3rd party

if you get someone to do these 3 jods then the car will look like new

mike is to over the top for my liking , it will be nice for Edd to have his own show.

They quite often forget too include a set of new tyres, but I always felt that if MB was to leave the show he wouldnt be missed but Ed leaving is a completely different matter as he was the show. I am sure we seen the last of Ed and as for MB, best get himself a job in car sales.

I actually didn't mind the US version as they covered some pretty classic motors and a couple of odd balls also.

My favourite all time line was when they the Lamborghini Urraco....

Edd said....

Finally there's a bull in the China shop..... always made me smile. 😄

Good luck to him, I think he could do so much more......I think he would also be a good ambassador for mechanical engineering teaching kids, young people etc. & lord knows we need some of that in this country.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

• Like 1

wow WTF why Ed China leaving sick of shows going to **** same for Top gear and that is gone to **** now all presenters gone from it and move to The Grand Tour. Looks Like I will follow where eds going to if he comes out with a new show then am sure to follow it. Mike Brewer never really liked him on the show it would of been better if Mike left and edd stays., Cant wait tho to see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:51 PM, Vintagesixtysix said:

I actually didn't mind the US version as they covered some pretty classic motors and a couple of odd balls also.

My favourite all time line was when they the Lamborghini Urraco....

Edd said....

Finally there's a bull in the China shop..... always made me smile. 😄

Good luck to him, I think he could do so much more......I think he would also be a good ambassador for mechanical engineering teaching kids, young people etc. & lord knows we need some of that in this country.

I agree. He comes across so well. Even my wife, who almost chooses a car based on its colour, thinks he is brilliant and is quite happy to sit through the workshop elements of a WD episode. She thinks Mike Brewer is a bit smarmy mind.

To be honest I still watched the US shows but already I could see the emphasis changing from what was happening in the workshop to what happened outside of the workshop. I guess this will only increase given Edd's video piece.

Yes you can see the new American productions teams format creeping in......I think they also produce "Fast & Loud" with messers Rawlings & Kauffman.

I had to smile on one of the WD episodes......I think Edd was wearing one of his T-shirts saying Loud & Proud which I think was a nod to F&L.......and then Mike Brewer used the a Kauffman line ...... "Lower the altitude & raise the attitude"......(reference to ride height).

So I think even though I quite like Ant the new guy coming in......I think WD risks loosing its simple charm.

Yes I know guys......I need to get out more! 😜

Seems that Mike Brewer has had death threats and quite a bit of abuse on social media regarding this. Absolutely ridiculous. Surely it's a case of watching the new show if you want to or not watching it if you don't want to, nothing more

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2017 at 10:51 PM, Vintagesixtysix said:

I ran kit car racing team at my local school, sponsored by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, it was very interesting to watch and help the children to build and then learn to drive. They even took part in races against other teams. The sad part was that it was getting harder to raise a team ( only 6 pupils) as most of the children were not that interested! It was cracking project but screen based entertainment won in the end. I would have loved when I was 10 but never had such an opportunity. Engineering is SOOOOO important to the future of our economy and country, we need to make more.

• Like 3