Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS460 SE erratic throttle response

I have a 2007 low mileage LS460 SE with a full Lexus service history, the car has covered 70k.

the erratic throttle responses seem to come and go and the local Lexus dealer seems baffled by the problem, the Lexus owners club in America has pages of owners having the same problem but of course engine/transmission setup/software will be different in the USA so may not be relevant.

have any members had issues like this with their LS460's and if so how were they overcome.

Duncan

Why would the engine/transmission set up be different for the US the Lexus is a universal brand sold all over the world.

There are differences in the physical inhert parts of the cars but I doubt if the driveline is any different.

The Lexusowners forum in the US as a lot more members with your model so that site is more likely to have your answers.

Hi Phil, thanks for your prompt reply....just for clarification I was referring to the engine/transmission software set up in the Lexus rather than physical differences.

Many states in the USA has different rules in respect of emissions which I presume are different to those in the UK/Europe, I could well be wrong in this respect but I am hoping my post will throw up some answers from 460 owners here in the UK.

Duncan

I understand you were referring to the software and to that extent the set up for the UK will not be any different.

Lexus use the criteria set by California  for their emissions  benchmark which to my knowledge is the same on any Lexus LS worldwide.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil for the information, in the states there were a number software updates for the 460 so I am wondering if these have been done on the 460, I would be surprised if they had not.

the car is back with the Lexus dealer who are again trying to solve the erratic throttle responses which seem to occurs several times a week but then can go a couple weeks without a problem??

Your floor mat is not fouling the throttle pedal is it?

I would assume that this model is "drive by wire" so hopefully there will be some form of fault codes stored, there should be a sensor on the throttle pedal and a servo motor operating the throttle butterfly.

Hi Steve, the floor mat was the first thing Lexus checked initially, the flyby wire throttle is one suspect, MAF sensor another suspect. The dealer says there is no fault code displayed on the diagnostic machine?? The search for a resolution goes on!!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine became a problem at about 55k miles.  Lexus Cambridge's response was to clean the throttle body.   The problem went away and hasn't come back, so I was well impressed.

Hi scythe, thanks for the information....I will talk to Lexus Chester to see if they can do the same.

a tip from the American Lexus site was to try switching to "power mode", did this and the issue seems to have gone away at the moment but not sure if this is just coincidence??

I once experienced same kinda problem with my GS430 and I tried two things which fixed it for me.

1. removed MAF sensor and cleaned it with alcohol, its called isopropyl some thing. Also used cotton bud dipped in it to clean MAF tips very gently.

2. Did ECU reset and left Battery disconnected for few hours.

Worth a try ?

AJ 

• 5 years later...

has anyone found the solution? i am in uk have a 2007 lexus ls460 after an oil service i had transmission problems.... i have replaced oil with 0w20 but problem still exists... is there a uk software fix