Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking to buy a IS220D

tonusmaxumus79

Hi all, new member here.:yes:

I am going to look at 2x  is220d's on the weekend.

Ive done tons of research on here over the last few days, i know they have lots of issues but i just love the look of them and i've always wanted one.My hart is saying 220d my head saying IS250.

One is a 2008 SE with 93k miles the other is a 2010 SE with 108k miles.Both have full service histories. 

My question is, did the 2010 model get any revisions, did Lexus change any components, ie the common faults, Head gasket, filth injector for example.

Or would it be the same bit of kit as the earlier 220D's

Thanks in advanced, any would be great.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

There are many members on the LOC who own and have had no problems with the 220d and equally there are some who have had major problems with them for the reasons you mention and a few more besides.

This was the one and only diesel engined Lexus produced apart from the IS200d and there have been no further diesel models so ask yourself why?

OK Lexus have taken the hybrid route but not continued with diesels.

The IS250 is well respected and appears to meet the reliability and expectations of the Lexus brand and I understand the fuel consumption is on par with the 220d.

Also bear in mind all diesel vehicles are fitted with DPFs which if not treated correctly are costly to replace so if you are using the car for only local commuting this is another factor to consider.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

There are many members on the LOC who own and have had no problems with the 220d and equally there are some who have had major problems with them for the reasons you mention and a few more besides.

This was the one and only diesel engined Lexus produced apart from the IS200d and there have been no further diesel models so ask yourself why?

OK Lexus have taken the hybrid route but not continued with diesels.

The IS250 is well respected and appears to meet the reliability and expectations of the Lexus brand and I understand the fuel consumption is on par with the 220d.

Also bear in mind all diesel vehicles are fitted with DPFs which if not treated correctly are costly to replace so if you are using the car for only local commuting this is another factor to consider.

You are wrong my friend :)

https://www.lexus.co.nz/en/models/lx/lx-450d.html

After little work is220d is a good car, but you need to make some steps, cuz is220d is factory broken.

Hello and welcome to the forum. 

You say you you love the look of the 220d but the is250 looks better with the twin exhaust and sounds far far better with that lovely V6 sound. It's more powerful, far more reliable and fuel economy is on par. In my case I get more mpg from my is250 than I did from my previous is220d. 

Whatever you do don't opt for a 220d over a 250. 

• Like 2

I've had both a 2004 IS200 and a 2008 (in 2008) 220d. 

I would have another IS200 in a heartbeat but I couldn't bring myself to drive the 220d. Aside from the list of known issues, it just wasn't very lexus. It rattled a lot and the 6th gear ratio was unusable. I also usually managed about 30mpg which is just awful. I'd definitely try a newer V6 as I strongly believe the diesel lump is the source of a lot of the badness. I think when you weigh in the risks of the DPF and price in fuel difference (and whatever is coming from the UK government) diesel isn't as safe a bet as it once was. 

If you have to do a lot of miles, and you're set on a diesel, my advice, buy something cheap and just don't like it :)

I did have the smaller 150bhp 200d as a courtesy car once and it was a bit more usable but I still wouldn't fancy the risk.

Andrew

- I forgot hills, the only saving grace was overtaking *everything* up large hills.

• 2 weeks later...