Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys,

I've always been tempted by the Lexus GS and currently own a 2006 long wheel base S class. A fantastic car but a proper money pit..if it wasn't so unreliable I would keep it for 10 years. Anyway I'm in the market now looking to PX my S class with a GS and two models that have caught my eye are the GS300h and 450h. I've sat in the 450h and was very impressed and knowing Lexus's reliability I am now edging towards the latter. My current car averages 29 mpg and is a 3.0 litre diesel, so in terms of poke it's more than I need. 

I have a 2 year old who is getting fed up of using the pram so boot space isn't the biggest issue for me anymore so the questions are which one would you recommend? I'm really tempted by the 300h economy and running costs but worried about the acceleration as i'm not one to hang about (probably why my merc keeps breaking). The 450h is the more viable option but I do about 20,000 miles a year so fuel economy on the motorway is a big factor. 

Which one would you recommend? Also is there a must have in terms of spec? I want to spend about 16k and looking on autotrader this is the entry level for both types of cars. 

Sorry to hear that your Merc is giving you trouble, it seems to be a common story these days.

I'm really pleased with my GS450H and it's good that you don't have an issue with the boot. Actually the later 450H's have a bigger boot so you maybe okay depending on your budget.

At motorway speeds the petrol engine will be the primary force powering the vehicle​. So as I understand it the Hybrid system won't have much benefit at speed.

Good luck in your quest to join us :)

• Like 1

I've had many MM's since I bought my first one new back in '93. Since then I've had 2 x 190E 2.00 2 x R129's (one a 60) 2 x ML 1 x S Class (420) a CLK55, an SLK320 and a GES300.

All I can say is welcome to a marque that makes cars as MB used to. I still have my '91 G, carved out of stone.

Oh, and by the way, both the cars you have in mind will knock your s class 0-60 out of the park.

I can't speak for the 450h, but if you're 'not one to hang about' then the 300h is probably not for you. It's not a rewarding car to drive hard, and when you do floor it everywhere you lose out on what it does best - smoothness and economy. The 300h drivetrain is all about relaxed progress - it is superb at delivering that along with 50+mpg. Thrash it, and you can easily be down in the low 30s with precious little enjoyment to show for it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

I can't speak for the 450h, but if you're 'not one to hang about' then the 300h is probably not for you. It's not a rewarding car to drive hard, and when you do floor it everywhere you lose out on what it does best - smoothness and economy. The 300h drivetrain is all about relaxed progress - it is superb at delivering that along with 50+mpg. Thrash it, and you can easily be down in the low 30s with precious little enjoyment to show for it.

Hm...he is comparing it to a LWB S class with a 3 litre diesel engine  :)

I had an s class 320, loved it, had all the toys, even some the lexus doesn't have but, that died to. Altornator went, 1300 to replace, 3 weeks later an air strut went, replaced that at 400ish for that new strut to fail whilst left at an airport. Flew in at 3am and burnt out the pump trying to reinflate the suspension. Thought screw it and drove home dragging its sorry ***** the 60miles home, that really killed it lol.

Regretted doing that and missed the car ever since, that is until got the 450h.

95% of the toys, 95% as comfy, 90% as quiet, 150+% more go (if not more) and give or take the same frugal-ness on the old go juice.

Mine far older than what you looking at, but from loving my sclass more than any other car (had over 50), I love the gs more, and the newer ones look better and I'm pretty sure must be better pretty much all round to.

Don't forget petrol cheaper than diesel, and youll not have to boot it half as much as the oil burner, so if economy broadly similar, I say get the 450 and enjoy the power.  

• Like 1

450h sounds like it'd suit you better - goes like stink and should do better than 29mpg on the motorway. It got roughly 35mpg on the motorway in my hands. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rayaans said:

450h sounds like it'd suit you better - goes like stink and should do better than 29mpg on the motorway. It got roughly 35mpg on the motorway in my hands. 

