Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I like to, in the winter, have the temperature showing on the dash display in order to let me know to look out for ice but I also like the range showing also and find it a bit of a pain having to scroll through the options to get from one indication to the other all the time

I have thought for a while about getting another temperature readout but don't want to clutter the dash board by sticking things on etc or using up the power slots in the car. A while ago I bought a small temperature readout which came with a sensor. I was looking for one at a specific size to fit on the dash by the drivers air vent. This was the only flat piece of the dash that I thought it would fit in and be relatively out of the way of things without destroying anything.

Below is the sensor and read out I bought - from eBay.

IMAG0229.thumb.jpg.1b5cc273ec0e3a4fb3b0157479c221e2.jpg

I have had this in the car for 3 weeks now and it is pretty accurate compared to the dash display. I thought today, while the sun was out, that I would give it a go and see if would fit ok in the dash. the size was ok and the depth of the unit was ideal.

Before starting I placed a needle in 4 spots around where I was going to cut and I found it was foam and plastic. I opened up the side of the dash (it just clips off and on, just needs a bit of force at the front of the dash to remove - handy to know if anyone is wiring in their dash cams) to find what the plastic was and it was only a small part of the frame so was safe to cut out.

I went ahead and cut out the hole needed to house the unit - taking the vinyl off first and then working the foam out

IMAG0230.thumb.jpg.dc43baff4a70be35f7a394892e66f33a.jpg  IMAG0231.thumb.jpg.9c7bd7e3b26387564022baa4630d2f7d.jpg

The plastic is shown in the second picture and just needs to be removed - it is hollow when cut away.

Using a Stanley knife - the plastic is quite easy to cut away to allow the correct depth to fit the display into. It would be easier with a dremmel type drill but a bit messy I expect. With the correct depth gained the display slots in, (placing the sensor wire through the hole first)

IMAG0232.thumb.jpg.271ebdb690e0083af5a4691f43e0abbf.jpg

The wire is routed through the dash and is sitting in the door frame

IMAG0233.thumb.jpg.26f0e60d1d01149ec0b9028904add142.jpg IMAG0234.thumb.jpg.fd84ada2ba5e8588a951a255b3951fe8.jpg

You can just see the small sensor poking out of the trim in the second picture - this might not be its resting place, will need to compare it with the car temp display to get a good match. It was within 2 deg when I placed it here.

So with everything back in place, from the driving position the display is in view without having to take your eyes off the road.

IMAG0235.thumb.jpg.d0a5ee6f7fc6eece1476493ee178cf27.jpg

Job done - the display uses 2 x button cells so no wiring needed.

All told, it took about 15 mins to fit and looks like its a manufactured part !!

• Like 3

Neat job...however I would say under winter conditions seldom the temp changes that much having read it once.  

Also the VSC light will flicker and will beep if the wheels spin on any ice.  

I'm not knocking you as I said neat job and tastefully done.

I must admit I cringed at the first two pics but once fitted, looks neat.

Not something I feel I need but for those who do,  this will be a good solution