Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can you have fun without exceeding the speed limits?

I used to own a 5 litre TVR Chimaera. I loved the fact that I could enjoy the car at low speeds. The good old RV8 made a great noise - popped and banged all the time. I could go fast, but speed wasn't mandatory in order to enjoy the vehicle.

The F is a completely different animal. Refined, less agricultural, safe and no doubt vastly more capable. But I do find that to get the biggest smile on my face, I have to prod the F.  With it being such a capable car, the speed limits are approached very quickly and very easily.

I'd love to hear what you guys think. I'm guessing I'm going to be told to dump the stock exhaust.

• Like 1

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, since I have had the new exhaust fitted I can quite happily burble about and just listen to the soundtrack, at 2.5--3 thousand rpm it sounds absolutely incredible if you can get it between a row of buildings, it is not how loud it is it is the sound it makes, and then obviously where conditions allow....................well you know.

So I guess the answer is yes, I can enjoy it without going above the speed limit.

Previously I've looked into Induction kits, exhaust etc but decided to hang fire for now and happy with the noise from the car at present. 30mph is non eventful but 40mph +,  I find there can be some fun to be had on certain roads. No doubt I will give in to the exhaust or Induction at some point but happy with the stock and shell v power at the moment. If you're not satisfied @Flytvr here's something just for you... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stern-Schatz-GmbH-SR0101V8AA-SoundRacer/dp/B004CK587E 😁 😁 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Previously I've looked into Induction kits, exhaust etc but decided to hang fire for now and happy with the noise from the car at present. 30mph is non eventful but 40mph +,  I find there can be some fun to be had on certain roads. No doubt I will give in to the exhaust or Induction at some point but happy with the stock and shell v power at the moment. If you're not satisfied @Flytvr here's something just for you... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stern-Schatz-GmbH-SR0101V8AA-SoundRacer/dp/B004CK587E 😁 😁 

Ordered :biggrin:

• Like 1

The only "fun" I find these days on the road is the acceleration up to the speed limit so a slow roll up to 70 on a clear motorway slip road occasionally and the sticker below in the rear window.

IMG_0632.JPG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Jon, your post is not helping, but did make me laugh!! :biggrin:

I am very well behaved re speed limits, I do enough miles and, I suspect, getting old enough, to appreciate driving defensively these days. (cue boring old fart music)

However, on a recent trip back from Berlin, early on a sunny sunday morning, no lorries, sod all traffic, I was hoping to max it. Unfortunately, where there was a straight empty road, there was also fog (see previous reference to early in the morning), so I have not yet managed to see what the actual reported top speed really is.  Managed to get to 170 before I had to back down but there was still some left, though I suspect at that speed there is a significant difference between reported and actual speed. At lower speed my speedo seems to be around +5%.

Got another holiday in Germany planned later this year so might see if I can give it another go.

• Like 1

It all depends on the road.  There are plenty of national speed limit roads which are twisty enough to be interesting at legal speeds.

At low speeds/gentle cruising it's not really event but the fact that it's so easy is something I really like about it.

The thing I do is use it in sport Manual mode, 2nd gear and 3rd on the twisty b roads. The car really kicks you into the seat coming out a corner about 3000 rpm then give it the welly.

Any you guys use manual a lot?

Fuel consumption is high when you drive it this way but the only way to really know what this car can do is sport mode on and use manual mode.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark6pot said:

The thing I do is use it in sport Manual mode, 2nd gear and 3rd on the twisty b roads. The car really kicks you into the seat coming out a corner about 3000 rpm then give it the welly.

Any you guys use manual a lot?

Fuel consumption is high when you drive it this way but the only way to really know what this car can do is sport mode on and use manual mode.

Yes, manual mode pretty much all the time.

Sounds like you have some nice roads around you Mark.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and have come to the conclusion that fun in driving does not have to be related to high speeds. Let me try to explain; Many years ago i had a motorcycle, a 550cc 52 hp machine i could drive absolute full throttle almost everywhere, into the limiter in most gears, flat through corners and just act like a complete hooligan. A friend of mine bought a 900 cc bike and after driving i just didn like it, too much power could not use more than 60% on normal roads. Another friend of mine drives a 911 carrera 4 and sometimes goes for a spin on the countryroads around our village. Of course he likes it but told me repeatedly he had so much fun 30 years ago on the same roads in his then 911 with skinny tyres and way less power, pushing that car to the limit on every corner and just using 99% of its power. He can forget that with his current 911.

A true eye opener was when i bought my daughterś first car when she turned 18, a Suzuki Swift with a tiny 850cc 3 cylinder motorcycle engine, skinny tyres, weak brakes and a roadholding that can best be described as interesting. Oh Boy.. that car was fun to drive! Picking up and loosing revs like a bike engine, from 1st to 2nd to 3rd through the gears the engine screaming until that moment the roundabout comes up, trying to loose speed braking braking, shifting to second car leaning on its tyres then full throttle again out of the roundabaout into third into fourth and only later realising all this was well below 50mph.....

Of course a powerful car like the ISF will give thesame thrills but at 3 times the speed. Somebody once gave me the advice on how to improve the fun of driving out of your car by telling me ++ just get narrower tyres++   

• Like 1

I'll be paying attention to @Mark G's car on the blat. From there, I think it will be decision time. If I go for a new exhaust (cb), I'll have to stop picking on @Rusty Crobar. Hmmmm, maybe I'll stay stock after all :yes: 

On the other hand, I could just brush up on my estate agent jokes ( @emjay82 ).

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warrington guy said:

Lol where the hell do you get all pics and videos from . Great bit of banter 👍

Don't encourage him for Guinness sake!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warrington guy said:

Lol where the hell do you get all pics and videos from . Great bit of banter 👍

@Warrington guy 40 + years of army then building sites I guess and just not trying to like to seriously 😒 

Google is my friend, oh and my bit of search software 😏

Big Rat

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links