Yeah, and I wonder what's the merc does, 32/35ish? Is so, price difference pretty much makes it even, go for it gh421, can't complain at extra fiver here or there when get all the extra ommmppphhhhh 

I've got a 300h and agree with Ten Ninety, it suits a relaxed driver. It can pick up it's skirts and go in Sports mode, but it doesn't really feel like it's accelerating hard.

Fortunately, it's pretty much ideal for me.

I have a 450h. Currently averaging about 43mpg going from Bolton to my client near Blackpool every day. That is about 8 miles town traffic to the motorway, about 30 odd miles on the motorway sitting at 70 and then another 6 miles of 50/30/20 mph roads to the site (each way). Best I've managed going is 52mpg. Driving to Spain and back, averaged about 40 over 2k miles including sat at 90 on french toll roads. 

Worse case my 450h is about 10% worse than my old E350cdi.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, the 450h seems to be the general consensus. In regards to spec is there anything a must and to look out for? I think for me it would be a sunroof (got two in the S class) and the wide screen nav. I've got a CVT Honda Jazz in the family and must say it's a horrible gearbox but that's probably because it's mated to a 1.4. A V6 must be a different beast all together. The S class pick up is quite agressive with considerable turbo lag. 0-60 is mid 7's so it's not a slow car for it's bulk

I had a Mercedes S class 280  W reg  W126 and it was the greatest car I ever had until I found my LS400 and fell in love in the same way I had done with the Mercedes all those years before. Sadly unlike Lexus the reliability these days on Mercedes is dreadful. I will stay with Lexus now. Happy Lexus motoring

• Like 1

I too would recommend the 450h, which is very refined. The 300h is a good car, but cannot compete from a performance perspective. MPG wise, not a huge difference because the 300h will make you pay for the performance you are looking for, whereas the 450h will take it in its stride.

the F Sport has better and more sporty looks and offer colour combinations not available with other models. On the other hand, the Premier has ALL the toys... but is more expensive.

As well as Autotrader, you should check the Lexus website. Cars may be a little more expensive, but Lexus dealers tend to only keep the best on their forecourts. For peace of mind, the warranty offered by Lexus dealers is excellent.

• Like 1

I have a Premier and it does have a lot of toys, most of which I don't use. You may wish to consider Pre-collision braking which comes with adaptive cruise control which I don't have but which could be handy. I don't know if later years have a head up display. The FSport which matches my 2013 onwards model has rear steering which is supposed to be good and variable ratio steering which I fancy but it also has black headlining - great if you're a Goth - and aluminium rather than wood trim inside which appears to dent very easily. It also has 20" wheels which look great but you'll need to be very careful parking near kerbs. I believe also that to provide the "more aggressive frontal aspect" there aren't any fog lights but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will soon correct me. I like my 450h very much it is very quick but also very smooth. Enjoy your purchase.

On 29/03/2017 at 10:09 AM, Gh421 said:

Thanks everyone, the 450h seems to be the general consensus. In regards to spec is there anything a must and to look out for? I think for me it would be a sunroof (got two in the S class) and the wide screen nav. I've got a CVT Honda Jazz in the family and must say it's a horrible gearbox but that's probably because it's mated to a 1.4. A V6 must be a different beast all together. The S class pick up is quite agressive with considerable turbo lag. 0-60 is mid 7's so it's not a slow car for it's bulk

I believe the GS450h is 5.9s to 60mph so its pretty quick for its heft. The best thing is the mid-range pull though, seems to go like a train!

Depending on what you want, the F-Sport has stiffer suspension and a Sport S+ mode for the adaptive dampers. It also comes with rear wheel steering which is fantastic, helps a lot in tight car parks etc. 

The Sunroof may be hard to locate - not many owners went for it. 

The wide-screen nav is standard on the Premier model and on facelift models. It was available on the Luxury and F-Sport models as an option. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links