Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wind noise - Anyone fixed it?

I've got a 2015 Exec so just over two years old, relatively low millage at 25k.

When sitting in the passenger seat I can hear significant wind noise over 70 mph, it's very odd as when driving the car I can't notice it. It almost feels like the window is slightly open and first instinct is to check the windows switch is fully up.

Had the car been in it's first year warranty I'd have taken it into the dealers, not sure if warranty for years 2/3 cover this and I don't want a high bill for investigation work. I tried moving the wing mirror in but makes no difference.

Anyone else have this and managed to fix it?

Might be worth checking your door rubber.  I have same car/year/mileage and creaking/popping sounds  - but not wind - from rear offside door traced to door rubber, since corrected (free) by garage applying silicone. 

Thanks, that's good to know you weren't charged. I was going to try the silicon spray but seems too excessive that some Silicon would fix, but I'm popping into Halfords tonight.

I assume I'm not the only one who gets this, not much on the web regarding this for IS300h. My previous IS was silent, same year and millage, seems to be coming from the windows but difficult to locate the source, rubber seals look fine though, might try masking tape to pinpoint it.   

8 minutes ago, IS300Hdriver said:

Try some Gummi pflege on the seals and silicone lube the living daylights out of your door catches

thanks, I've seen this mentioned, is it this stuff? I'll order it now

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonax-340000-SONAX-03400000-Rubber/dp/B002MZZNU8/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1490890416&sr=8-1&keywords=gummi+pflege

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

we've experienced this on the Ls400 forum and from personal experience too ....  the windscreen just might need re-fitting:sad:

Malc

That sounds expensive. I don't think the windscreens ever been replaced, could have been as I'm the second owner. 

22 hours ago, Malc said:

not to replace, just to re-sit it if possible

When i had a new screen the wind noise thankfully vanished

Malc

Thanks for this, I think this could be the answer, I've checked all the other glass and it has a Lexus badge, the windscreen just says pilkinton so must have been replaced at some point. Could well be badly fitted, I'm going to tape it all up and see if the noise goes away, if it does then I'll call a local fitter to refit it, hopefully using oem rubbers, genuine Lexus screen is going to be ££

Em, not sure but you might not be able to refit the screen. Is the screen a bonded one on the IS?  Most are nowadays. You will need a fitter with the patience of a saint to cut it out, clean it up and refit it again if it is. 

i have battled with wind noise around the front doors for 18 months and cannot find a cure for it

i have cleaned the door seals and lubricated them,lubricated the glass channels,taped around the

top of the glass to door frame and still haven't got any where ,i'm just living with it now.

• 2 weeks later...

After taping up the windscreen and using the gummi pflege I still had the wind noise. 

What I found was that by putting a small rag in the far top corner of the passenger windows the noise disappeared. It needs to be held in fair tight against the glass and the door frame. 

Found the source now finding a fix. Does anyone know if the window is adjustable, i.e. One side can be made to push up further? I did think of putting a windows sealer but don't think that will be a long term fix. Any ideas?? 

if i understand correctly

could you pull out the window seal from the door channel and place a piece of

felt in the channel then replace the seal this could possibly tighten up the seal around the glass.

Thanks, not sure if the seal in the windows frame is easily removable. Before I start pulling things apart I'll try to find out if the window glass is adjustable. By the sounds of it the fit between the glass and seal needs to be tighter.